The Random Thoughts Thread

Has the definition of "sustainable" changed, or is it just the new catch word? Damn near every headline seems to have some form of that word in the headline? Just saw this headline...
Europe Bicycle Parking Racks Market Driven by Consumer Focus on Sustainability and Carbon Consciousness
They're linking the use of bicycles to less use of gasoline and thus sustainability. Of course, the energy to produce parts, rubber and grease for a bicycle comes from what?

They're linking the use of bicycles to less use of gasoline and thus sustainability. Of course, the energy to produce parts, rubber and grease for a bicycle comes from what?
oh and the energy source which fuels those humans riding bicycles comes from what? Food. Which is delivered with what? Trucks. Which require what? Gasoline.

Watching Thursday night Football, there was an Air Force commercial that had a vehicle in it that looked like a built King of the Hammers style car...something caught my eye and I had to pause the commercial to look at the vehicle...the vehicle had a solid front axle, hydraulic steering...and lights mounted on the outer tie rod ends where the heims or TRE's were mounted to the knuckle.

Depending on the vehicle, I thought that was a pretty unique spot to mount a small light...about as low as you can get and still have it reasonably well protected as you can get...at least on that vehicle. I'd have to go out and stare at the front end of my truck or Jeep for a few minutes to see if it's reasonable location on a more main stream rig.

I tried searching for the vehicle for a minute and couldn't find a picture of it.

It was similar to this, but had a solid front axle.

flyer_thumb.jpg

Edit: Found it...

maxresdefault.jpg

In the commercial the light was on, so it was shiny (ooohhh, shiny:rolleyes:) and caught my eye. Easy to miss in the picture above when it's not turned on.

Another pic, that thing is BIG! Probably old news for folks that follow this stuff, I've never seen one before.

bilde.jpg

Last edited:
I make it a point to read a couple of photo sites every day. Today on Fstoppers there was a post - mostly for street photographers - asking: "If you took a picture of someone on the street, and they objected and asked you to delete it, would you?"

In the comments section, there was a comment by someone named Brigham Brown that - IF TRUE - floored me.

"Photographed a border patrol officer at the US/Canada crossing station. He told me if I did not delete it I would be "detained" and arrested after my vehicle was searched and towed off. I would be in Minnesota in a Federal holding facility for at least a week due to "lost paperwork" while my vehicle would be in another State being taken apart for possible hidden compartments holding illegal drugs. Photo gear would be "God knows where" and taken apart. So, I deleted the images and showed him.

Then left, took out the CF card and went home and recovered the photos. Made postcards of it and mailed them to a half dozen border crossing station with "this guy is a jackass" on the back.

You can always delete and then recover the image."

Personally, I wouldn't have made postcards, I would have mailed them to Inspector General of his department, along with a full report of the conversation, and a copy to my - otherwise useless - congresscritter.

(Assuming there weren't signs posted saying NO PHOTOGRAPHY at the border crossing point.)

That’s actually not a bad price for that set up if you don’t need off road capability. I looked at a Winnebago Revel the other day that’s based on the sprinter. It’s 4wd and loaded, but $169000

^^^^The 4WD Sprinter based RV's are ridiculous in price. My guess is they are targeting the ski slope crowd more than they are the adventure travel crowd (or at least the poor bastiches I hang out with).

Andddddd after finding out the rough dollar amount of disability back pay from the VA (I've been waiting over 2 years), I just found out it will take ANOTHER year for me to receive the f'ing money.

I am SO f'ing tired of this shit.

Andddddd after finding out the rough dollar amount of disability back pay from the VA (I've been waiting over 2 years), I just found out it will take ANOTHER year for me to receive the f'ing money.

I am SO f'ing tired of this shit.
:eek: WTF???

Back
Top Bottom