The Grey Mouser: Reboot

Why not make the Tacoma your work/hunt/travel/daily driver rig?

I did the 2 truck thing for a while - it really is double the work. And, there are times when what you want/need is in the other truck...

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Why not make the Tacoma your work/hunt/travel/daily driver rig?

I did the 2 truck thing for a while - it really is double the work. And, there are times when what you want/need is in the other truck...
Well the Mouser is all ready the do it all rig. But while it’s a great travel vehicle and woods runner the limiting factors of the 5’ bed, the lack of cargo capacity with the cap on and low towing rating doesn’t let it do some of the truck things I need.

Remember it was originally bought as Michelle’s daily driver when I had Fafhrd to do all the heavy truck things. Having 2 trucks was sweet. After it was decided that the Tacoma was going to be my ride I figured I wouldn’t miss or need it to do all those things as life and work requirements got easier. Plus I bought a trailer to help out with hauling which helps but can be annoying. I was wrong, I at times have to borrow the Old Man’s Tundra to tow our heavier equipment (skid steer and such) or to transport bulky items that won’t fit in that damn cap. My current truck makes for a damn nice SUV.

All our rides are paid off, nobody makes our dream vehicle (I want a midsized 3/4 ton V8 truck with at least a 6.5’ bed) so we’re not hot to trade it off on something new. Besides 90% of the time the Mouser is perfect. So we’re kicking around about getting a used regular cab 3/4 to fulfill the roles a Tacoma can’t. But that leaves me with looking at Fords, Chevys, or Dodges...ugh.

I need to channel my inner @Gallowbraid and go buy more vehicles.

Well the Mouser is all ready the do it all rig. But while it’s a great travel vehicle and woods runner the limiting factors of the 5’ bed, the lack of cargo capacity with the cap on and low towing rating doesn’t let it do some of the truck things I need.

Remember it was originally bought as Michelle’s daily driver when I had Fafhrd to do all the heavy truck things. Having 2 trucks was sweet. After it was decided that the Tacoma was going to be my ride I figured I wouldn’t miss or need it to do all those things as life and work requirements got easier. Plus I bought a trailer to help out with hauling which helps but can be annoying. I was wrong, I at times have to borrow the Old Man’s Tundra to tow our heavier equipment (skid steer and such) or to transport bulky items that won’t fit in that damn cap. My current truck makes for a damn nice SUV.

All our rides are paid off, nobody makes our dream vehicle (I want a midsized 3/4 ton V8 truck with at least a 6.5’ bed) so we’re not hot to trade it off on something new. Besides 90% of the time the Mouser is perfect. So we’re kicking around about getting a used regular cab 3/4 to fulfill the roles a Tacoma can’t. But that leaves me with looking at Fords, Chevys, or Dodges...ugh.

I need to channel my inner @Gallowbraid and go buy more vehicles.
Your "inner Gallowbraid"? I'm scared......... :eek:

I didn't realize you had big truck duties to do. Getting a trailer has solved 95% of my hauling issues. In fact, it has its 3rd load of mulch in it right now - waiting to be unloaded...

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
The current load out is working great! Camp set up or broke down in under 10 minutes with the two of us. Some stuff we brought but haven’t used mainly to the great weather we are experiencing.

Backcountry campsites are scattered but out there in the Blackhills National Forest and are pretty much empty despite the number of Overland type builds on rigs around here (a lot of Rubi JKs/Gladiators). Not a one of those is muddy or covered in dust, even though we’ve seen the same rides touring around 3 days straight. We see them parked in the various Lodges as we drive by early in the morning. The only folks in the backwoods we have seen, other than the local ranchers and loggers, have been in a Sprinter van, a 2000 something Mazda 3, a Volvo sedan and a nice late 90’s 4runner. Oh and lots of SXSs touring the forest roads.

And Cows...lots and lots of cows.

95A68701-25FE-4D62-B1A1-7E418317AF0D.jpeg A9539B58-13EE-4B2E-9065-CE4BF9342DD6.jpeg DCCAC582-04F4-4B0E-9F6B-646CE9BAD880.jpeg
BF0D75B7-09A6-49D2-A792-46920ED261B9.jpeg
79D48747-C209-436A-8370-7D8FF06880E8.jpeg

The Mouser has been well coated in Wyoming and South Dakota soil and fauna..
AF727406-8540-4FD4-B165-B00CF241BE3B.jpeg

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Well you might as well do Wyoming and Montana now too.
We started in Wyoming and than have been slowly coming back East. Stupid Coporate suspended two week vacations this year so we’re making the most of the time we have available.

Michelle has 4 more Western trips laid out already lol.

Come on over to Montana. The smoke is supposed to clear tomorrow and I'll show you around. :D
My sister and brother-in-law are out in Montana now as part of their year long trip. They say that they have never seen so many campers and RVs in the dispersed camping areas north of Yellowstone.

Top Bottom