The Star Wars Thread

You guys have to be true fans. I finally watched the movie the other day and, despite my hope, I was way underwhelmed by it. Some of the special effects were very well done, but the acting ranged from mediocre to downright bad, not Hayden bad (it's really hard to be that bad- even though Driver/Kylo gave it a go) but almost and that's sad because I really wanted to like it. Ford obviously phoned it in and didn't want to be there (yes I know he'd broken an ankle and crashed his plane and that he's in his seventies). The story line was lame, basically a rehash/reboot of IV with more modern special effects and diversity. They made lots of money though and will sell tons of toys. :rolleyes:

:lightsaber

I was thinking the same thing.... How about the trash compactor? :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Oh no... I'm thinking he needs to take a ride on the sand barge and go for a long walk on a short plank. Nom, nom, nom...

I guess my expectations were set too high- it was hard not to hope for some sort of redemption after Lucus' abominations heretofore after known simply as I, II, and III. That and they hyped up the fact that Lucas wasn’t directing it. I’ll fully admit to having been tainted by having seen the Star Wars, Empire and Jedi in the theaters when I was younger (I was in 4th grade when Star Wars came out and I managed to talk my parents into letting me go see it four times).

I’ve already mentioned that the storyline was a rehash/reboot of A New Hope, but I guess I should have expected that with Abrahms at the helm. While I liked what he did with the first Star Trek, I don’t think he did a good job with the second (other fans agree) or with The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens just tries too hard at making too many nods to the originals and it’s obvious, they come off as campy and forced, not spontaneous. Yes, I know the original was campy in many ways.

It just seemed to me to be too predictable from the start. None of the characters really had any depth to them, including the old timers, and that’s a shame because there was definitely enough material from the past and the books. Ignoring the plot holes, here are a couple of the things that bothered me, in no particular order. Besides Ford being the biggest disappointment (already mentioned), Fisher seemed to kind of drag through her lines, ike she was worried her dentures were going to fall out or something. I realize she’s nuts and was probably on meds but there didn’t seem to be any real chemistry between her and Ford. The “bring our son home” speech fell flat as did Solo’s speech to Kylo before he gets killed. And speaking of Kylo if you’re going to be a sawed off, evil little tyrant you need to at least appear to be a bad ass. He comes across as another whiny dork, inspired by young Anakin (pre-Vader), not Vader himself, with a 1930s art deco, Streamliner inspired helmet. Who cast him anyways? Did they even look at Fisher and Ford and think that maybe he should kinda sorta look like at least one of them? The fact that he’s on HBO’s Girls is reason enough to have cast someone else but that’s beside the point. While the Darth Maul in the fan made film is what a Sith, Knights of Ren or other practitioner of the dark side of the force should be, or maybe aspires to- cold, cunning and ruthless, they just can’t suppress the super-ego as it overrides their id. Can’t we just have a villain who’s not conflicted about himself? Maybe that’s why Darth Maul is popular.

Poe starts out ok and quickly goes downhill from there into campiness. And who in their right mind would take some unknown dude (Finn) at face value and lead him to the rebels just because he says he is a rebel? “Sure, I’m a good guy, so take me to your secret base and introduce me to your leaders. Oh by the way I’m actually a Storm Trooper who had a change of heart.” “Oh that’s OK you big silly, we’ll still take you in with no vetting.” Oops, there I go delving into plot holes. But while we’re there, why was there such emphasis placed on Chewie’s weapon? Who cares, it’s a bowcaster, the wookies like them and you’re going to tell me that for all the years Han and Chewie were roaming the galaxy Han never picked it up and fired it? Sure, lightsabers have something to do with the story as each Jedi builds his own and some are handed down, but no other hand held weapon have any real bearing on the story- yes, I know Han’s blaster is technically illegal, and Bobba’s weapons and armor have some significance (although Bobba himself was simply an extra doing a job before he became a fan favorite and was fleshed out more), etc. Speaking of Chewie, when did the formerly fearless walking carpet who would wade into any fray suddenly become a whiner when he gets shot in the arm- he’s a Wookie, not a C3 unit. Would he really have not made sure Kylo was dead after Han was killed? Daniels reprised his role well as did R2D2. What’s with Smeagol, er, I mean Snoke? “I am the great Wizard of Oz”. Add the shiny female storm trooper to the Huh, where did that come from? list as well.

James Bond (Daniel Craig) being subjected to the Jedi Mind Trick is pretty funny.

The Joker, er Mark Hamill, actually looks like a weatherworn, beat down man in the film. He actually looks like he belongs in his role.

The aerial combat CGI scenes were well done as were the landscapes, sense of scale, etc.

The very best thing about the new movie though is that Lucas wasn’t director, followed by no Jar Jar or Hayden Christian (even if Driver seems to be attempting to channel him instead of Vader).

TL:DR version. I don’t miss my two hours that I spent watching the movie, but it could have been so much more. Yeah I know, everyone’s a critic, but you did ask. :vader

image.jpeg

Ford obviously phoned it in and didn't want to be there (yes I know he'd broken an ankle and crashed his plane and that he's in his seventies).

Ford has said in numerous interviews that he hated the character of Han Solo and wanted the character dead. I prefer to think of Han Solo as a real person because of this...one that would kick Harrison Ford straight out of the ass end of Air Force One.

If you're wondering, Indy is also separate from Ford in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom