This site needs more bike photos!

Yesterday morning. Dirt therapy.

91DF9F6D-7BBF-425C-8680-C4589FDE635A.jpg

EA2E2056-2FE4-4CD3-9CB3-A3EFBF79DCBB.jpg

As a new member I was ecstatic to find this subforum and thread. I love getting out in the truck, but I also like to get the bike dirty as well.

Here's my current bike packed up for a long day of riding that promised some rain and to kick my butt.

35118928096_eba3b5369b_b.jpg

34349282283_0057cae8ae_b.jpg

These are from a ride in Catoosa WMA near Oak Ridge, TN. There's a great 20ish mile loop of gravel with some awesome down hill sections, and of course matching climbs.

That's a score! I recall the days, over 30 years ago, when it was common to see and join some of the bike legends on the trails and back roads of Northern California where I used to live and routinely put 3000 miles +/- on the cyclo-cross and MTB per year. I have the same Ringle stem on my titanium Miyata MTB among other pieces of expensive lightweight 'stuff'... hand-laid carbon fiber, machined titanium and aluminum bits, all done by hand in little shops from Marin County to Santa Clara. It was a good time in the industry then, before the little shops got bought up big conglomerate manufacturers.

Tim, you need the dust the old girl for a spin around the block... and a photo or two... of the bike of course! ;)

Nice images. Titanium... love the comfort of that metal... I say this with sorrow as my Ti ELS Mountain Bike sits comfortably in a Park Tool bike mechanic stand in the basement CIF, right across from the bike trainer and the Cro-mo Cyclo-cross bike suspended from the joists. :( So many rare, and now obscure parts, too since I'm OAF. :tango

Seriously, carbon fiber 4-spoke wheel-sets. Don't see those anymore...

Ha, Spinergy Rev-X? Yeah, those fell off quickly with help of the UCI. I remember lusting after a set that was a raffle price for the El Tour De Tucson in the mid 90's.

BTW:

:pics

I like classics... Let's see this Miyata!

Last edited:
Ha, Spinergy Rev-X? Yeah, those fell off quickly with help of the UCI. I remember lusting after a set that was a raffle price for the El Tour De Tucson in the mid 90's.

BTW:

This was the days before cameras... and you know photography/electronic devices are prohibited in the CIF. I wouldn't even let Dave down there. :cool:

BTW:

This was the days before cameras... and you know photography/electronic devices are prohibited in the CIF. I wouldn't even let Dave down there. :cool:

I remember! Spinergy's!

Old Litespeed frames are pretty rad and Ti for us old farts is like a miracle metal. I'm never giving up my Serotta Legend Ti.

No, a very rare Miyata Ti frame with a number of Expensive Lightweight Shit (ELS) components. Seriously, carbon fiber 4-spoke wheel-sets. Don't see those anymore... :)

Ha, Spinergy Rev-X? Yeah, those fell off quickly with help of the UCI.

I remember! Spinergy's!

Me too! I raced a set for a little while. Did. Not. Like. Them. They had this weird habit of settling into high speed corners that I could never get used to. Way too flexy. After that, I switched to some lightweight Rolfs. Those weren't any better. The rear hub split in two during a bunch sprint. That was super fun. After that, I stuck to Campy hubs, 32 spokes and Mavic Open 4s for many years. Just recently switched to Campy carbons and I'm quite happy with them.

Me too! I raced a set for a little while. Did. Not. Like. Them. They had this weird habit of settling into high speed corners that I could never get used to. Way too flexy. After that, I switched to some lightweight Rolfs. Those weren't any better. The rear hub split in two during a bunch sprint. That was super fun. After that, I stuck to Campy hubs, 32 spokes and Mavic Open 4s for many years. Just recently switched to Campy carbons and I'm quite happy with them.
I assumed you raced those Spinergy's on a road bike, Sean? This wheel-set I'm referencing is the 26-inch mountain bike version which was a much more heavy-duty variant of the road version... see below image

I found the malleability of the Ti frame, the stiff carbon fiber of the rims, and the front suspension, provided a comfortable but sure-footed ride when I lived in CA. It was a fast bike and I had powerful pistons (then). The pelotons on CA-35 Skyline Drive on the coastal ranges just south of San Francisco I would join, found it annoying when the mountain bike would merge with their pack and maintain their pace. :D

Alas, those were the days... <sigh>

(not my bikes)
mcmoho_012.jpg

I assumed you raced those Spinergy's on a road bike, Sean? This wheel-set I'm referencing is the 26-inch mountain bike version which was a much more heavy-duty variant of the road version... see below image

I found the malleability of the Ti frame, the stiff carbon fiber of the rims, and the front suspension, provided a comfortable but sure-footed ride when I lived in CA. It was a fast bike and I had powerful pistons (then). The pelotons on CA-35 Skyline Drive on the coastal ranges just south of San Francisco I would join, found it annoying when the mountain bike would merge with their pack and maintain their pace. :D

Alas, those were the days... <sigh>

(not my bikes)
mcmoho_012.jpg

was that mountain cycles yours?!? i haven't seen one of those in ages.

yes, i was racing the road bike. i did have a set for the dirt too but by the time i started racing XC, i was off of them. however, i am still riding 26 as there is no reason for me to upgrade either the trail bike or DH bike. very happy with the setups at the moment. besides, if my wife saw me building another bike along with the truck, things might end badly for me... :eek: :rollingpin :D

was that mountain cycles yours?!? i haven't seen one of those in ages.

yes, i was racing the road bike. i did have a set for the dirt too but by the time i started racing XC, i was off of them. however, i am still riding 26 as there is no reason for me to upgrade either the trail bike or DH bike. very happy with the setups at the moment. besides, if my wife saw me building another bike along with the truck, things might end badly for me... :eek: :rollingpin :D
No, not my bike... I need to get some pics but I lack the equipment, skill, and artistry you'all possess to provide an epic image of the subjects. If I deviate into the bikes again my spouse might have a stroke.

needed a distraction and wanted to try something. yay for self timers. plus, the snow sucks and i just watched a video clip of mtn biking in the mountains of northern japan. bike related since i have my full face on... :cool:

Slavin_180202_6820-2.jpg

low snow will probably have the bike park trails open a bit sooner this summer. looking forward to getting out.

Last week I headed up to Raleigh on a secret mission because I found a barely used version of one of these for the Joe.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hotrock-24/p/129634?color=239765-129634
It is his first experience with gears, with front suspension (limited as it is), and having no coaster brakes, just hand brakes. He took to it like a pro.. which means my fat ass is going to have to get working to be able to keep up with him!
Not sure if you guys remember way back when for us, but apparently 8 year old boys also have exactly zero fear (No Fear, Zero F*cks) either so if I die from a heart attack, it will be immediately preceded by hearing his "Yea Hah!" as he flies down the trails, going way too fast for my old rattled nerves...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom