The Random Thoughts Thread

It isn't just us. A newbie on a "full timers" forum asked what kind of propane portable generator was recommended. In less than one page he was being lectured on the finer points of lead acid/lithium batteries. He had battery/charging options equal to the value of his trailer in less than two pages and almost no propane generator recommendations.

It isn't just us. A newbie on a "full timers" forum asked what kind of propane portable generator was recommended. In less than one page he was being lectured on the finer points of lead acid/lithium batteries. He had battery/charging options equal to the value of his trailer in less than two pages and almost no propane generator recommendations.

EABAF3E4-D48C-4B19-A046-C58C1A69B1D9.jpeg

Thread creep is inevitable.

We are losing the first generation Astronauts rather frequently these days.

Like Bob, as read their obituaries, I learn so much about them. It's a shame that we, as a country, don't study and celebrate what these men and women have done and currently do.

It is really sad what "information" gets all the publicity... :(

Like Bob, as read their obituaries, I learn so much about them. It's a shame that we, as a country, don't study and celebrate what these men and women have done and currently do.

We should launch the Kardashians and most of the social media "stars" in to space to raise awareness.

Sad that we don't really know about some great Americans until they are gone. I confess that I didn't know much about John Young until I read his obituary. A true American hero in my opinion. He was a veteran of the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-john-young-obit-20180106-story.html

Hmm... you know what's really sad? That when I saw Bob's post, and Scott's, is that you didn't know. That's not condemnation, it's a realization that as more "mature" members of the forum, I still have the edge on you both from a "chronological perspective". It's realization that "fandom" of the US Space Program is perhaps more of a generational thing.

I grew up in that time and was fascinated by the space program - read everything I could, built the models, even had an opportunity to visit the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX in the late 1960's. I could recite astronauts and their stats like many of my friends could recant baseball teams and statistics of their players.

Sitting in the Atlanta airport being forced to listen to my neighbor's side of a very heated phone call. In three minutes she's said the word "like" no less than 50 times. She's said it two or three times in a row in some sentences.

Do people not listen to themselves when they speak? Like, I don't get it....oh crap.

Sitting in the Atlanta airport being forced to listen to my neighbor's side of a very heated phone call. In three minutes she's said the word "like" no less than 50 times. She's said it two or three times in a row in some sentences.

Do people not listen to themselves when they speak? Like, I don't get it....oh crap.
Wait for the application of the single word sentence,"Whatever". In keeping with our current theme, that reply gives me cause to go "ballistic".

Hmm... you know what's really sad? That when I saw Bob's post, and Scott's, is that you didn't know. That's not condemnation, it's a realization that as more "mature" members of the forum, I still have the edge on you both from a "chronological perspective". It's realization that "fandom" of the US Space Program is perhaps more of a generational thing.

I grew up in that time and was fascinated by the space program - read everything I could, built the models, even had an opportunity to visit the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX in the late 1960's. I could recite astronauts and their stats like many of my friends could recant baseball teams and statistics of their players.

I grew up in that time, and was fascinated by the space program, too. However, as its popularity declined, we moved to Cali, and I hit high school. Unfortunately, most thoughts of the space program passed...

I loosely followed the shuttle program, and saw Discovery land once at Edwards' AFB. (I've also seen 2 launch from KSC.)

Really, what I meant was following the continuing accomplishments made by the astronauts in the programs following Apollo. I am somewhat familiar with the missions, just not the names of the people performing the missions.

Not an excuse - just a sad explanation of reality....

I grew up in that time, and was fascinated by the space program, too. However, as its popularity declined, we moved to Cali, and I hit high school. Unfortunately, most thoughts of the space program passed...

I loosely followed the shuttle program, and saw Discovery land once at Edwards' AFB. (I've also seen 2 launch from KSC.)

Really, what I meant was following the continuing accomplishments made by the astronauts in the programs following Apollo. I am somewhat familiar with the missions, just not the names of the people performing the missions.

Not an excuse - just a sad explanation of reality....
So what I hear you saying is that you too are a recovering space-geek. The first step to recovery is admitting it...

...and that you're very old. ;)

Ha - not as old as you!!!!!!! :p

And I'm not recovering anymore. I'm immersed full-time!!!!!

BTW, the first launch SLS is scheduled for the summer of 2020. I intend to watch it in person.

I wasn't really a space nut when I was a kid, but was fairly interested in it. I can remember watching the moon landing in our living room on a black and white TV. I even did a grade school project on one of the later moon landings. I got to see the shuttle land on the back of the 747 at Vandenberg AFB during the trials phase of the shuttle program. Vandenberg AFB was going to be the west coast launch facility for the shuttle. Lot's of $$$ went into what was called SLC-6 (Shuttle Launch Complex-6) at Vandenberg, then it was cancelled. I was stationed in Orlando when the first shuttle was launched, a couple of buddies and I went to watch that.

I still couldn't have told you who John Young was and what he accomplished until I read his obituary.

<gulp>... I remember watching a worried Walter Cronkhite reporting that Mission Control had lost and not regained radio contact with "Friendship 7" and Astronaut John Glenn... <sigh>

Cronkitejfkdeath.gif

Probably not quite as tense as what it was like when Icarus took off on his ill-fated flight, but that's a story for @woodienut to tell. :D

Yes, I remember it sonny! :tango
Dear Walter Cronkite , maybe the LAST broadcaster you could actually believe (we just this new deal called a "TV")? I was trying to warm up after delivering 100+ newspapers in Mpls. Wednesdays (lot's of weekend ads on Weds.) The next day was a big paper even for a Thursday. Ask your grandfather/father what a "Newspaper" is.
:mike

Back
Top Bottom