The Random Thoughts Thread

At one point I was going to start doing some stuff on YouTube. We have a channel set up. It seemed like the thing to do.

But I gotta say, most (90%+) of the stuff I’m seeing from overland hucksters on YT is “cringy” as my daughter would say. I’m glad I didn’t become another one of those “personalities”. I think they’ll look back on some of these vids and cringe.

Now, @Haggis will be along any moment with a soap box to wax poetic about what a big time influencer I am and blah blah yadda yadda…

I eschew all such such nonsense. I’m still doing me same as 10 years ago. Just not dragging around as much crap.

;)
I bought a Mavic Pro drone and some Go Pros years ago with the thought I'd create my own style of content for blog posts and you tube. I found that I rarely ever use them, and that creating content for the sake of increasing popularity and potential side income becomes work, a drudgery, and not enjoyable for me in the least.

Takes far too much time from enjoying why I adventure in the first place, and far too much energy that I'd much rather expend on learning more about the people, plants, animals, and history of wherever I am.

I bought a Mavic Pro drone and some Go Pros years ago with the thought I'd create my own style of content for blog posts and you tube. I found that I rarely ever use them, and that creating content for the sake of increasing popularity and potential side income becomes work, a drudgery, and not enjoyable for me in the least.

Takes far too much time from enjoying why I adventure in the first place, and far too much energy that I'd much rather expend on learning more about the people, plants, animals, and history of wherever I am.

Agreed!

At one point I was going to start doing some stuff on YouTube. We have a channel set up. It seemed like the thing to do.

But I gotta say, most (90%+) of the stuff I’m seeing from overland hucksters on YT is “cringy” as my daughter would say. I’m glad I didn’t become another one of those “personalities”. I think they’ll look back on some of these vids and cringe.

Now, @Haggis will be along any moment with a soap box to wax poetic about what a big time influencer I am and blah blah yadda yadda…

I eschew all such such nonsense. I’m still doing me same as 10 years ago. Just not dragging around as much crap.

;)

@Haggis is the one that should have a YT channel

Watch this week's episode of Pennsylvania Backwoods to see @Haggis punch a bear, build a viking longboat by hand and describe the nuances of lumber grading. All while explaining to a younger generation that they're wrong... about everything.

I'm all for watching that sort of content!

:popcorn

Viking ships are too labor intensive and I don’t have a sea to put it in, everything beside that is just a common everyday event. Who’d want to see that on the YT?

In truth, I think a YouTube channel for AAV would be a good idea for @Dave but not till he retires. From what I’ve seen it eats a lot of time just to produce good content would be hard to do with a lap full of responsibilities.

Theres some great channels on YT, some of the Canadian expedition canoeist have great adventures that put most overlanding content to shame.

Watch this week's episode of Pennsylvania Backwoods to see @Haggis punch a bear, build a viking longboat by hand and describe the nuances of lumber grading. All while explaining to a younger generation that they're wrong... about everything.

I'm all for watching that sort of content!
I'd pay to watch that show.

I had to do a google search to see who this Swanson feller was. I’m a bit divergent from the pop culture lanes lol.

I did, too. Then saw the photo and recognized it as a guy I've seen in a bunch of memes, but didn't know the actor or the show. Yea, what time is Mannix Matlock on? ;)

EDIT: Geesh, I even messed that up... I was thinking it was Mannix that all of us old foggies were accused of always watching, but it was Matlock.

I did, too. Then saw the photo and recognized it as a guy I've seen in a bunch of memes, but didn't know the actor or the show. Yea, what time is Mannix Matlock on? ;)

EDIT: Geesh, I even messed that up... I was thinking it was Mannix that all of us old foggies were accused of always watching, but it was Matlock.

Mannix is for the really old foggies....

Mannix is for the really old foggies....
I resemble that remark!

Remember the cool green Dodge Dart GTS convertible he drove early on?

It was the same year as McQueen's famous '68 Mustang of the same color in the movie Bullitt (which sold 18 months ago for 3.4M).

Here's Mike Connors (Mannix) in 2010 recreating a 1968 promo photo with the same exact car:

2-Lead-Photo-2-Actor-Mike-Connors-with-Dart-in-2010.jpg

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/mannixs-mannixs-1968-dodge-dart-gts/

https://autoappraisalnetwork.com/mannix-1967-dodge-dart-gts.html

This morning, I emailed Factor 55 with a question I've been thinking about for some time: does bending a soft shackle around a small diameter hard anchor (such as a Crosby shackle) weaken or damage the line. I thought to ask them, since they do a lot of engineering, testing and destructive testing.

I received a call back, and talked with (I forget his name :() for about 30 minutes.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied. What a GREAT company!

Back
Top Bottom