The Random Thoughts Thread

I have no idea where we will end up once the kids get settled in for good and our responsibilities to the older generation are over. But wherever we end up, even if the adventure opportunities are greater someplace new, home will always be the hemlock hollers of our rural Pennsylvanian roots. Sometimes the political environment or natural surroundings isn't as important as a factor as is finding the place where you just feel like you belong.

I have no idea where we will end up once the kids get settled in for good and our responsibilities to the older generation are over. But wherever we end up, even if the adventure opportunities are greater someplace new, home will always be the hemlock hollers of our rural Pennsylvanian roots. Sometimes the political environment or natural surroundings isn't as important as a factor as is finding the place where you just feel like you belong.

Indeed. There arent any perfect places. One may feel a place is perfect for them, but may not suit the next person. One has to find the balance that works for them.

End all this lamenting. There's only two kind of people in this world. People from Warriors Mark, PA and people who wish they were

Bullshit right back on ya, I could be any of those places in 2 hours from the Temecula valley. Easy.

Yes, taxes are too damn high. But it’s where our family is.

If Kate had moved to California instead of Colorado, Diane would be on Zillow. Looking in California. And you’d go if that’s what they (the girls) wanted.

Or else :rollingpin

Just like Ol’ Watashi
I'm not critical of you... it's just not for me. But it's also okay for me to disagree with you and express why civilly. And like Bob observed, it may not be like that, "yet".

Yes, I was wrong to say you can't make it to the beaches, "mountains", and deserts; they are achievable within that 2 hour time frame since Temecula is a desert town, as is for the most part all of SD, Orange, and LA County. My idea of mountains are the Sierra's, Rockies, Olympics... but that's my definition. But I guess your former commute from Murietta to CPCA was just a short commute, too, hence the odor of your argument remains feculent in my estimate.

I don't fault you for your love of the region - you love it there, family ties are strong, and the spouse has her expectations as well. I've got a connection there too - my in-laws still live there (secure in their investments before California taxation went crazy in the 1970's), and my wife and children were born there. We enjoyed every aspect of our lives there at that time, within the confines of regional population density, laws, salaries, and taxation at that time.

I can understand the bond... I long for the Bay Area that I enjoyed when we were living there. But subsequent returns to Northern California revealed it had changed dramatically and not for the better. Prices soared through the roof in all aspects that affects average consumers. Recreational access diminished or is now grossly overpopulated. Commute and/or travel times trebled along with the fees associated to cross those bridges or choke points. Quite simply, I can't afford to live there as a retiree and not be able to do anything beyond the confines of my residence but channel my fixed income to the state or lenders. Geez... I can say the same for Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA for that matter.

So, if my daughter moved to California instead of Colorado, Dianne could spend all the time she likes on Zillow, but it still wouldn't allow us the capacity to comfortably live in that state and pursue other travel goals, or visit my son and DIL overseas. It's just my simple math - yours may be different and that's wonderful that it is.

At the risk of derailing the discussion on the pros and cons of living in California (you do you and I'll do me), there's a lot to be said for the changes in suitability of a location based on changes in one's own circumstances and in the area.
For 20 years, we regretted leaving South Carolina and planned to retire in the greater Charleston area. A visit in '05 that included our old neighborhood and a look at growth and (re)development over the years had us both asking ourselves "why?" and it came off our list.
Places that are "nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" or that are great places to raise a family and/or build a career are legion.

1545520214037.png

funny story.. back when I was younger, a teacher at my little school took a few of the kids to London for a trip. While there they saw some pottery and seeing as how we live near Seagrove which is the pottery capital of the US she thought it would be neat to buy some pottery from a shop in London and show it off when they got home. Long story short.. got home.. realized the pieces were made in Seagrove.. she wasn't as amused as we were...

funny story.. back when I was younger, a teacher at my little school took a few of the kids to London for a trip. While there they saw some pottery and seeing as how we live near Seagrove which is the pottery capital of the US she thought it would be neat to buy some pottery from a shop in London and show it off when they got home. Long story short.. got home.. realized the pieces were made in Seagrove.. she wasn't as amused as we were...
My dad was on a sub in the Philippines in WW2. Going through the Panama Canal, he acquired a souvenir knife and later found out it was made in China!

Balance is one thing I've never mastered. Probably to late to hope for it now lol.

I think you have a pretty good handle on what works for you, so you have your own balance figured out. Doesnt matter what works for anyone else if it works for you.

People think it was bad here under Moonbeam, stand by when newsome and his super majority gets control of the helm. I used to think maybe there was a glimmer of hope for this place but there really isn't. It's going to take a complete collapse of this state to get things righted again and I'm not willing to try and withstand that storm. I'm a native to the soil here and it makes me heartsick seeing what is happening. This place is so rich in resources with weather to match. It has created the perfect storm from people who have come from all of the other states because they didn't "belong" or whatever ideology you happen to subscribe to but it's taken over for the norm. It won't be long before those that demand "Free stuff" because they exist start getting taxed on their "Free stuff" Once that happens God help us all and this nation.

Bullshit right back on ya, I could be any of those places in 2 hours from the Temecula valley. Easy.

Yes, taxes are too damn high. But it’s where our family is.

If Kate had moved to California instead of Colorado, Diane would be on Zillow. Looking in California. And you’d go if that’s what they (the girls) wanted.

Or else :rollingpin

Just like Ol’ Watashi

I can tell you this, that I am five miles of freeway driving to work and an additional three on city surface streets. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work. Coming home on the average is 40 minutes up to 1+ hours on the freeway alone north of the I-5/805 corridor (Then add in the fun of a traffic collision, summer vacationers, Del Mar Fair, Del Mar races or just normal traffic). I have never experienced traffic like this before in my life and the infrastructure is not set up for the population explosion. In truth because of the way the population centers are built won't be able to handle it. Years ago you could travel anywhere in San Diego you wanted with the exception of some minor annoyances around "NAS Miramar" during rush hour along the old I-15. Today it is a vastly different story no matter what freeway you choose to travel. It has turned into traffic jams 7 days a week and the wonderful population -Hell-A has. Truth is it's over population with no solution in sight due to the allowances of homes being built no matter we won't have enough water to support the population. This state could really be an amazing place to be but the reality is special interest groups and investors have taken control over it with no regard to what it's infrastructure can support. In the end it's going to crash and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

I can tell you this, that I am five miles of freeway driving to work and an additional three on city surface streets. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work. Coming home on the average is 40 minutes up to 1+ hours on the freeway alone north of the I-5/805 corridor (Then add in the fun of a traffic collision, summer vacationers, Del Mar Fair, Del Mar races or just normal traffic). I have never experienced traffic like this before in my life and the infrastructure is not set up for the population explosion. In truth because of the way the population centers are built won't be able to handle it. Years ago you could travel anywhere in San Diego you wanted with the exception of some minor annoyances around "NAS Miramar" during rush hour along the old I-15. Today it is a vastly different story no matter what freeway you choose to travel. It has turned into traffic jams 7 days a week and the wonderful population -Hell-A has. Truth is it's over population with no solution in sight due to the allowances of homes being built no matter we won't have enough water to support the population. This state could really be an amazing place to be but the reality is special interest groups and investors have taken control over it with no regard to what it's infrastructure can support. In the end it's going to crash and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

That’s why we liked the Temecula Valley. Close enough to go anywhere yet not in the thick of that mess you describe. No doubt that too will change in time but again, that’s where family is.

Here. Work your brains on the final puzzle I gave my employees today on my last day!

Spiderman is in this office building.

I’ve continued to investigate his whereabouts, and have written a final clue on my whiteboard.

There are MANY suspects for who has been hiding him all this time: Inger, Eric, Nathaniel, Richard, Harrison, Natalie, Michele, John, Karleen, Jesse, Kate Sarah, Brigitte, Michael, Aaron, Sam, and Terri.

WHERE IS SPIDERMAN!!!!!

56770825755__CF75C5B8-7739-4FB0-B75B-63E9DBAA1D61.JPG

Here. Work your brains on the final puzzle I gave my employees today on my last day!

Spiderman is in this office building.

I’ve continued to investigate his whereabouts, and have written a final clue on my whiteboard.

There are MANY suspects for who has been hiding him all this time: Inger, Eric, Nathaniel, Richard, Harrison, Natalie, Michele, John, Karleen, Jesse, Kate Sarah, Brigitte, Michael, Aaron, Sam, and Terri.

WHERE IS SPIDERMAN!!!!!

View attachment 42827
WTAF? Do you have a lot of Federal contracts?

Back
Top Bottom