The Chainsaw Thread

My wife wanted a chainsaw!

It's probably so she can dispose of my body easier, but so what. It's an excuse to go buy a chainsaw.

But she doesn't like my Stihl, and wanted an electric one.

Batteries have come a long way in the last few years. I have a bunch of Dewalt 20v and some 60v stuff, so I took the plunge on a Dewalt 60v chainsaw. I already have a couple spare 60v batteries, so I figured it was worth a shot. No muss, no fuss, no question ever as to whether it will start. I have a 12v charger for the car, but the 60v batteries take forever on it. Probably better to get a 400W inverter and run the high-speed charger if you're mobile. Like the newer gas saws, you don't need a scrench to adjust or change the chain. All you need is bar oil and a battery.

It's not a production saw, and it looks like a big yellow toy. But it's got plenty of power for light work, it's fast, it's quiet, it doesn't beat you up. The erie thing is that it you aren't cutting, its not running, so there is no noise at all. We had a few trees down in the yard after the freak Atlanta snow storm. We limbed and bucked two 12" trees on a single battery and still had half a charge left. Filled up my fullsize, longbed pickup twice hauling it off.

Think of it as the M1 Carbine of chainsaws. If you look at it as an alternative to a Garand (gas powered saw), then it sux, but if you look at it as an alternative to a 1911 (hand saw), then it starts to make a lot of sense.

The jury is still out on how long it will last, but for a homeowner cleaning up the yard, brushing blinds or cleaning shooting lanes, or to throw in the truck when on a trail ride, it is tough to beat. I don't think I would want one as my only saw, but now that I have one, the Stihl is going to get a lot less use.

As mentioned above. Get some training or you will hurt yourself.

Last edited:
*Dirty secret: patiently waiting and praying for a Milwaukee M18 powered chainsaw...

:D

Hurricane season is upon us so I pulled the trigger on a Stihl.

Are you ready if your exits are all blocked?

B506E778-EEEB-440D-814B-E26A39DF90EE.jpeg

I’ve seen it in person. Tempting, but at about $400 it was that or the Stihl. Needed a 24 inch bar first, maybe I’ll pick up the 16 inch bar Milwaukee later for stealthy use ;)

Very handy for Ninja Lumberjacks with blacked out chainsaws and flannel shirts.

Hurricane season is upon us so I pulled the trigger on a Stihl.

Are you ready if your exits are all blocked?

View attachment 46568
Nice saw. I have the same model for my light duty saw and it’s been a good little work horse. Change out the factory bar and blade for a better pitch combo once that factory one wears out and it will be even better.

The 044, 066 and the 081 are held in reserve for serious work. ;)

My Husky saws always leak bar oil. I have never seen a saw that does not leak bar oil a little. The trick is to use a molded bottom case. I put a rag in the bottom of the box. The goofy square/modular boxes with removable chain covers always leak. I can fit the saw, a small MSR fuel bottle, quart of bar oil, wrench, and spare chain all in the box so it is ready to go for jeep or atv rides.

View attachment 35537

I used hazardous material shipping bottles to carry premeasured engine and gear oil on the Ural. You can do the same for the engine oil. Mark the side or the bottle with a sharpie the amount of oil for a correct gas : oil ratio in the MSR bottle.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shipping-bottles/=6e67921cca134ea69d5efe9f8e35b366k05jb0kc

Back
Top Bottom