Your Favorite Camping Meals

This will get laughs I think, but here goes... good old Mulligan Stew, Circa 1986..
1 pack Ramen noodles
Diced meat that is available (avoiding dehydrated hamurger patties... you know if you know) these days I use sausage, grilled chicken shredded or hot dogs
Cheese that is available
Saltine crackers crumbled to help thicken it
...and... of course... Tobasco sauce (actually these days I prefer Frank's Red Hot or Franks Buffalo)

This "meal" is been a tradition for me and now for my sons. People always laugh and then they try it.
*Disclaimer - Meal has more sodium, cholesterol and generally bad things for you than just about anything you can stuff in your pie hole... live with it or die by it. :)

This will get laughs I think, but here goes... good old Mulligan Stew, Circa 1986..
1 pack Ramen noodles
Diced meat that is available (avoiding dehydrated hamurger patties... you know if you know) these days I use sausage, grilled chicken shredded or hot dogs
Cheese that is available
Saltine crackers crumbled to help thicken it
...and... of course... Tobasco sauce (actually these days I prefer Frank's Red Hot or Franks Buffalo)

This "meal" is been a tradition for me and now for my sons. People always laugh and then they try it.
*Disclaimer - Meal has more sodium, cholesterol and generally bad things for you than just about anything you can stuff in your pie hole... live with it or die by it. :)

In truth from time to time I will make something very similar although mine is a much simpler version. Whatever meat I can find along with some form of vegetable. The other one is pre-prepared foil meals. Everyone in the house puts whatever kind of meat, vegetable and seasoning and it gets wrapped up in double layer foil and stuffed into a zip-lock. Once the fire gets going they go on close by rocks or something and in about 20 minutes a really great meal is done. It's really easy to make and warms you up when you pull into a camp exhausted with wind, rain, snow etc. beating the dog snot out of you. The last thing I want to do is have to set up the kitchen and prepare some kinda long drawn out meal with the associated clean up.

The other one is pre-prepared foil meals. Everyone in the house puts whatever kind of meat, vegetable and seasoning and it gets wrapped up in double layer foil and stuffed into a zip-lock. Once the fire gets going they go on close by rocks or something and in about 20 minutes a really great meal is done. It's really easy to make and warms you up when you pull into a camp exhausted with wind, rain, snow etc. beating the dog snot out of you. The last thing I want to do is have to set up the kitchen and prepare some kinda long drawn out meal with the associated clean up.

These are GREAT! :chef

I was on a ARSES Paddling trip. Someone did a boil with corn oncob, sausage, clams and I don't know what else. Best camping meal I've ever had, and I've been invited to many incredible feasts. I have lost track of who did it. I would love to get that recipe. After a long day on the water... OMG!

I was on a ARSES Paddling trip. Someone did a boil with corn oncob, sausage, clams and I don't know what else. Best camping meal I've ever had, and I've been invited to many incredible feasts. I have lost track of who did it. I would love to get that recipe. After a long day on the water... OMG!

Thanks Al. That makes me feel good.

It was 250 little neck clams, 10 lbs of potatoes, 6 lbs kielbasa, 48 nibblers(corn) 1 lg onion, old bay, steamed with 1 gal white wine. Mmmm. I need to do that again
Back from hibernation. Maybe catch a trip or 2 with you guys this year.

My pirate son wants to do the little j again.

Awesome! Right, now I remember! Welcome back! I completely missed this paddling season due to health stuff. We should plan a Little J trip for this spring. Haggis???

Awesome! Right, now I remember! Welcome back! I completely missed this paddling season due to health stuff. We should plan a Little J trip for this spring. Haggis???
Yes. We have to do a trip somewhere. They were always so much fun. Broken canoes, pirates, whiffleball bats, great food and the best was the company. The ARSES.

This thread is not nearly long enough. I've got a 10-day trip coming up and need some ideas!

My own skills don't extend much past charred meat, eggs, and tortillas. I did branch out with the bacon-wrapped bananas.

Anybody got a good (and by good I mean easy) dutch oven bread recipe?

This thread is not nearly long enough. I've got a 10-day trip coming up and need some ideas!

My own skills don't extend much past charred meat, eggs, and tortillas. I did branch out with the bacon-wrapped bananas.

Anybody got a good (and by good I mean easy) dutch oven bread recipe?

Any basic sour dough works REALLY well in the DO. But that requires letting it rise overnight generally. If you dont want to wait that long, you can do a soda bread. Easy and works well. Throw some parchment paper in and just pour/lump the dough in!

Soda bread (this one is Trader Joes "Beer Bred" pre mixed and tasty)
35007810803_26eb161e04_b.jpg

35777153936_640d958d45_b.jpg

Pizza in the dutch oven is great too.

As to camping recipes, we do strogonoff in the winter.

Cut up a streak into strips, brown, remove from pan.

Mushrooms, fresh, sliced, add to meat juice and cook. Remove from pan, save juice.

Add one can of cream of mushroom soup to pan, add in saved juice, add in some beef stock, simmer. Corn starch can be used to thicken as desired.

Make EGG noodles.

Add meat and mushrooms back to sauce, cook a little together, add noodles. Eat.

Its pretty easy, only makes a mess of one pan, and is tasty!

Here's a recipe for crusty bread out of a Dutch Oven that I've used many times, substituting the oven for coals in camp.

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

Al here are pictures of last 2 trips I took.

Definitely need to get ARSES together for a float trip.

New job I work 30 on 15 off.

81994DC7-D3BA-4EF3-BAE1-48C814316B7A.jpeg

1A917A37-F73A-4B84-913F-141FAB3A736F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom