Travel kitchen ideas

Eric, funny timing on this. I was just considering consolidating my kitchen arrangement. I've got this big beautiful drawer in a home made cabinet thing with a stove slide out and all that fun stuff, but it seems I'm bringing stuff along just because it's already in the drawer. Plus the cabinet is probably 50-60#
With a backpacker type stove or jetboil and the skottle, most cooking can be handled. I may look into some nesting pots.

The wolfpacks seem great. Has anyone had any issues with the latches?

Eric, funny timing on this. I was just considering consolidating my kitchen arrangement. I've got this big beautiful drawer in a home made cabinet thing with a stove slide out and all that fun stuff, but it seems I'm bringing stuff along just because it's already in the drawer. Plus the cabinet is probably 50-60#
With a backpacker type stove or jetboil and the skottle, most cooking can be handled. I may look into some nesting pots.

plastic latches break and the metal is really dig into the plastic in an annoying way. I wish they were stainless or chrome instead of galvanized.

I really need to whittle everything down to just necessities. A lot of great ideas here on the thread and I really like that Front Runner box. I have several vehicles that depending on the trip has to fit into any of them. In my opinion anything that nests is really nice just because it takes up so much less room. My biggest hurdle is the wife as she likes to bring far more than we will ever need much to my consternation but then again a MRE or dehydrated meal is fine with me under most circumstances.

I really need to whittle everything down to just necessities. A lot of great ideas here on the thread and I really like that Front Runner box. I have several vehicles that depending on the trip has to fit into any of them. In my opinion anything that nests is really nice just because it takes up so much less room. My biggest hurdle is the wife as she likes to bring far more than we will ever need much to my consternation but then again a MRE or dehydrated meal is fine with me under most circumstances.

If she’s happy with the setup, you’ll camp more often. That’s what makes it worth bringing all that other stuff. Think of it as an investment into more nights in a tent.

Haven't broken a plastic latch yet.

If it does break I'm sure an email to Front Runner will get you some plastic ones.

If she’s happy with the setup, you’ll camp more often. That’s what makes it worth bringing all that other stuff. Think of it as an investment into more nights in a tent.

Brother you ain't lyin bout that.............

For nesting pans, we bought a set of Stansport stainless steel from Amazon. I'd used my aluminum backpacking stuff before, and when Deb last camped with me, it was assorted kitchen cast-offs. So the nesting set works much better in the Hiker trailer than either previous option. It has a very heavy bottom to easily moderate the temperature, and a nice removable handle. Only downside is a spare handle is a bit expensive. Sure, I can use my old aluminum gripper handle, but the included one is really nice. Deb says they are nicer than some of our home pots and pans!

Set from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2JKQ9Kd

Replacement handle: https://goo.gl/tP9S7W

These are now $63, but a couple of months ago they were $49, so watch for a good price.

I have a set of the GSI alu nesting ones, I like them a lot. Lids included, work great, and you can fit 4 plates and 3 cups inside them too.

High altitude cooking:

IMG_1253.JPG

HJxsbEmj4dh-pX7jCVTJCQSXv4ZWAIA1sFZ9bxp-mFrSD544Fpp_p_bpKqy7AliitDyG8zEVe-5TzDpRL2kkjfhx-jyorhtNuZDD9rhAdEG0LqrH8SqnMtUJPzmzwn6XGOOaPnJBfOgjRWeFqw3fUNs4Pt0uvqMs43X9aYBlCnMtlHq9EQLfMs7Pxmn_gkx2MDNwAnuZi7rqEe_3xp2EmhmPNho_Em__skAPVicvBquVowu1EwMbfaoyYQhK3mO1QKrm9IRTWgoNB5lz9WGZmxpQGSR9DMKS8CkgL6hu5BV65VXjr3kYN0OLrfxO8dRHQZCT3ab-FPmSg3V2aoF6wcG3iR1JPgamzcArtEQ-HOdQhFp-hxee2LvpAQswsDp-_HlPo1JY282dIlYUe4rHEEaMFWXx1Sb1fTk-WK5AGXewX79ZzZfV1dzLDt0vN-Rmho1V6KIjVuRKv2886tcjJsTyfCWOGESDzKgLlKcHkMzaSvxY4t62I-isSdGNEbN_M6eqzfEbFu-TnJPi5DyfgNAhwPC4O1oiJ5kacxyvruIOnT38RE2z8Sy9JszZve_Y1URhomJiW5MQ8PQOFfWkKMN3SOIFt3MK0P4JoHgOsMtTw_JNRfiazWzG0Hdy3tBCQgcHBON1U4Tt7PMzwZGjle0igAX6m46t0A=w600

My "toolbox on its side" chuckbox is under constant evolution, but is serving me well.
My kit is split into 3 basic groups:
  1. Dry goods box holds all the comestibles that aren't in the fridge.
  2. The chuckbox holds all the tools/equipment needed for big meal prep and cleanup. This includes one side-mount (propane) burner, hoses, collapsible sink, pots, knives, tools, etc.
  3. Coffee is kitted separately (aeropress, mugs, kettle, etc.) because I want to be able to make coffee inside the van (using the butane burner-in-a-drawer), or outside, or wherever, without needing to unload (or even bring) the chuckbox.
Other gear like Skottle, Dutch Oven tripod, firepot are rotated based on the planned menu and on-the-ground conditions (like fire restrictions). Plates and eating utensils are also stored separately in the van so that we can do cold lunches out of the fridge, etc. without having to bust open the chuckbox on the side of the road. I've written a whole blog post on why I moved away from my previous very compact kitchen in a box in favor of what seems to be an extravagantly bulky and heavy kitchen setup: Here, for those who are interested.

And, of course, there are Front Runner Wolf Packs.

I think I settled on those Wolf Packs. They look really nice, the kicker is they seem to be currently out of stock everywhere....Bah! I saw they also sell an extended height lid for them which looks nice for some oversized items. Do you have any experience with the cub pack? Mainly want to know in actual size how much smaller in comparison it really is?

I appreciate everyone's input and have started tossing around even more ideas in my mind because of it. One of the things I like about this forum is you get ideas from all over not just what your local buddies are doing. The other is you don't get the usual angry response of "Why don't you use the search feature" as is popular with many of the other national forums. Thanks guys!

I think I settled on those Wolf Packs. They look really nice, the kicker is they seem to be currently out of stock everywhere....Bah! I saw they also sell an extended height lid for them which looks nice for some oversized items. Do you have any experience with the cub pack? Mainly want to know in actual size how much smaller in comparison it really is?

I appreciate everyone's input and have started tossing around even more ideas in my mind because of it. One of the things I like about this forum is you get ideas from all over not just what your local buddies are doing. The other is you don't get the usual angry response of "Why don't you use the search feature" as is popular with many of the other national forums. Thanks guys!

Haven't used the cub pack. They are a little more than half the volume of the wolf packs.
cub pack = 17.3 x 12.4 x 8.3 = 1780.5 cu. in.
wolf pack = 20.1 x 15.8 x 9.1 = 2890 cu. in.

I think this is what powers most of the overlanding industry. If she's not happy, you ain't goin'. Better have all the comforts of home stashed somewhere in your vehicle.

Cam

Back
Top Bottom