That is one beautiful truck, Dave! Great to see such a detailed plan coming to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the Airlift 1000's were not enough. Big upgrades this week via Icon Vehicle Dynamics and CJC Offroad with some Air Lift 5000's and a few other choice Icon parts has it right as rain.

To get to this decision, I met with Icon and discussed this at length with Mario and we've decided to go with the Air Lift 5000 bags and Daystar cradles as Mario has done on other Rams. 2 inch coil spacers and new sway bar links will be from Icon, and I'm already using their way overbuilt adjustable rear track bar. So we're basically mimicking the setup Mario used on the other Ram 2500 but using Icon parts instead of AEV.

Out with the old and in with the new: adding Icon 2 inch coil spacers and Air Lift 5000's with Daystar cradles.

IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6564.JPG

Icon 2 inch coil spacer is in place and ready to go. This is no Mickey Mouse solution - solid steel spacer and OEM 2500 coil springs will work well with the air bags as my new bumpstops.

IMG_6577.JPG

On 14 and up Ram 2500's, Daystar airbag cradles need to be modified to seat properly and to avoid wearing out the bag prematurely with bolt rub.

IMG_6578.JPG

On the bottom, recessed hardware is used so it can sit flat where the OEM bumpstop used to strike.

IMG_6579.JPG

^This...we need more pics of the Bennett Clan out enjoying this thing.

I've had a few folks ask about cost for this setup. :coffee

Here's some numbers:

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Big Horn Package, $58,500
2016 FWC Hawk Flatbed, fully optioned, $36,500
AT Overland custom aluminum flatbed tray w/Fiberthane storage boxes, $8,000

Truck and camper with tray= $103,000

Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 4 suspension (2.5 inch lift), airbags, coil spacers etc, $4,300
Icon Alloys Shield wheels, $1,200
Toyo RT 37's with TPMS, mount/balance/warranty etc from America's Tire, $2,300
Rigid lighting, $3,000
White Knuckle Offroad Products Rock Sliders (HD), $1200
Buckstop "Boss" bumper, $2,500
sPod 4x4 "SE" touchscreen, $750
Warn 16.5 ti winch, synthetic line, accessories, $2,865
AEV snorkel (for safety), $420

Misc Mods = $18,535

Grand total of major items comprising this build to date:

$121,535.00

HOLY...!
Early on in this thread I made a joke about selling a kidney, not that funny now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, please correct me if you feel differently, but the key that opens the door to the vault for builds and travel is to get the family involved.

If Momma likes camping, then you get to go camping, and if Momma is going camping, then you get money in the budget for things that make camping better and easier. :princess
Alternatively, if Momma hates your guts and wants you out of the house, that may help too, but not so much for stuff that makes it more comfortable or easier to get unstuck.:rollingpin

Happy overlanding wife = Happy overlanding life

That's a reasonable build budget if you ask me. Can pay for that with one house flip. Cake.

I'm really impressed at how affordable the tray was. That has peaked my interest now. I had been thinking about one as a way to carry a side by side and the Airstream without giving up the PW and getting a dually. Do you know how much the aluminum flatbed tray added to the vehicles overall weight. I did note the before and after weighings, but didn't see an inbetween unless I missed it.

Did some testing on the road up to Big Bear and on dark forest roads in Holcomb Valley last night. Handles good (need an onboard air compressor soon so I can air down for a better ride) and feels safe.

Tried out all the lights too, good times :D

IMG_6721.JPG

Back
Top Bottom