Making American Adventurist Better: An Ongoing Discussion

Just read the entire thread and what a read... Thus far, as a newer member here (migrated from the other place), there are some great inputs to better the community and help it grow. I've been on a few other boards as well, met a lot of great people, been on a few excursions in the other place, even one of my good friends was made on a car forum. Although this is new site for me and I didnt know a soul here, I feel comfortable on AAV since we all share similar interests and everyone has been very welcoming. MRV was my first event and although I didn't really talk to anyone or mingle amongst the different crowds, I still felt it was a fun event and was looking forward to the next. Heck I won a surefire flashlight at my first event. T4T was a better experience since I've met a few more people since MRV and I'm sure the future events/trips I attend will continue to expand that comfortability and friendliness.

The individual must make the effort to jump in as all the tools and opportunities have already been provided. (Thoroughly provided with many thanks.) There's always room for improvement and with a thread like this and all the helpful/funny members here, I'm proud to be a part of AAV and look forward to making more memories and friends here.

Glamisdude- I'm not that much older than you (30 but my friends and girlfriend call me old-man-boy) so don't feel like age is a problem. I had that initial impression as well but like was mentioned earlier: just getting out there, showing a face and handshake around a campfire can go a long way.

I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the PRK comment and it's backlash n the forum...closely followed by the perpetrator starting another thread closely followed by a post in that thread from a person that I think is a moderator making a mockery of the NASA acronym.

Where is the line drawn? Is it just at states? No one got upset when Dan posted a comment in the Introduce Yourself thread poking fun at himself (and a new member) with his North Calachatchie (or something similar) crack. As American's aren't we proud of what NASA has accomplished? I work for a Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealership, the democratically elected government of this great nation chose to bail GM out a few years ago, should I get upset when someone makes a mockery of that debacle and refers to General Motors as Government Motors?

I get it that this is Dave's site, he doesn't care for the acronym, his prerogative.

I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the PRK comment and it's backlash n the forum...closely followed by the perpetrator starting another thread closely followed by a post in that thread from a person that I think is a moderator making a mockery of the NASA acronym.

Where is the line drawn? Is it just at states? No one got upset when Dan posted a comment in the Introduce Yourself thread poking fun at himself (and a new member) with his North Calachatchie (or something similar) crack. As American's aren't we proud of what NASA has accomplished? I work for a Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealership, the democratically elected government of this great nation chose to bail GM out a few years ago, should I get upset when someone makes a mockery of that debacle and refers to General Motors as Government Motors?

I get it that this is Dave's site, he doesn't care for the acronym, his prerogative.

Bottom line up front: I'm not going to allow PRK/CommieFornia or other type comments that unfairly stereotype and marginalize millions of good people here. It's just not cool with lots of folks so I've made the call because it IS my perogative.

Inane comments and vacuous bullshit is not why I started this forum and it's not fun to read so I'm nipping it in the bud. Dan has had his last warning from me and the next time I feel the line is crossed I'm dropping a ban hammer. And that's a fact.

danger - banhammer imminent.jpg

Dan is being vewy quiet, like he's hunting wabbits...he's not ever gonna say another disparaging thing on this website. He's gonna be a good boy. He's gonna post travel and vehicle mod stuff and maybe some science and historical references. That's it! He appreciates being here. He thanks you all.

Last edited:
Making light of the situation, especially considering the continual time and attention the staff have spent on helping you to learn to play nicely with others here online, is just not funny Dan. I really need you to just chill out. This post does not require another insincere round of sarcasm or mockery either. I have deleted all the inane remarks now let's move on.

Dan is being vewy quiet, like he's hunting wabbits...he's not ever gonna say another disparaging thing on this website. He's gonna be a good boy. He's gonna post travel and vehicle mod stuff and maybe some science and historical references. That's it! He appreciates being here. He thanks you all.

Frog taters? (See edit box above) C'mon Dan, you sound like you're under the influence. Please post sober.

Thanks for pointing out my trailer build. I don't drink or do drugs, as a matter of fact I was baptized last Sunday. I'm just creative and always have been( inspired by George Carlin ). I'd still like to check in with everyone, but I'm not gonna say much of anything anymore. I am seriously butt hurt by all of this.

Last edited:
Dan, I think you missed the point of all of this. It is very hard to convey humor and sarcasm in written words, heck some people have problems doing it in spoken words. Without context and emotion, it can come across as harsh and demeaning. There are times and places for this, there is also time and places where one needs to man up and realize maybe a line is crossed and say I'm sorry (without sarcasm). Thick skin is required but not at the sacrifice of common decency and manors. I don't always agree with folks but I also know everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. Productive banter is a useful tool. Demeaning, sly comments and sarcasm rarely helps a situation. I feel if you could look beyond your own self imposed "butt hurt" as you say, you might see things a little differently.

I noticed about 10 minutes after you made the above post, you put your AAV branded Trasharoo up for sale. Hummm.... this kind of harkens to the idea of having a fight with a girlfriend and throwing all her stuff out just because you didn't like what she had to say. Weak minds run away from problems. Strong minds work to find resolutions to problems. Ask yourself, what do you want to be? Life is a challenge and every person's situation is different. No person is perfect nor has all the answers. The quote in my signature is very valid and I find I can learn much more by listening than speaking, even if speaking is what you want to do.

Safe travels on wherever your journey takes you.

Dan, I think you missed the point of all of this. It is very hard to convey humor and sarcasm in written words, heck some people have problems doing it in spoken words. Without context and emotion, it can come across as harsh and demeaning. There are times and places for this, there is also time and places where one needs to man up and realize maybe a line is crossed and say I'm sorry (without sarcasm). Thick skin is required but not at the sacrifice of common decency and manors. I don't always agree with folks but I also know everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. Productive banter is a useful tool. Demeaning, sly comments and sarcasm rarely helps a situation. I feel if you could look beyond your own self imposed "butt hurt" as you say, you might see things a little differently.

I noticed about 10 minutes after you made the above post, you put your AAV branded Trasharoo up for sale. Hummm.... this kind of harkens to the idea of having a fight with a girlfriend and throwing all her stuff out just because you didn't like what she had to say. Weak minds run away from problems. Strong minds work to find resolutions to problems. Ask yourself, what do you want to be? Life is a challenge and every person's situation is different. No person is perfect nor has all the answers. The quote in my signature is very valid and I find I can learn much more by listening than speaking, even if speaking is what you want to do.

Safe travels on wherever your journey takes you.
Very well said mike.

I agree and thanks for that. I did say I was sorry in one post but then it all got thrown back in my face again. After that I was trying to use humor to lighten the mood afterwards with the hunting wabbits line and I meant no disrespect. Like I've said before, I feel like you guys are family to me and I don't want to leave. I have no excuse other than having gone through some really rough 4 months of high illness and stress and I'm way behind on everything. I don't want to offend anyone, I just didn't feel like I was being heard. Yes offering up the Trasharoo was childish but this morning I was ready to walk away from it all. I'm sorry for that too. I have a weeks worth of driving and self reflection before I get to the expo. Again thanks for everybody's support. You are a great bunch of people and I always felt proud to be counted among you. Sincerely Dan.

Last edited:
Dan, everyone has to do what is best for them. Sometimes that just means taking a break, sometimes reflecting on actions and sometimes just walking away. We all make mistakes, we all do things that we wish we could undo but can't. This is just part of life. For me personally, it's a person's actions that speaks volumes about them but I also expect people to accept any consequences of their actions. Excuses and playing victim generally doesn't fly when they have been stirring the pot. As you said, illness can explain a cause but is still not an excuse.

One thing I would mention for you to reflect on is humor. Humor can be a great thing and can add so much to a conversion or an event. It is also good to know your target audience. It's like telling a funny story about cooking a piece of chicken to a group of PETA folks. This would not be the right target audience. I have found most AAV folks to be of above intelligence so juvenile type humor is going to be lost on them. Again, know your target audience.

I hope you do not find this message as trying to attack you, belittle you or make you feel bad. My only goal is to help guide and allow you to grow as an individual but that said, the old saying is, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". It's all up to you. Safe travels.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be reaching out to me. That says a lot. I honestly wasn't trying to stir the pot although in hindsight I suppose I was, and I certainly don't want to play the victim. I have no excuses. It was poor behavior and I'm putting an end to it right now. I'm currently going through some changes and I'm gonna man up and deal with the paths life puts before me. Thanks again.

See you at Overland Expo Dan. We'll get a root beer from that great vendor and chat :)

Bumping this up, what would you guys like to see here on the Forum? We're listening :)

Back
Top Bottom