Trailhead Tire Deflators

buckwilk

Adventurist
Shop here in Yuma carries these in stock and swears by them. Online reviews are good, anyone used them?

I just cruised Amazon looking at Tire Deflators - holy crap there is an abundance of Staun knock offs by various companies...

Buyer beware!

Staun.

I bought a set in 2006. Bullet proof, all brass and adjustable. There are newer things but Staun's have always worked for me.
I'd like to check those out at DRV if either of us remember. :)

I have yet to find a set that I actually like...

I love the Trailhead ones. They take a little while to set (grad your spare, some air, and a 6-pack of beer) but I find they hold their setting much better than some of the other ones. I don't know if Staun has changed their design, but when I used a set I found the external adjustment ring annoying and it would sometimes loosen thus changing the air pressure. I went with the Trailhead ones because they are internally adjusted and less prone to getting maladjusted from use. That said, I do find they 'stick' from time to time, but nothing a quick flick of a finger or a tap with a rock won't free up and get their air flowing.

One thing I do like about the Trailheads are the different colors. The one group I ran with in the past had three or four sets spread around the members set to different pressures. Probably not as useful in the overlanding scene, but for the rock crawlers it was nice to have different ones preset to different pressures.

I'd love to find a set of these...but $$$

2499_1__TN1000x800.jpg

I bought Trailheads in about 2006-7. I set them when I got them. Haven't done a thing to them since. They just work. As mentioned above, occasionally have to give them a thump to get them started. For some reason I no longer have a complete set...dropped out of a pocket or in the corner of a box somewhere I guess.

I'd love to find a set of these...but $$$

View attachment 20314
Yes, $$$ (99.95) and only one. But since they are UK made they'd complement your LR nicely, old pip.

Another model similar to the Trailheads, but easier to adjust and I think a little more accurate than the XX number of clicks with supplied Allen key of the Trailheads: J.T. Brooks Automatic Tire Deflators

Simplicity and convenience of Trailhead Automatic Deflators but with easier to set and more precise air pressure settings. Similarly priced to Trailheads.

aaddf678ed73afc807c9b224dcdacf17.jpg
7272a0aec1058f30e641cc0065714fa1.jpg
299cf41b3829ad5242eb781b595ceff1.jpg

Trailheads are great, I took a training course with Tom Severin of badlands 4x4 training in LA and he let us use them on the training trip. They're super easy to use once dialed in and like mentioned before they keep their setting. I bought them immediately after the trip when I found a deal on eBay. Won't be sorry using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used and tested a couple Stauns knockoffs and none come close to measuring up.

I travel a lot solo and Stauns size give you the ability of screwing them on once you hit the dirt. After ~5 minutes of travel stop, remove, and ready to go. A dab of superglue on the locking ring goes a long way keeping them adjusted.

Personally I wouldn't drive with them. I have found that by the time I get the last one on the first one is ready to be removed, in effect a double walk around and I'm good to go.

I guess I'm the only one who uses the cheap-o keychain mounted ones.
15104.50.jpg

I like that I can use my regular pressure gauge on 'em. I find that you can dial-in the pressure on the stem enough so they all run at the same rate. I start at one corner, work my way around the van screwing 'em on. Then I check the first tire until it's where I want it, then just walk around and screw them back off. (Checking pressure on each, obviously, but they're always close, since the tires started at the same pressure.)

I also appreciate that these have no moving parts, so I feel like they're fairly failure-proof.

15104.50.jpg

I like that I can use my regular pressure gauge on 'em. I find that you can dial-in the pressure on the stem enough so they all run at the same rate. I start at one corner, work my way around the van screwing 'em on. Then I check the first tire until it's where I want it, then just walk around and screw them back off. (Checking pressure on each, obviously, but they're always close, since the tires started at the same pressure.)

I also appreciate that these have no moving parts, so I feel like they're fairly failure-proof.

I keep mine in the door pocket with the auto ones. Handy when you don't want the usual preset pressure of the auto deflators. However, if you find yourself in the company of some folks who demand your full attention while they talk or call you over "for just a minute", it is possible to get distracted and find yourself with a fully deflated tire (or two).

15104.50.jpg

My second choice and used in my vehicles not frequently aired down for all the above reasons.

Back
Top Bottom