The Chainsaw Thread

After Tropical Storm Irma hit us here in Northeast Ga, that was impetus enough for the accountant to approve buying a new chainsaw. We killed our last saw a couple years ago. It didn't take much to show the cost/benefit of a new saw vs. paying the tree service.

I caught the local dealer before they even opened on Monday. Their computers were down, but cash is king and a handwritten receipt on a scrap of computer paper works for me. Gotta love small town businesses. I ended up with a Stihl MS251 Wood Boss, in no small part because of this thread.

That's a NICE saw! Good call :cool:

I heated my house for ~24 years by cutting wood with a husky saw. It had an 18" bar, I don't remember the model, but that thing was great. It would always start and would run on any half-assed mix of old gas. The muffler got loose and it over heated the cylinder resulting in piston failure. Probably my fault. It cut at least 300 cords of wood, plus all the extra yard work stuff. I replaced it with a Husky 455 Rancher/20in bar. The new saw has been great too.

I have a husky 346xp that is over 15 years old. It hasn't seen any use since moving up here to PA, so after sitting in the shed for two years I pulled it out and dumped the old gas on my favorite weed. Filled the tank back up and it started on the third pull. Trimmed some shrubs and put it back in the shed. I look forward to cutting wood with it again.

-Andy

I only own chain saw I like & use are Husqvarna's, IMO they are the saw that keeps on running & keeps on eating wood. I cut wood all year round on my farm. The only other saw I would have besides a Husqvarna is Shindaiwa. I have 2 of their older saws, 330 & 757

11903951_893495354032673_7200242417704767560_n.jpg

016.JPG

019.JPG

After reading this thread (And seeing the grisly pics.) I am so freaking glad I live in the desert. Sure I can break down and wither away but I won't be in a. "Chainsaw accidents thread." as the one legged/armed/half a faced Overlander.

Be safe with that saw you guys.

You should see the Hi Lift accidents photos... or the car accidents.... ;)
Most chainsaw mishaps (as with any tool or machine) are due to operator error/inexperience and lack of maintenance on said tool/machine.
Just my .02

both my Husky's do not have any problem starting in cold mornings or taking them out of winterized, whether its my 455 20 " or my 61 Rancher 24". You shouldn't be so sloppy with the bar oil Dave. ;) My Kaw Mule & the snow bear trailer (cutting wood) doesn't show signs of bar oil in the bed & I cut firewood in the unGodly Arkansas summers with the humidity extremely high & both Husky's don't leak bar oil.

both my Husky's do not have any problem starting in cold mornings or taking them out of winterized, whether its my 455 20 " or my 61 Rancher 24". You shouldn't be so sloppy with the bar oil Dave. ;) My Kaw Mule & the snow bear trailer (cutting wood) doesn't show signs of bar oil in the bed & I cut firewood in the unGodly Arkansas summers with the humidity extremely high & both Husky's don't leak bar oil.

I've had two Husky's one was a BIG saw for felling large fir/spruce/hemlock/cedar up in the PNW (36 inch bar). It was a tank, probably because it was a real Husky made in Sweden. The smaller made in USA Husky I had was crap and it would hemorrhage all of it's bar oil just sitting in the truck (out of the oiler itself not the cap). Hated that saw and went back to a Stihl ever since.

My Husky saws always leak bar oil. I have never seen a saw that does not leak bar oil a little. The trick is to use a molded bottom case. I put a rag in the bottom of the box. The goofy square/modular boxes with removable chain covers always leak. I can fit the saw, a small MSR fuel bottle, quart of bar oil, wrench, and spare chain all in the box so it is ready to go for jeep or atv rides.

case.PNG

Last edited:
you do not drain your bar oil after use? Maybe that's why I never seen mine leak.

I was a logger. Imagine the look on the hook tender’s face as we dumped out perfectly good bar oil at the sound of the quittin’ whistle... or the yarder engineer’s face as we screwed the pooch filling up bar oil with a turn sitting on the landing...

Standard operating procedure was a sharpened saw with full tank of gas and full tank of bar oil at the end of the day so that you could log at first light the next day. Saws were life.

I was a logger. Imagine the look on the hook tender’s face as we dumped out perfectly good bar oil at the sound of the quittin’ whistle... or the yarder engineer’s face as we screwed the pooch filling up bar oil with a turn sitting on the landing...

Lol, that would get the Old Man's dander up for damn sure. "What the HELL are you doing' boy!"

Dave said:
Standard operating procedure was a sharpened saw with full tank of gas and full tank of bar oil at the end of the day so that you could log at first light the next day. Saws were life.

A saw that isn't ready to go is just wasting time.

Back
Top Bottom