Your Favorite Camping Meals

My wife and I snuck out to the desert to camp on Friday night, and decided to break out of our groove by trying to cook something new. I recently bought a copy of "Forks in the Road." It's an overlanding cookbook by Jessica and Kobus Mans. So we flipped through the book and picked something we had never tried . . . .

Shishkabobs which include BACON WRAPPED BANANAS. If you haven't then you should. We typically go straight from a skewer to a flour tortilla for campfire cooking. The tortilla also adds a little structure to keep the banana off your chin. These worked great. The mix of traditional savory flavors with the occasional surprise bite into a bacon wrapped banana was great. While it's certainly true that everything tastes better off a campfire, these were strong enough that I would make them at home. I highly recommend the book and the dish.

Sorry there are no pics, but we were very careful to destroy all the evidence.

I NEED to try that "drink while someone else cooks" approach....? I don't think I could do it though..... I still stand by my grilled ribeye and asparagus, zucchini medley. This year I whipped up some Brussels sprouts and they came out great. I'm going to do that again for sure! In the past I threw together a bourbon & cracked peppercorn creme sauce for the rib eye..... and it was GOOD!!

Oh, I forgot... if camping at Uhwarrie, get the pork loin breakfast biscuit with eggs and cheese.... When you're finished with THAT go back and get a second one!!

Sorry, can't find a photo, I think I ate that, too...

This is true, I can name at least a do
I NEED to try that "drink while someone else cooks" approach....? I don't think I could do it though..... I still stand by my grilled ribeye and asparagus, zucchini medley. This year I whipped up some Brussels sprouts and they came out great. I'm going to do that again for sure! In the past I threw together a bourbon & cracked peppercorn creme sauce for the rib eye..... and it was GOOD!!
...and I will stand next to Ryan to collect a few bites while he stands by his grilled ribeye and veges. I can provide the names of at least a dozen recipients who will attest to the elegantly simple but exceptional tastiness of his effort. The vegetables maintain the right amount of crunchiness, with the addition of char and smoke, and the savory flavor of steak. Ryan has this one down pat.

Ribeys and lemon pepper chicken over a wood fire doesn't suck.
20160904_190700.jpg

My favorites in no particular order:
- Breakfast sandwiches - english muffin, fried egg, hash browns, Tyson sausage patties, and Philly cheese steak. The last two can be found a Smart and Final.
- Breakfast burrito- Bacon, egg, and hash brown base. Add sausage, chorizo, last nights steak, or what ever else floats your boat wrapped in the largest tortilla you can find.
- Dutch oven stew - meat coated in spices and ~ 1/4 cup flower, potatoes, carrots, peas, onion, peppers. 1c ketchup, 1c BBQ sauce, and beer to cover.
- Dutch oven Mountain man breakfast - Brown sausage, remove and drain. brown hash browns in the bottom with enough oil to get the job done. Add back in sausage, 8-12 eggs, and top with cheese. cook until the eggs are done. Options are to crumble bacon in as well and / or top with biscuits and recover for the last 15 min.
- Dutch oven cobbler - who doesn't
- Steak and beans

Here is breakfast sandwiches in construction in front of Laurel Creek
P1050849.jpg

My wife and I snuck out to the desert to camp on Friday night, and decided to break out of our groove by trying to cook something new. I recently bought a copy of "Forks in the Road." It's an overlanding cookbook by Jessica and Kobus Mans. So we flipped through the book and picked something we had never tried . . . .

Shishkabobs which include BACON WRAPPED BANANAS. If you haven't then you should. We typically go straight from a skewer to a flour tortilla for campfire cooking. The tortilla also adds a little structure to keep the banana off your chin. These worked great. The mix of traditional savory flavors with the occasional surprise bite into a bacon wrapped banana was great. While it's certainly true that everything tastes better off a campfire, these were strong enough that I would make them at home. I highly recommend the book and the dish.

Sorry there are no pics, but we were very careful to destroy all the evidence.
Excellent cook book, I bought 12 a couple years ago for Christmas presents. Never go camping without planning something out of the book first. Yummmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinner sometimes Costco stuffed salmon wrapped in tin foil with butter and placed on the grill with onions and taters and Floyd playing in the back ground! Can't go wrong with a bag omelets in the morning! 2 eggs, cubed up Jalapeno Spam, onions, bell peppers, shrooms, hot sauce and cheese. While that is cooking I have taters on the skillet cooking as well. Fresh brewed coffee. can't get any better than that! Sometimes pancakes as well!

Pot of water, open can of mushroom soup, bag of quick boil brown rice, cooked chicken chunks in zip lock bag, (from rotisserie chicken). Put soup can in water add heat, drop in rice bag and chicken bag. When soup starts bubbling put rice in a bowl add chicken pour soup over and enjoy. Size accordingly.

I have to say that my wife is a fantastic cook and really enjoys creating new things, but when I'm camping I like to keep it simple.
Here's some kielbasa with onions on the first night in our Hallmark.

IMG_0385.JPG

Jeez, you guys are gourmet.

I go with Black Forrest Ham, Sharp cheddar on an onion hamburger bun. Do that for lunch and most dinners. Because I am a lousy cook.

When camping with friends...(Who all are amazing chefs who argue over who gets to cook.) Odd how all my camping, shooting and four wheeling friends have great senses of humor and love to cook...

Last edited:
Foil pack dinners.

1/2 lbs ground beef (or bison or vension)
Quartered potato
Quartered onion
Salt
Pepper
A1 sauce
Fold upon foil and toss in the coals of a good cooking fire, flip at 15 minutes, done in 30.

Eat out of the foil.

I've always called these "hobos" and is one of my go to meals usually later in a trip to use whatever is left over from other meals. Another great thing about it is to let the kids pick what they want and they make their own dinner.

One thing that I enjoy about being outdoors is doing something that is a little different than a day at the house. These are all things that I would eat at home but for some reason when it is prepared this way it just tastes great.

Back
Top Bottom