The Random Thoughts Thread

FWIW, I don't think it should be removed.

While I believe our United States Constitution allows for the freedom of expression and peaceful assembly and demonstration, I frankly couldn't be more offended by that advertisement - and it takes a lot to offend me.

That meme, above all that I've seen, demonstrates the offensiveness of Nike's disingenuous message.

This.

I wonder if the genius that sold this idea still has a job?
oh, they do. Now everyone is talking about Nike (good or bad) and they've gotten something like $150,000,000+ of free advertising because of the campaign. All eyes on Nike, not the NFL.

Free advertising doesn't always yield positive results? I believe the majority of people have a negative view of Kaperstroke and that will transition to Nike?

Free advertising doesn't always yield positive results? I believe the majority of people have a negative view of Kaperstroke and that will transition to Nike?
What I learned that Nike continued to bankroll Kaperjack for 2 years even while he wasn't playing. So what exactly did he sacrifice? Was that an NFL version of an "entitlement"? Are Nike profits that massive they can afford to do this at the expense to their stockholders? I know they use overseas "slave" labor to manufacture their foreign sourced product lines, but seriously, what gaul.

Nike has been taking a lot of heat from the left - and probably rightly so - for the appalling working conditions at it's factories. Some examples:

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/campus/article_4fcbbb98-efe1-11e5-9e95-6fc988b86843.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/40444836/escalating-sweatshop-protests-keep-nike-sweating

Wonder if this is a cynical plot to buy some 'street cred' with the so-called social justice warriors, while hoping it doesn't do too much damage with the right. If so, here's hoping it fails.

^^^^I hope the media is sensationalizing it to get people to heed the warnings and it won't be as bad as forecast. I'm sure there will be countless "helpless" people 2 hours after the edges of the storm hit land. I've never understood how you can live in hurricane country and not have a clue how to survive for more than a couple of hours without power, not to mention almost starving to death in the same time frame.

^^^^I hope the media is sensationalizing it to get people to heed the warnings and it won't be as bad as forecast. I'm sure there will be countless "helpless" people 2 hours after the edges of the storm hit land. I've never understood how you can live in hurricane country and not have a clue how to survive for more than a couple of hours without power, not to mention almost starving to death in the same time frame.
:rofl

Wait until they get a quarter inch of snow and watch as they absolutely loose it.

Or So-Cal a couple of years ago when the power went out for a few hours, It was hilarious no signal lights, no gas, no cell service, no atm's not that one could spend money with elec registers, people went nuts :rofl

^^^^I fired up my Honda 2Kw generator, plugged in the 'fridge, cable box, and the TV. My neighbors came over, we BBQ'd in the back yard and watched Monday Night Football. Just as we were about to call it a night another neighbor knocked on the door, she was a roving reporter for the San Diego Fox TV station. She saw the TV flickering and wanted to know how I had power. I ended up take her and the cameraman to the back yard to show them the generator. She wanted to know if I was a "prepper". I assured her I wasn't.

47725e9b9cd481b296db11d6af613a44.jpg

I've been through seven hurricanes, and Florence looks like the real deal.

Everybody's got to die of something, but it's really embarrassing to die from a terminal case of Stupid.

I lived in N. Topsail Beach, NC for Fran and Bertha. We evacced for Bertha and it was a real pain in the A#$#, and felt like a wasted effort because we had no damage to the house. A guy a couple streets over tried to ride it out, got scared and, no shi#, tied himself to one of the stilts that his house was sitting on and spent the night that way. His house didn't lose a shingle.

Fran came around about a week or two after they finally got power and sewer run back out to Topsail Island. We had been out of the house for five or six weeks, and very frustrated about the prior evac. Fran wasn't supposed to be a direct hit (it was aimed for Myrtle Beach), and I had duty the next morning and needed to stay local. So I decided I was gonna sit it out. There were plenty of places I could have gone, but I was young and too stupid to realize how stupid I really was.

Topsail Island turned the power off intentionally several hours before landfall, so I never knew Fran had strengthened, changed course, and was coming straight at us. It hit at night, and our little rented duplex shook a little on its stilts, but not bad. I read a book by the light of a Coleman lantern and went to bed early. The next morning, I was congratulating myself on how smart I was when I noticed my neighbor's house (a couple hundred yards away) was missing. It wasn't damaged, it was wiped-from-the-face-of-the-earth-as-if-it-had-never-been-there. His lot was smooth flat sand. So were the three houses on the other side of it. There was big Caterpillar engine in the middle of the road that had been part of the emergency generator for the fire station. It staid because the cabling for the generator was run through underground conduit and kept it from being washed any further away. The fire station itself looked like it had been bombed. Six of the seven brand new bridges between me and the mainland were impassable. The neighbors were smart enough to leave, so there was no loss of life there, but my case of Stupid was very nearly terminal.

Fran beat us up like that as a Category 3, she ended up killing about 27 people. Florence looks like a Cat-4.

Don't be Stupid like I was. Get out before it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom