Trailhead Tire Deflators

What are the keychain type ?

This kind:
F110563005.jpg

Basically just some turned pieces that thread onto the valve stem. They have a fixed pin that depresses the valve to let out air. You can connect a gauge to the "male" end, and make a small adjustment to the bleed rate by varying how far down you screw them onto the valve. They have no moving parts, but can't be adjusted, so if you leave them on too long they'll literally let ALL the air out.

I call them "keychain" type because they screw together and always seem to come with a fifth piece with a keyring attached.

They look similar to cheapo ones I used to use from Pep Boys. Simple deflator if screwed on one way and a tool to remove the valve itself on the other side. Simple, but as already said, you have to pay attention to each one because they are simply a deflator - no stopping them until you remove them! Now if you want to mess with someone you don't like :mad: , the other side that actually removes the valve from the stem is a great nasty trick. No way to reinflate the tire with the valve itself missing! ;)

They look similar to cheapo ones I used to use from Pep Boys. Simple deflator if screwed on one way and a tool to remove the valve itself on the other side. Simple, but as already said, you have to pay attention to each one because they are simply a deflator - no stopping them until you remove them! Now if you want to mess with someone you don't like :mad: , the other side that actually removes the valve from the stem is a great nasty trick. No way to reinflate the tire with the valve itself missing! ;)

Which begs the question how many of you out there carry extra valve stems and tool to remove them? I've seen my fair share of those that air down and forget to put caps back on and a grain of sand mucks everything up. I find it patently absurd that we go around in vehicles worth untold amounts all supported by 4 valves that cost a buck apiece. But then again I am easily amused

Ummm...actually I do. Couple of stems and the tool to pull the old one, both donated to my tool bag thanks to a local tire shop. :D

I agree 100% that these simple little things probably are not in most tool bags or list of items to have offroad! I'll bet most of us have a tire repair kit tho.

If I wasn't saving my bucks to bet on the presidential race I'd take that bet. I'd venture way less than half have one let alone know where they stuck it and how to use it.

I carry 6 or so and a couple of valve stems and the cable tool to pull them thru the rim. Seems like I carry all this stuff but end up being a rolling parts store for others but when in a group you travel at the speed or lack thereof of the slowest rig. So it's all good and as Bobby says nobody gets left
behind

If I wasn't saving my bucks to bet on the presidential race I'd take that bet. I'd venture way less than half have one let alone know where they stuck it and how to use it.
I partially fall into that bucket unfortunately. I know right where my tire repair kit is, but have never used it, so would absolutely have to read the darn instructions again first and then hope for the best.

Same goes for the first aid kit, I make myself open it up and find what's where twice a year. That being said I carry another small bag with pressure bandages and tourniquet for immediate use.

Sorry for bumping...just my two cents...

I'd probably go for a Staun 6-30psi if I was going for that type of deflator...since I often run 8-10psi, the 15-55 wouldn't go low enough. However, the problem I have with that type of deflator is that it's got one preset pressure, and isn't that easy to reset...so unless you always air down the same amount, it'd be a bit of a pain to keep having to reset it. One option would be to set two of them to a higher pressure and two to a lower pressure, and use them in pairs depending on what pressure you want.

Another option is the Currie EZ-deflator https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ it removes the valve, but keeps it captive so you can't lose it. Plus, it allows you to easily check the pressure as you're airing down...and once you get the pressure you want you just thread the valve back in. It'll air the tires down a lot faster than a Staun (since you're taking the valve out), but you have to go around and air the tires down one at a time.

A good comparison is at:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm
Which covers most of the common deflators. The Oasis Trailhead deflator looks like another option, but IMHO it appears sort of cheaply built...and I'm skeptical of the claims that you can air the tires down while you're driving. With my luck they'd either keep airing down until my tire was flat or I'd catch them on a rock and rip my valvestem off
There are many interesting videos on YouTube on this topic.

Used my ARB deflator for the first time at ARV last weekend. Why did I wait so long to get this thing?!! Oh yeah, I'm cheap, and it took winning it in a raffle. Previously I would just press the valve with the back of the tire gauge. With 33's, I counted to 120 Mississippi's. A lot of wasted time.

Tip, it also helps to have an inflator for afterwards. ;)

I've been looking at J.T. Brooks automatic tire deflators. The Pro version is easily adjustable from 3-32 PSI and made in USA :independence
Most "automatic tire deflators" aren't in that you must go through an "easy" (read elaborate) procedure of dialing in the desired pressure with a number of clicks, validating the desired pressure, then validate the control tire air pressure, then do it for the other deflators. After all that, you have to pretty well be in love with that pressure because what you set is not easily adjusted on the trail without repeating the previously described procedure.

This "PRO" version seems to have solved that problem, allowing you to adjust the air pressure in your tires for the trail conditions you may be encountering that day. This is far more convenient than the earlier versions without the "on-the-fly" adjustment the "PRO" model offers. :thumbsup

Good luck with them and give us a report back.

Back
Top Bottom