Four Wheel Camper Swift on a...

Chris Griggers

Adventurist
Author
This will be our 5th offroad camper and I am sure it will not be out last. The first was an eclips attitude toy hauler, dodge ram with a callen camper, CDN M101 with a Tepui Autana Siberian Camo roof top tent, statcraft rt10 and out home built m1102.
FB_IMG_1492564351561.jpg
FB_IMG_1492564455868.jpg
FB_IMG_1492565058296.jpg
image.jpeg
FB_IMG_1492564891993.jpg
FB_IMG_1489956344241.jpg

The taco build page
https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/overland-tacoma.1926/

The m1102 build page
https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/m1102-overgrown-teardrop-thingamajig-build.4131/

Follow us on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/lonestaradventurer/

Check out our webpage:
https://www.lonestaradventurer.com

Last edited:
That brings us up-to-date now. I am having to move for work so we decided now was the time to finally get what we hope will be a camper we stick with for a long time. I wanted to original get the flatbed fleet but we where told it was a no go for my short bed tacoma. So we decided to order a swift from rocky mountain four wheel camper and to mount it to a flatbed. This way we could help offset the lack of storage space by having boxes built to utilise the cut out space that the wheel wells would normally occupy.

We ordered the camper a few months back and it arrived at the dealer the first week of April. Now we are in the long wait getting the truck ready for our instal on the 8th of may.
FWC-Swift-Floorplan.jpg

SWIFT-Exterior Dimensions.jpg

20170418_145119.jpg

Just to torture my self I asked Chris at rocky mountain FWC to send me a few pics of our camper once it arrived at his dealership.
FB_IMG_1492566490242.jpg

FB_IMG_1492566495344.jpg

FB_IMG_1492566499740.jpg

FB_IMG_1492566503688.jpg

Last edited:
The list of goodies we ordered with the Swift.

Mechanical Jacks
Aluminum Jack Brackets
160w Solar
2-way 65 Liter Fridge/Freezer
Forced Air Furnace with Digital Thermostat
DSI 6 Gallon Water Heater with Outside Shower
Two Fantastic Fan Powered Roof Vents
Batwing 270 Degree Awning
Yakima Roof Tracks
Thermal Pack
Two Deep Cycle Batteries
Silver Spur Exterior
Flush Mount Glass top Sink and Stove

We added new bumpstops to help with the added weight of the camper. Still need to add a few spacers to them. We will be cutting it close with getting the truck ready. We pick up the camper may 8th and I am still waiting on dakar hilux leafs and bp51's to come in the mail.

20170411_164816.jpg
20170411_174328.jpg
20170411_181303.jpg
20170411_190110.jpg
20170411_190128.jpg

Good call on the Timbrens.

You may end up needing custom springs and maybe even re-fabbed spring mounts to carry the FWC well. I know my suspension was at full limit just carrying a FlipPac. The rear suspension is the Achilles heel of the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma IMO.

I never thought about messing with the spring mounts. I have a set of old man emu dakar leafs for a Hilux coming in from main line overland. The increased load carrying capabilities offered by the Hilux suspension should be a great match for the FWC hopfuly.

Good call on the Timbrens.

You may end up needing custom springs and maybe even re-fabbed spring mounts to carry the FWC well. I know my suspension was at full limit just carrying a FlipPac. The rear suspension is the Achilles heel of the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma IMO.

Last edited:
Is there a non-metallic spacer between the bed and the frame? Potential corrosion issues with dissimilar metals if not. I can't remember what Dave used, not going to wade through 400 pages of build threads to find it!:cool:

Is there a non-metallic spacer between the bed and the frame? Potential corrosion issues with dissimilar metals if not. I can't remember what Dave used, not going to wade through 400 pages of build threads to find it!:cool:

I did not think of that. It's just bolted right to the frame with no spacers.

Complete and total jealousy. Best of luck with this build. I agree with @bob91yj you need spacers or some way to keep the steel and aluminum from interacting... We looked hard at FWC's for our Tacoma at Expo last year and while we agree it is such a good solution - once in a lifetime purchase - it was not in cards $ wise. I will live vicariously through your build :) and use.

Back
Top Bottom