The Random Thoughts Thread

My bladder has a 200 mile range, give or take. My truck has a 45 gallon fuel tank, so I'm usually just above a half tank when I stop for fuel and facilities.

When I'm in Baja I live by the fill it up at the 1/2 tank mark regardless of other conditions.

I'm a 1/2 tank filler myself, because you just never know. After watching coverage of all the disasters lately, and seeing all those in gas lines trying to get out, I think it's prudent to keep a full tank, plus a couple of full jerrys with stabilized gas ready to go. Even if we're not bugging out, it provides plenty of fuel for the generator after a tornado or ice storm.

I'm a 1/2 tank filler myself, because you just never know. After watching coverage of all the disasters lately, and seeing all those in gas lines trying to get out, I think it's prudent to keep a full tank, plus a couple of full jerrys with stabilized gas ready to go. Even if we're not bugging out, it provides plenty of fuel for the generator after a tornado or ice storm.

Exactly.

Normal stabilizer is red, and the boat stabilizer is blue.

I am not sure what the difference is, but have heard that the blue is better than the red. I only have experience with the red - used for lawn mower gas.

I need to do some research on the blue stuff...

How about that, I'm an all around Type B personality.

Too bad cars don't have the reserve like on motorcycles. I always knew I was risking trash getting into the carb, but I've been able to coast into a gas station more than once thanks to that little reserve switch.

This actually looks like it might be quite good...

I'm a little bummed they didn't film right here given Prescott's Hollywood history, but still, whoever picked the locations in New Mexico did a damn fine job. I know none of the ridges in the trailer are here, but at a glance you wouldn't know the difference.

I need some schooling on that idea please. What does that mean? Have you added something to the can? What is it and how long does it last?

I just buy Stabil brand. and follow the directions. It will easily keep for a year. Use pure gasoline with no ethanol. Ethanonl blends won't keep as well. I've experimented with stabilized premium that I've stored for 18 months and used in an old lawn mower. It worked just fine, and had no water or sediment in the fuel bowl. Keep it in a sealed jerry can with the minimum amount of airspace for expansion. The less oxygen in the container the better.

Back
Top Bottom