I got the Buckstop Bumpers brush guard/deer slayer/zombie plow all mounted up. While I was at it I put on the Factor 55 hawse and mounted up the front 4 Rigid rock lights. I'll add the rearmost 4 rock lights once I lengthen the wires.

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Today I also knocked out another couple random mods that I'd had on the back burner for quite some time. Sometimes it's the small things that you dial in that really make things nice ;)

First was ensuring my air hoses were squared away, there's one of these inside the rear door on both sides of the truck connected to the big ARB dual compressor. These are secured so they can't get pinched in the door but are still super easy to use.

IMG_0378.JPG

This mod was a long time in the "thinking" stage. What you see is the Gear Line from Nite-Ize, this has been repurposed and allows me to securely hang things like coats and gloves and such in the cab for easy access or drying etc. It may not be a big dollar mod but let me tell you what, it really makes things nice on a long trip.

IMG_0379.JPG

This is a seriously clean and smart build. I hope you realize how much fun this is for the folks you've brought along. Thanks

So what did it take to add the brush guard to the bumper? Lots of careful measuring and marking and drilling - 4 large 3/4 inch holes to be exact. I completely burned up a brand new Milwaukee titanium drill bit on this job.

IMG_0359.JPG

Finding the center of the vehicle and the bumper. No room for any deviation here, once you start drilling you're committed.

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Test fit of the brush guard to ensure the pilot holes will all be precisely aligned. I used lots of 3M masking tape to ensure I could mark at will as well as preventing scratches during fitment.

IMG_0362.JPG

One of the things I like about Buckstop is that they allow for wiggle room in their designs. I've installed several aftermarket winch bumpers (ARB, AllPro, Pelfrey, Shrockworks), some purchased and some sponsored, and the Buckstop bumper is by far the easiest to mount. Adding the hoop was easy because the 3/4 inch holes allow for just enough wiggle room to align fore/aft/left/right before tightening it down. It also means if your drill bit drifts a hair on that pilot hole there's no cause for alarm as it will all line up!

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

Looks good Dave.

One question, I thought you were a believer in the roller hawse for your winch line rather than the plain hawse due to friction/heat.

Looks good Dave.

One question, I thought you were a believer in the roller hawse for your winch line rather than the plain hawse due to friction/heat.

Good eye. Bottom line is that the roller fairlead stuck out too far and precluded the use of my bike rack in that receiver hitch.

Compromises :coffee

Dave you have me back to wanting a Diesel Ram. I had started plans to do a 2500 Diesel with an AT Habitat but got worried about ULSD vs LSD when outside of the USA and Canada. Do you ever plan on taking your truck into Mexico?

Also thanks for being super detailed about everything. The write ups for the fuel filters are very informative.

Dave you have me back to wanting a Diesel Ram. I had started plans to do a 2500 Diesel with an AT Habitat but got worried about ULSD vs LSD when outside of the USA and Canada. Do you ever plan on taking your truck into Mexico?

Also thanks for being super detailed about everything. The write ups for the fuel filters are very informative.

I do plan on taking it into Mexico, but my goal is not very far south of the border. My range on 41 gallons+ is over 500 miles so I don't plan on fueling down there in Baja.

I do plan on taking it into Mexico, but my goal is not very far south of the border. My range on 41 gallons+ is over 500 miles so I don't plan on fueling down there in Baja.

That's what I was thinking. Plus with the option of getting bigger tanks and the optional spare tire fuel tanks I could get the range up to over 1,000 miles without refueling. I'll be following this thread to keep grabbing ideas for when I finally buy my 2500.

To my knowledge, Baja Norte has ULSD, Baja Sur is where you can run into issues. I've also heard through the grapevine, but can't verify, that by 2018 all of Baja will have ULSD. I don't concern myself with mainland Mexico, no idea what their fuel situation is.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Baja Norte has ULSD, Baja Sur is where you can run into issues. I've also heard through the grapevine, but can't verify that by 2018 all of Baja will have ULSD. I don't concern myself with mainland Mexico, no idea what their fuel situation is.

A lot of my research says Baja is not an issue. If you know what to look for you can find ULSD (I found the Spanish for it but forgot as I'm horrible with foreign languages). As for the rest of the country it sounds like only Mexico City has ULSD while the rest of the country is still running LSD with sparse ULSD if you are lucky to find it.

Oil change time! Oil change with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 full synthetic. Air filter changed and all ready to drive from the Midwest to Appalachian Rendezvous!

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

Yeah, and they were freaked out by the Fluid Film that I had just treated the undercarriage with. It took a minute to explain to them what it was and why I used it.

Fluid Film is available in spray cans at about $10 per can and is cheap insurance against rust. My goal is to leave the Midwest as free from corrosion as possible.

Back
Top Bottom