Batteries - which are good, which are not

Contrary to the "Book of Overlander Requirements: Compliance Codes, Gear Minimums, and Clothing Brands to be accepted as an Overlander", you do NOT need a dual battery to effectively operate off grid while camping. It isn't needed for winching, it isn't needed for jump starting, it isn't needed for running your fridge and camp lights.

I am looking into batteries and came to this thread late... and it has been super informative... but this quote from @Mitch wins the night! LMAO...

For me I guess it depends upon the application. Starting = a HIGH Cold Cranking Amp AGM Battery... House or Common Deep Cycle High Amp Hour Rating AGM battery. I used to like the Optima batteries but now Duracell Ultra AGM for starting and Trojan AGM for house or deep cycle

Well my battery just shit the bed, and AAA won't honor the warranty because the previous owner of my Lexus put a new battery in it right before I bought it, and I am not the original purchaser, even though it's barely 3 years old. So I need to find a good off the shelf battery by tomorrow so I can make it to MVR this weekend. The battery size is a 27F. I can go with AAA again and get a 6 year warranty, but I don't think I was to get another if this only lasted a little over 3 years. The AAA tech said they are interstate batteries. What other options do I have that are easily available (that isn't Optima)?

Well my battery just shit the bed, and AAA won't honor the warranty because the previous owner of my Lexus put a new battery in it right before I bought it, and I am not the original purchaser, even though it's barely 3 years old. So I need to find a good off the shelf battery by tomorrow so I can make it to MVR this weekend. The battery size is a 27F. I can go with AAA again and get a 6 year warranty, but I don't think I was to get another if this only lasted a little over 3 years. The AAA tech said they are interstate batteries. What other options do I have that are easily available (that isn't Optima)?

I put one of these in the LandCruiser when the battery pooped. Use the coupon code that pops up on the site when ordering online and store pickup.

-Andy

Happy New Year! Waking this thread up for 2021, as it’s about time to replace my batteries. I’m currently running a dual-battery set up with Advanced Gold AGM Group 34’s from Sears (one 5 years old, the other 6; both warranty replacements for previous Platinums) with a 150W solar panel. Any recommendations on which batteries are in the top 3?

Last edited:
Happy New Year! Waking this thread up for 2021, as it’s about time to replace my batteries. I’m currently running a dual-battery set up with Advanced Gold AGM Group 34’s from Sears (one 5 years old, the other 6; both warranty replacements for previous Platinums) with a 150W solar panel. Any recommendations on which batteries are in the top 3?
I've chased the battery demon both in Landcruisers and Tacomas and ended up back with the Interstate brand sold by Costco. Three year no questions asked free replacement, which essentially is a lifetime battery.

The Colorado sat all week Thanksgiving and the following cold (27*F) Tuesday morning required a jump to get going for our trip to PGH. It did alright the rest of the week but then set again Thurs PM to Tues AM again showed it down to about 12.1 vdc so I found an AGM from Interstate (MTX-48/H6). I noticed two things, 1) there's a lot more electronic gadgetry to refresh when the battery has been out even of just a few minutes (Compass needed recal and we had to drive a mile or so to get the TPMs to register again and 2) alternator output is 12.6 again instead of the 15+ it had been. Also item #3 the life of an AC Delco battery seems to be about 64-66 months based on our observations new Olds in 89, Chev in 93, Pontiacs in 05 and 08 and 2 Chev trucks 08 and 18.

The Colorado sat all week Thanksgiving and the following cold (27*F) Tuesday morning required a jump to get going for our trip to PGH. It did alright the rest of the week but then set again Thurs PM to Tues AM again showed it down to about 12.1 vdc so I found an AGM from Interstate (MTX-48/H6). I noticed two things, 1) there's a lot more electronic gadgetry to refresh when the battery has been out even of just a few minutes (Compass needed recal and we had to drive a mile or so to get the TPMs to register again and 2) alternator output is 12.6 again instead of the 15+ it had been. Also item #3 the life of an AC Delco battery seems to be about 64-66 months based on our observations new Olds in 89, Chev in 93, Pontiacs in 05 and 08 and 2 Chev trucks 08 and 18.
Ideally, you want to increase your charging voltage with the new AGM battery. Charging voltage is most likely on the battery label.

I can tell you how to increase the voltage in a Tacoma... :p I'm sure there is a similar way to change the voltage in a Colorado.

3rd gen Tacoma's ECU controls battery charging voltage and it could be changed with an engine tune. That may be the same case with the Colorado

Back
Top Bottom