Dave's AT FlipPac Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ensured balance in the space time continuum by keeping the truck for truck type trips, and purchasing a Subaru Outback for long distance road trips. We have achieved best of both worlds for on and off road vehicles in our stable.

I saw that. Always been a SUbie fan.

The new prop rods and hardware arrived from Bird Dawg Industries - very impressed with these as I doubt we'll have to replace them ever again. The new branch deflectors are a nice addition as well since I no longer have to worry about them getting snagged on anything. No more worries about UV degradation on cheap plastic bits!

I hear they're working on a full torsion bar delete kit that will use these same prop rods :spy

http://www.birddawgindustries.com/home.html

View attachment 8922

View attachment 8923

View attachment 8924

View attachment 8925

View attachment 8926

View attachment 8928

Want...! Only thing needed for me is to have the brackets anodized in black and because of the abuse.. 1" heat shrink 4 ft long cut to size makes great sleeves that grab the rods just right. Sorry my Flip Pac is under a different scheme for a special outfitting.

I couldnt find these on the site link provided. Do you have a more direct link or price and availability on these Dave?

Noted, thanks for the advisement and the extra inspiration... Although I am on a different platform with my Ford Ranger. Would like to make it to some of the Rendezvous on your site... Local to the Riverside area and would be possible to do. Thanks again.

My house battery (Die Hard Platinum Marine) was near the end of it's lifecycle after 4 years of adventure. So I went to Sears to grab a new one before the Rendezvous and... the Platinum line seems to have been discontinued at my local store (I do see them online but they seem to be less numerous for whatever reason).

The "new" thing at Sears seems to be the DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Model #50033 - 725 cca @ 0 F, RC 185 and 20 hr rate of 105 Ah. Doing some research online, this DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Model #50033 battery appears to be a re-badged Deka made by East Penn.

Pretty good reviews.

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is an American made AGM (absorved glass-mat) deep cycle battery. The AGM technology allows for a completely sealed maintenance-free battery with no sulfuric acid leaks, no acid clean up, and more power in the same space when compared to conventional batteries. It has an under 2% per month self discharge rate. These are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing who also makes batteries for MK Battery.

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is a direct replacement for any group 31 lead-acid, GEL, or AGM batteries.

8A31DTM_Deka_Intimidator_Battery.jpg

Based on my research of this "new" development, I put one in the FlipPac's National Luna Power Pack as my new house battery.

1.jpg

Pro tip: Always take a Sharpie and mark the new battery with month and year of install for future reference and keep your receipt just in case.

2.jpg

I get a few questions about the water system that I copied from Tango, here's some details and who makes it

image.jpeg

Coffee fuels my adventures

image.jpeg

Awesome build giving me lots of inspiration for my Flippac build:) I was looking at the Goose Gear site and didn't see options for the top opening cabinets like you have. Looks like quality cabinets, but the price is pretty high. What would it run to duplicate the cabinet setup you have?

Bad news.... SLO isn't making the Fiamma inclosures anymore, seems everyone wanted a custom one and they deemed it unprofitable. Further they kept no records of yours so unable to replicate any ideas? Noticed you had a hand drawn sketch but I can't locate that post as it's not with this thread. Any chance of a repost or location? Thanks

That's a bummer, I get a LOT of questions on this. All I had was that old sketch but the good news is it's really easy to make one and any upholstery type place could make one - 4 walls, some velcro and a zipper ;)

Here it is in action at Desert Rendezvous 2015, Fiamma awning deployed with shower enclosure attached

shower and fly.jpg

You know if if guy wanted to start a small business i bet he could make a tidy profit. The details are whats lacking here like what is it secured to at the vehicle? Come on Dave you know you want to have something else to keep you busy,bet you could sell 100 of these in a year.

I was thinking more like visiting a local mfgr and providing a model for their measurements and having them make up a batch of 10 and marketing them? Sounds benign but all things like this do.

@woody here is the old sketch with measurements ;)

AwningEnclosure2.png

Pictures of how the enclosure attaches to the awning:

Hooks attach inside wall to Fiamma case (truck side), inside wall provides extra privacy as well wind protection. Hooks have grommets which allow the mounting of lights or just about anything.

100_3709.jpg

Inside corner mounting details. Note how the velcro wraps around the bars for max privacy and wind proofing. Front corner here.

100_3708.jpg

Rear corner here (truck side)

100_3707.jpg

Shown here during enclosure mounting, the 7mm channel in the Fiamma allows the use of this "rope" for mounting and a completely sealed front edge.

100_3716.jpg

When I had it made, the enclosure was $280 shipped to my door.

Last edited:
@woody here is the old sketch with measurements ;)

View attachment 18283

Pictures of how the enclosure attaches to the awning:

Hooks attach inside wall to Fiamma case (truck side), inside wall provides extra privacy as well wind protection. Hooks have grommets which allow the mounting of lights or just about anything.

View attachment 18284

Inside corner mounting details. Note how the velcro wraps around the bars for max privacy and wind proofing. Front corner here.

View attachment 18285

Rear corner here (truck side)

View attachment 18286

Shown here during enclosure mounting, the 7mm channel in the Fiamma allows the use of this "rope" for mounting and a completely sealed front edge.

View attachment 18287

When I had it made, the enclosure was $280 shipped to my door.

Worth EVERY penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom