The Ultimate Adventure Report

When your daughter takes a week off work and says she wants to go camping/fishing the only reasonable thing to do is request the week off and oblige immediately! The beginning of the week had us taking care of errands around town and then we loaded the truck and struck out for our normal stomping grounds around the Tallulah River outside of Tate City GA.

On the way up with stopped at Popcorn overlook to take in a view that, while familiar, never grows old.

1624899492571.png

This overlook is actually recommended as one of the best spots in North Georgia for stargazing given it's distance from any major town / light pollution. I have yet to get up here to use it for that purpose.

The sun was just starting to dip below the hills as we drove down Tallulah River road toward the campgrounds. It made for nice lightning on the river.

1624899635288.png

In a sign of the times the first two campgrounds along the road (Tallulah River Campground and Tate Branch) were both completely full of a mixture of tent campers and large RV's with generators humming away. This would become a theme during our trip unfortunately. We proceeded to the furthest campground out, Sandy Bottoms, and found we had the place to ourselves for the night! We picked a prime site on the river and setup hammocks and the Guide Gear tent.

1624899814399.png

1624899830619.png

1624899848761.png

We spent some time tracking down dry wood for a fire and after processing it had an evening of cooking and father / daughter bonding while discussing the world.

The next morning we packed up camp as other campers rolled in. It was evident this campground would not be ours alone for a second night. We decided we'd spend the morning fishing and then push further north into North Carolina. The weather forecast had been for slightly overcast skies in the morning giving way to sun in the afternoon. That wasn't quite right as it rained on us for most of the morning as we unsuccessfully drowned bait in the river. Wet from the rain and without a fish to show for it we jumped in the truck and headed toward Clayton GA. Just outside of Clayton we stopped to check out Warwoman Dell and the Warwoman WMA.

We took in the history of the place and made a short hike down to a waterfall that was slightly visible from the road and then completely obscured by mountain laurel after we hiked down to it. We did find some nice cascades though and had a good time. While hiking in this area I noticed a tent setup with a tarp for a rain fly. As we came back up from the waterfall we were approached by the inhabitant of the tent. He was a scruffy looking fellow who was obviously living long term out here in the WMA. He suggested that we see another water fall and gave us directions. His directions would have led us deeper into the woods along the river where no visible trail was present and put us roughly 1/2 a mile from the road / truck. It would have also put him and his tent between us and the truck. Keeping the river between us and this gentleman I thanked him for his directions and kept a close eye on him as he headed back to his tent. We then made the river crossing a circled back to the truck. He might have been a perfectly nice fella and had positive intentions but I wasn't going to take the chance. The whole encounter just felt off.

1624900556440.png

1624900574381.png

1624900589305.png

1624900604466.png

1624900616618.png

1624900632367.png

1624900643501.png

1624900666051.png

1624900678152.png

After reading that last sign I wanted to do some follow up research on stocking rivers by carrying fish in packs. I found that it's still done throughout the US in many remote areas. Nearby in Red River Gorge volunteers take on the task of carrying fish in backpacks miles into the backcountry to stock rivers. Very cool and something I might look into doing at some point. I'd love to find more information on the packs they used back then for this purpose.

1624900865225.png

Prior to hitting North Carolina we stopped at Black Rock Mountain State Park. I've driven by this place hundreds of times, but have never visited. Now we can say we checked it off the list. The park features several overlooks offering long distance views in the right weather.

1624901072572.png

1624901089585.png

The weather was just starting to clear at this point and the clouds were blowing out quickly.

1624901190649.png

We continued up the mountain to the visitors center at the summit and watched the weather role out to reveal views of Clayton GA. In a matter of minutes we went from views like this:

1624901260767.png

to this:

1624901281082.png

Very cool to watch the weather break that fast. We decided to try camping here and went over to explore the campground. What we discovered was that it was full, with only a couple of sites available for a single night. All of them were right on top of other campsites filled again with RV's and generators. Yuck.

We skipped the campground and instead did a short but strenuous hike down to Ada-hi Falls. The signs at the trailhead indicated some serious slopes...what they should have mentioned instead were the hundreds of stairs.

1624901437136.png

There's no getting lost on this trail. It's all stairs and a single lane right down the side of the mountain to the base of the "falls".

1624901475477.png

1624901492562.png

Carrying the materials needed to build these stairs down the sheer side of this mountain must have been an adventure the first time around. Ultimately though you make it to the base of the falls that, while pretty, weren't nearly as impressive to me as the engineering and manpower it took to install the stairs. If you happen to be in the area I can only recommend this hike if you go right after a rain like we did. Outside of that there's probably only a trickle of water coming down this rock face.

1624901606966.png

1624901624156.png

After that we headed back to the truck and drove over to checkout Black Rock lake.

1624901686243.png

1624901698724.png

After that I didn't take any other pictures. We spent the remainder of the trip in NC in the Nantahala Wilderness where we found more full campgrounds. Even the primitive campgrounds way out in the forest had diesel trucks pulling Airstreams in them. Unreal. Luckily there was no one (except a lone coyote) in the dispersed sites deeper into the forest.

We spent the remainder of the trip in NC in the Nantahala Wilderness where we found more full campgrounds. Even the primitive campgrounds way out in the forest had diesel trucks pulling Airstreams in them. Unreal. Luckily there was no one (except a lone coyote) in the dispersed sites deeper into the forest.

This has been my experience these last few years exploring the Midwest and the Southeast including Texas.

Campgrounds full or signed as such. Hard to find a place to camp on long trips unless you plan way in advance with the spontaneity killing “online reservation” game. Difficult to get away from other people and be at peace. It’s a big wake up call for some of the things I took for granted west of the Rockies.

This has been my experience these last few years exploring the Midwest and the Southeast including Texas.

Campgrounds full or signed as such. Hard to find a place to camp on long trips unless you plan way in advance with the spontaneity killing “online reservation” game. Difficult to get away from other people and be at peace. It’s a big wake up call for some of the things I took for granted west of the Rockies.

I'm headed to Colorado in a couple weeks and have been unable to reserve sites anywhere. I'm going to rely solely on BLM and National Forest dispersed camping.

Then there's things like this: link

Screenshot_20210703-203356_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, for me, “reservations” is not exploring. For me, exploring is ending up in different places each night, mostly by chance. Booking in advance just feels like work, and there’s no room for the spontaneity I crave.

The fact that NPS locations are at capacity like Disneyland tells me all I need to know. I’ll take random BLM land or USFS yellow post areas over that.

All of my best trips have been point and go in a general region anyway and NOT in state or national parks. YMMV

:)

Yeah, for me, “reservations” is not exploring. For me, exploring is ending up in different places each night, mostly by chance. Booking in advance just feels like work, and there’s no room for the spontaneity I crave.

The fact that NPS locations are at capacity like Disneyland tells me all I need to know. I’ll take random BLM land or USFS yellow post areas over that.

All of my best trips have been point and go in a general region anyway and NOT in state or national parks. YMMV

:)

I'm on board with that. My best trips out west began with "where does that road go? "

That being said there were some specific hikes/campsites in RMNP I was interested in for this trip that it doesn't look like I'll be able to touch due to crowds. I fear that too many places will soon be loved to death. My plan at this point is to head west when I'm done in Denver and not stop until I don't see another person.

Well the Colorado plans got changed at the last moment. My work schedule demanded a trip to Texas and then a detour up to Arkansas so I had to pivot a bit. After a run out I20 from Atlanta to Texas we made our way up toward the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas. Arriving in the area late we opted for the convenience of camping in Devils Den State park on night one. Devils Den State park featured a number of buildings and features constructed by the CCC and had a number of hiking trails with interesting water features. Things would be really impressive here during the wetter spring months.

1627828375394.png

1627828388702.png

Minerals suspended in the water here give the streams and slow moving sections of rivers a blue color.

1627828441768.png

1627828462542.png

Many of the trails we hit in the Ozarks appeared to be creek beds. During heavy rainfall there were signs that many of the paths would indeed be underwater.

1627828526539.png

I have a thing for old stone walls. One day I'll own property lined with these...

1627828559068.png

The water level in most of the rivers and creeks were quite low exposing large expanses of stone that had been worn smooth over the years.

1627828605860.png

1627828618976.png

While hiking one trail we were greeted by an odd noise that I can only compare to the growl of a large cat. It turned out it was a couple of vultures arguing in a tree. I'm not sure if they were fighting over the branch they were on, but the one on the left kept sticking his wing out and pushing the one on the right. They were hilarious to watch for a few minutes.

1627828761642.png

This hike ended at a large pool with a few cascades of water. When the river is up this is probably quite the sight.

1627828822176.png

1627828839440.png

Wildlife was quite abundant on the hikes in AR. Besides the vultures we saw deer, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks and a couple of snakes.

Further east in the National Forest we did some hiking that wound along cliffs and interesting rock formations.

1627828940664.png

1627828953358.png

Dispersed camping sites littered the forest, and primitive campgrounds maintained by the FS were not uncommon. The heat and humidity made some of the hikes like walking through a sauna, and we decided that spring or fall would probably be the ideal times of the year to visit the Ozark National Forest. After a few days we headed south toward another area we'd never explored, the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama.

The Bankhead national forest was similar to the Ozarks in that there were plenty of dispersed camping opportunities. The difference was the topography and flora. The Ozarks had miles of endless forests while the Bankhead is the land of 1000 waterfalls. Any direction we picked while hiking we'd end up tripping over waterfalls. It was incredible.

1627829197800.png

Millennia of water flowing through the area has created unique rock formations and the hikes here are like something out of Tolkien.

1627829360935.png

1627829372172.png

1627829390421.png

1627829409996.png

1627829425974.png

1627829448149.png

1627829458347.png

The Bankhead NF seems of offer an endless opportunity for hiking and exploring. We've already made plans to return in the fall. It's an incredible place.

Remember how I was supposed to visit Colorado last week? Guess I was just off by a few days. Spent some time hiking in the hills outside Ft. Collins CO this afternoon. Possible road trip to San Diego is in the works for later this week.

Weather was perfect this afternoon. Knocked out a 4 mile hike in a little over an hour this afternoon in Hewlett Gulch.

20210804_140436.jpg
20210804_140752.jpg
20210804_140934.jpg
20210804_142145.jpg
20210804_143407.jpg
20210804_144749.jpg
20210804_145106.jpg
20210804_145125.jpg
20210804_150045.jpg
20210804_150228.jpg
20210804_151523.jpg

Smoke and haze didn't clear until I hit the California border after passing through Vegas. Saw a Ford Maverick on I15 coming out of Vegas. Certainly smaller than my Tacoma but not as tiny as I thought it would be. Made it to Barstow from Ft. Collins CO this morning. On to San Diego tomorrow.

Yeah, who wants to be jetting about when you can be traveling the same 11 mile stretch of winter covered road everyday. Every freaking day.

Over and over…

Never ending familiarity and anti skid crusted blandness….

I used to sail out of Long Beach all the time. Ah, the good ol' days.

Back then, there wasn't an In-N-Out. But, there was a local cafe called Russell's - which (according to the local news human interest stories) had the BEST burgers in LA. Not that I tried all of them, but Russell's were really good.

I assume Fed Ex will be delivering my In-N-Out tomorrow?

I used to sail out of Long Beach all the time. Ah, the good ol' days.

Back then, there wasn't an In-N-Out. But, there was a local cafe called Russell's - which (according to the local news human interest stories) had the BEST burgers in LA. Not that I tried all of them, but Russell's were really good.

I assume Fed Ex will be delivering my In-N-Out tomorrow?

Sorry due to supply chain issues your In-N-Out has been indefinitely delayed.

Back
Top Bottom