I have to ask why, if the winch capacity is only 4400 lbs? Seems you could easily exceed that.

NOTE: The very conservative max recommended capacity of the winch. The general consensus is the rated capacity is in the 8000-9000 lb range.

These winches are quite robust in design and the owners manual does not accurately rate their true capacity. Worm gear design, an external brake assy, and endless duty cycle make them quite desirable. There are stories floating around about Toyota (Aisin) PTO winches out pulling 12000 lb name brand electrics. The trade off is: size, weight of the total system, engine has to be running, and not easy to operate with just one person.

OK, missed your earlier capacity. Carry on. Is the shear pin still available?

No worries.

I'm sure it is, but that's the catch. The shear pin is rated around the capacity listed in the manual of course. Almost every story I've read, the pin is replaced with a pin of a higher rated value. That is the unknown of the whole setup. The PTO winch will not stall because 1. very low gearing 2. potentially 30 times the horsepower behind it when compared to an electric winch of the same rating. That shear pin will keep someone from grenading the winch if overloaded, so it's going to be important to get it right. To make sure of that, I will be consulting with a friend I've made that has a PhD in mechanical engineering. I will let him big brain the crap out of this one.

The winch came in last week, and I had my first opportunity to start cleaning it up tonight. It is obvious that the 20-25 year old seals will need to be replaced from the cleaning I've been doing. It would be fine to use as is, but it seeps gear oil. Everything appears to work as advertised though, so I'm a happy camper. I pulled off all of the cable since I will run synthetic... much heavier than the cable that came off my M8000. Probably 30+ lbs of weight removed. I also found good reason to remove it a couple wraps down...

49a3474356cac996f0e72431f404384e.jpg

c571ca50ee0503c654903855ce4b413b.jpg

After I get the case drained, I will open it up and check the condition of the gears.

a100b6541162df8978bd6d42aa0d4f8a-955x659.gif

Hopefully, I will still be able to order from this parts break-down.

Last edited:
When it comes to seals I would order 2 as their availability is limited to non-existent once you return to the US. Also, the website Toyotapartsdeal.com has a a link to the National Toyota parts bin. Enter the PN or research the schematics for the correct part and it will tell you availability, substitutes, retail, and wholesale costs. You'll be surprised to see that your overseas produced unicorn will have many parts available in the US.

When it comes to seals I would order 2 as their availability is limited to non-existent once you return to the US. Also, the website Toyotapartsdeal.com has a a link to the National Toyota parts bin. Enter the PN or research the schematics for the correct part and it will tell you availability, substitutes, retail, and wholesale costs. You'll be surprised to see that your overseas produced unicorn will have many parts available in the US.

Agreed, seals are easy to stash away for a rainy day. I'm using a couple different sites and a parts distributor currently, but I will pay more attention to the one you listed when I get back. Parts for the truck itself, I'm not too worried about... In most cases, replacement that I don't stock myself will mean a little wait for shipping. This winch is a different story since it was produced by Aisin for Toyota. This particular style only lasted 5-6 years before Toyota dropped the PTO and went strictly electric. I'm not sure how much luck I will have ordering. IMO, it will be worth the trouble to have a worm gear driven winch and no duty cycle limit.

Agreed, seals are easy to stash away for a rainy day. I'm using a couple different sites and a parts distributor currently, but I will pay more attention to the one you listed when I get back. Parts for the truck itself, I'm not too worried about... In most cases, replacement that I don't stock myself will mean a little wait for shipping. This winch is a different story since it was produced by Aisin for Toyota. This particular style only lasted 5-6 years before Toyota dropped the PTO and went strictly electric. I'm not sure how much luck I will have ordering. IMO, it will be worth the trouble to have a worm gear driven winch and no duty cycle limit.

Yes, the site I provided is for the US, reflecting US Toyota inventory. A worm drive 100% duty cycle winch is the ideal.

That center console is just screaming for a replacement... Gaijin-sized - one you could actually rest your elbow on.

013.jpg

coolfj40_2270_12842436

I want some of these for the Hundy....SO BAD!!
I'm surprised a guy with your skill set wouldn't give a shot at making your own. That said, these are everything they are advised to be. Excellent quality. I don't feel that pictures do much justice to the tight fitment. Here are some crappy pictures from my phone:

e84346bfdfb8f77b5623ea16e493c4bf.jpg

a36b410d9e90b939341dba6c60e940bb.jpg

968c05b7805932deeb9d172fc52be9b7.jpg

I'm surprised a guy with your skill set wouldn't give a shot at making your own. That said, these are everything they are advised to be. Excellent quality. I don't feel that pictures do much justice to the tight fitment. Here are some crappy pictures from my phone:

e84346bfdfb8f77b5623ea16e493c4bf.jpg

a36b410d9e90b939341dba6c60e940bb.jpg

968c05b7805932deeb9d172fc52be9b7.jpg
Thanks. Upholstery never really was my forte.
You need special sewing machines etc.. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.... That said, the next wad of dough I fork out will likely be for a set of these!

Thanks. Upholstery never really was my forte.
You need special sewing machines etc.. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.... That said, the next wad of dough I fork out will likely be for a set of these!
I promise, you won't be disappointed. After looking at them again today, the only thing I think I will do for fitment, is wash the headrest to shrink them down a bit. You could bounce quarters on everything else.

These were ordered to protect the near 25 year old factory interior that is in very good condition. But, I had noticed the drivers side bolster was wearing thin from years of sliding over. The seat covers will provide ample protection for the original equipment and modernize the look quite a bit. Money well spent on a vehicle that will get used as intended.

During a recent trip it became apparent that the lack of 12v power in the cab was going to be a problem. I have the 24v to 12v DC step down converter mounted, but have been putting off wiring it up. I don't have access to my normal wiring supplies out here, so I figured I'd just stick it out until I get it back to the States. Well, I'm glad I waited...

The new Blue Sea Systems 4.8 amp USB charger is also dual voltage! Before, I figured I would need to power a charger through the step down, using valuable conversion wattage in the process. Now, it made it easier than ever to install. I simply removed the old 24v lighter socket. Opened up the mounting hole a little (from ~1" to 1-1/8".) Mounted it in place and made a short wiring harness to tie into the stock system.

Works like a charm.

DSC_0849.JPG

A while back you might remember that I rolled through 200k kms on the Cruiser. During my reset of the timing belt light (had already been replaced at 189k) I cracked the lens to the gauge cluster. It has a rubber plug in it that has to be removed to push the button, but is damn near impossible to get back in after doing so. Next time, I will just remove the whole lens... lesson learned. I was finally able to get a replacement lens in and installed last night, but in the process, figured I would try taking on another project:

MPH Conversion Screenshot - 1.jpg

Progress is being made for the sunny shores of the United States!

Back
Top Bottom