Travel kitchen ideas

Celt II

Adventurist
I've been searching the site for some ideas but haven't really come up with anything so I thought I would ask for some help. I'm trying to get my camp kitchen whittled down to about the size of an action packer box. Currently were always going back and forth with having far too much anyway re-packing for each trip. Some of the hurdles I have is I have a wife and when she goes well, so does the kitchen sink. If it's just me, a few cans of soup, P-38, spoon and MSR stove or even a MRE or two works just fine. In my younger years I did a lot of mountaineering so everything was carried in a backpack but as times change and I would like to have the kitchen set up and just have to grab it from the garage before I leave.

What would be nice is a box that can fit in the back of a Jeep/Xterra that I can lash down and not have to worry too much about. I mostly prefer to go out rock crawling so weight is always an issue but still enjoy finding a camp site and staying put for a couple days. Our main sources to cook with are the single burner MSR a coleman two burner stove or a dutch oven. We generally do not take them both. Obviously the oven and stove wouldn't go into the box. What we normally include are utensils, dried goods, coffee, salt, pepper, hot sauce, paper plates, small coffee pot, trash bags, paper towel roll etc. This is more for some examples for what my wife would like to make her happy and have more organization so any suggestions especially pictures would be greatly appreciated. We both have done a lot of camping but want to see what some other folks are doing.

The box well.... to each his own. A thousand choices. I don’t care for the Action Packers too much because there’s a lot of wasted space with the slanted walls etc. But, they’re light and inexpensive.

FrontRunner makes an outstanding kitchen utensil roll that solves everything right down to the cutting board. Light and compact.

D5B6E510-AD20-4A54-AC6D-4DF5C5180640.jpeg

Get yourself a good set of nesting pots and pans from REI, Snow Peak etc. Add the stove of your choice and you’re good to go. I like to use all lightweight titanium stuff when possible because of the durability and space/weight savings over “house grade” pots and pans.

44D92F5B-A130-4EA9-B42F-79EC94E41B86.jpeg

Back to the box. I just sold my FWC so my “interim” Camp kitchen is similar to what I describe above plus my Lodge Dutch oven. It all fits in a GI surplus Pelican footlocker. Grab and go. Watertight and critter proof up to about bear level :lol

1B9B1423-1387-48C6-971A-7F47FB9779EB.jpeg

Speaking of bears. This box can be hoisted up into a tree if/when in bear country ;)

I am using a Blue Ridge Overland Gear Oil Bag, Partner Steel Stove Bag, (they make one for the Camp Chef Everest) and their Cooking Kit Bag as my base with various BROG attachments.

Of course residual cooking grease or oil on the inside of the oil bag isn't much of a problem and cleans up easily.
IMG_20171121_195223215.jpg

Spices, etc are in the pouches of the Cooking Kit Bag.
IMG_20171121_194610213.jpg

Clean up is in the pouch (Trash is covered by a Trasharoo). The Molle bag has my coffee. GSI grinder. etc. Water Bottle Pouch for the french press when it's available again.
IMG_20180610_111346.jpg

UST 20-02735 FlexWare Sink, Tactical, 2.25-Gallon, Orange, Signaling (Replaces USGI VS17/GVX Signal Panel Marker, NSN: 8345-00-174-6865)

• 8.5-liter collapsible sink takes up minimal space when packed or stored; great for cleaning dishes, carrying gear, firewood, small ordnance and more
    • Dual handles for easy carrying as a basket; sturdy, plastic rim and base for added stability
    • Measures 15 x 11.4 x 5.9 inches when fully expanded; collapses down for easy storage
    • Weighs 19.7 ounces; backed by two-year manufacturer's limited warranty
    • Made of thermoplastic rubber (TPR); BPA-free and dishwasher safe
    • NAWC Certified for use with all Naval Aircraft
    • MAGTF Expeditionary Certified
    • Marks forward line of troops, personal hygiene, and serving canapes in crew-served weapon fighting positions
Available on Amazon Prime, $16.99
41wNRHnOpdL.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that there is wasted space with them and that's part of my gripe with them too. I do like they are relatively secure and easily lashed down. I've been looking at https://jet.com/product/Plano-Moldi...w9oWtS7c8vhkIc1uEDJNM94XOq1r_PQMaAt-GEALw_wcB I wish I could get it a little smaller though.

Straight wall containers. Available at Grainger, Zoro, Amazon, McMaster, etc. are a good option if you don't need a lid.

BUCKHORN Straight Wall Container, Gray, 14-1/2"H x 24"L x 15"W, 1EA

Z01Oy_fo5oy.JPG

Last edited:
And, of course, there are Front Runner Wolf Packs.

I used to use a Pelican that I could put everything in but it made taking only the parts I needed for short trips a PITA. I'd have a mostly empty container or I'd have to find another container. Also maneuvering the Pelican through the FJ's suicide doors was another PITA. Eventually I modularized and ended up with Wolf Packs and the BROG bags.

I did buy 2 straight wall containers and used them for a bit before going to the BROG bags. They are now helping organize camping equipment in the garage. Anything that rolls up into something like a tent bag is dropped in vertically and pulled out as needed.

And, of course, there are Front Runner Wolf Packs.

I like that idea a lot and am going to look into them for sure. I need something that' sturdy and with a lid. I have used the nylon milk cartons for years and they are super nice but dust gets over everything (I don't care but the wife does). They lash down really nicely and are stackable but with an open top stuff can go flying out. I thought about fabricating some form of lid for them but abandoned that idea because it would be more work than worth.

I like that idea a lot and am going to look into them for sure. I need something that' sturdy and with a lid. I have used the nylon milk cartons for years and they are super nice but dust gets over everything (I don't care but the wife does). They lash down really nicely and are stackable but with an open top stuff can go flying out. I thought about fabricating some form of lid for them but abandoned that idea because it would be more work than worth.

You can get lids for them if you order from uline.com but from them you have to order a min of 3. At that point you're not really saving anything vs. the Wolf Packs and the Wolf Packs have better lids and tie down points. You'll also have to pay for shipping ordering from Uline as well. Considering you may find a deal for Wolf Packs w/ free shipping the straight wall containers are the more expensive option.

I still point them out anyway because Wolf Packs may not work for everyone and the straight wall containers offer a wider variety of sizes that are all meant to stack together.

HD_190.jpg

I don't think you'll go wrong with Wolf Packs. A single Wolf Pack has been my kitchen for 4 years now and could accommodate a second person easily. Bacon and scrambled eggs. Smoked sausage and rice jambalaya. You are not cooking fajitas with it but you are not starving.

Unless you really want fajitas. Then replace the JetBoil Sumo and spare gas canister with stuff for a Skottle or Moje Griddle.

IMG_20180610_182548.jpg
IMG_20180610_184719.jpg

Get yourself a good set of nesting pots and pans from REI, Snow Peak etc.

^^^This.

There is no way I could fit all this into the Wolf Pack if I didn't nest items.

You may want to read the thread What does your kitchen consist of...? too.

I have my entire kitchen including a single burner propane stove in this box from home depot. The tool tray is nice for a sharp knife, lighter, telescoping hot dog stick and other small items. I have 3 nesting pot/pans, 2 plates, 2 bowls, , sierra cup, silverware roll, cutting board, etc. The box is water proof and very strong. If it doesn't fit in the box, it does not go. I usually only cook for myself or two.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
^^^ I have one of those, and three of the same-sized "milk crates" and the 6" tall box. Nice thing about them is that they latch together. I use the open crate for non-perishable food. Fits snugly between my fridge slide and fender liner, so I don't have to strap it down unless off road.

(Side note: I was a product designer at RIDGID for 30 years, designing the professional plumbing tools. Almost nothing that Home Depot sells with the RIDGID name on it is made/designed by the Ridge Tool Company. Emerson, the parent company, just slapped our name on products and sells them through Home Depot when the Sears tool business went away.)

We use a Rigid box for our camp kitchen as well. All of our cooking and serving ware rest within as well seasoning pack and other sundry items. Our Cadac Safari Grill does not fit in the Rigid Box but our Ultralight burners do.

We use a Rigid box for our camp kitchen as well. All of our cooking and serving ware rest within as well seasoning pack and other sundry items. Our Cadac Safari Grill does not fit in the Rigid Box but our Ultralight burners do.

I had no idea what a Cadac Safari Grill was until I google-fu'd it. That's a pretty interesting setup there. If you don't mind posting can you put some pro's/con's about it? It looks like you can cook about three hamburgers or so on it? Does it still work well in cold temps, wind and altitude?

Propane SUCKS at altitude and in real cold. Literally. IsoButane is far more efficient.

I agree with you at altitude and real cold temps they don't work very well. I really like the versatility from what I see with that stove. Seems like two people could eat easily using it. If a guy could get a similar setup and be able to use the MSR canisters with it you would really be in business. I still really like my Coleman multi fuel 2 burner which has never failed me but it does take up room. My little single burner multi fuels really shine when it gets cold or altitude but it's difficult if not impossible cooking for several people so everyone can eat together.

My little single burner multi fuels really shine when it gets cold or altitude but it's difficult if not impossible cooking for several people so everyone can eat together.

The Snow Peak Giga Power Li stove. The only single burner you’ll ever need. Ready to cook for any group. In any weather.

C74FB853-A6A1-4C0A-AB6F-8F1B03866F0A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom