The Star Wars Thread

meh... it'll be on TV in a couple months. :tango

6b9.jpg

Exactly - don't get me started. My new clicker box has the Netflix channel but it won't come in, and we already get the little Netflix silver records in the mail all the time, so I don't understand? And the Amazon is just as bad!

Plus, I click on 'channel 4' to watch the news, Jeopardy, and the Voice, and then the damn thing takes over and switches me to 'channel 804' and says I have to watch it in "HD". Why the hell do TV channels come equipped in Heavy Duty versions now? :tango

Exactly - don't get me started. My new clicker box has the Netflix channel but it won't come in, and we already get the little Netflix silver records in the mail all the time, so I don't understand? And the Amazon is just as bad!

Plus, I click on 'channel 4' to watch the news, Jeopardy, and the Voice, and then the damn thing takes over and switches me to 'channel 804' and says I have to watch it in "HD". Why the hell do TV channels come equipped in Heavy Duty versions now? :tango

good-guy-vhs-meme.jpg

Ok, had the chance to see Rogue One with my daughter tonight. Here's my review: save your money and rent it when it comes out.

Ok, had the chance to see Rogue One with my daughter tonight. Here's my review: save your money and rent it when it comes out.

Wow, my cousin who is a pretty big Star Wars fan, declared it better than all the rest. I'll just say I disagree with your assessment. I liked it.

I thought it was well done. The first half was space opera done right and the second half felt more like a war movie from the 50s. Good stuff!

Possible spoiler alerts for Rogue One, read at your own risk. I tried to remain vague when referencing the film.

Wow, my cousin who is a pretty big Star Wars fan, declared it better than all the rest. I'll just say I disagree with your assessment. I liked it.

I have friends claiming that it's the best Star Wars movie ever made as well. I just can't get on board with that. It's not a bad movie, but it's not a great movie either. Little to no meaningful character development, but I suppose we're in a short term relationship with them anyway. The way it skipped from scene to scene to scene in the beginning to establish some sort of backstory and relationship for everyone was choppy and disjointed. Reminded me of some W.E.B. Griffin books where he spends 30 pages describing a character only to kill them off and make them a footnote in some other character's backstory that has little effect on the remainder of the narrative. The fan service that was played to diehard fans was cool in certain scenes, but the poor CGI for classic characters pulled me right out of the moment. Grand Moff Tarkin looked like he belonged in GTA V not on the big screen and I spent most of the time he was on screen cringing at how fake he looked. I also desperately missed a John Williams score. There were some epic moments in the film that felt flat without his music. I actually noticed this within the first 10 minutes of the film, the music simply wasn't as good as any of the other films.

The last two points of contention I have with the film will brand me as a giant nerd and that's ok. Kyber Crystals in the Star Wars expanded universe are seen as almost sentient beings (yep, living rocks) whose relationship with the Force was so strong and mysterious that even the most seasoned Jedi barely understood it. They were also extremely rare. For the movie to say that they were the "fuel" for the Death Star was a huge inaccuracy. At best they could have been used to focus and direct the energy from the reactor that was used to generate the super laser. The problem then becomes the color of the laser. Kyber Crystals were clear until harvested by a Jedi or Sith for use in constructing a lightsaber. Jedi harvested crystals would typically turn blue or green during this process unless your name is Samuel L. Jackson. Due to their corrupted intent the Sith would have to dominate and warp the Kyber crystals causing them to turn red typically. Why would the super laser be green then? Obviously it was green because it's always been green...even before the expanded universe was created, but that's not the point. Leave the crystals out, problem solved. Then there's the list of projects that Jyn runs through in the Imperial data banks late in the film. I realize that Disney killed off the expanded universe but no mention of the Sun Crusher? Come on! Give me this one thing! Kyp Durron and the Sun Crusher are two of my absolute favorite elements from the expanded universe. Make this happen Disney!

What did I like? Vader. Nice to see a short scene where he acts like the monster he supposedly is. Other than Anakin slaughtering young Jedi this really hadn't been captured on film prior. I also liked the dedication to the complete lack of Jedi. My daughter didn't get it at first, but when I explained that at this point in the story line the Jedi had been hunted to extinction she understood. The humor was good. It seemed like everyone was allowed to pick three Han Solo one liners from a basket prior to filming and then executed them flawlessly. The only one liner I rolled my eyes at was Vader's. Seriously, don't choke? *sigh*

I actually had one of these when I was a kid. Played with it like the rest of my SW toys. Who woulda known, if I had only kept it in the box and waited 40 years!
IMG_1189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As usual, I'll be the judge of my own movie watching experience. I'm happy to hear from multiple sources stating it's more of a war movie, as it desperately needed more battle scenes, and that Darth Vader has a more prominent sinister role. But unfortunate to hear the lack of character development. Can't wait to watch my asian brothers in action though. It's a movie, enjoy it as best you can for what it is.

Yep, it's a fantasy movie and when I go I don't put to much introspection or delve to deep in the "reality or continuity" in such fare. I just let go and let my imagination soar along for the ride.

A friend of mine bought out a showing for local first responders and families, he also arranged for members of the 501st to be on hand. That certainly makes the showing more fun!

F8Industries-WebSized-01.jpg

Saw it. Really enjoyed it. Quite a few references to Ep. 4. Fun to spot them.

Back
Top Bottom