So where do you go when you have to go?

I have heard that when taking antibiotics, you should eat yogurt to replenish the good bacteria(s) that your system needs.

Dave, can you put tp in this thing or do you have to pack it out separate?

I'll answer since I'm also a Thetford user - TP is fine. You dump these directly into a toilet, so if the toilet can handle it, you're good to go. Thetford generally recommends "septic safe TP", (the kind that breaks down more easily in water), which is a smart move if you'll be dumping on the road and can't be sure of the capabilities of the system you're dumping into. For our use, we normally do shorter trips and dump in the loo at home, so our normal "house paper" gets used most of the time.

Concur with Herbie. Have never had an issue with the home toilet dump. If there is an out house in the vicinity, I'll dump it in that before I leave if convenient.

I'll answer since I'm also a Thetford user - TP is fine. You dump these directly into a toilet, so if the toilet can handle it, you're good to go. Thetford generally recommends "septic safe TP", (the kind that breaks down more easily in water), which is a smart move if you'll be dumping on the road and can't be sure of the capabilities of the system you're dumping into. For our use, we normally do shorter trips and dump in the loo at home, so our normal "house paper" gets used most of the time.

+1

If there is an out house in the vicinity, I'll dump it in that before I leave if convenient.

Same here. Outhouses make it easier to empty quickly. Every time I have to use my own toilet it turns into a bit longer process.

What exactly are wag bags made of, are they biodegradable, and can they be disposed into a vault toilet? Or is that a big no-no for the septic people? I was gonna just use tall kitchen garbage bags but I believe that would be no good for mr septic guy. I don't envy his job.

Wag bags need to be disposed of in the trash. They are sealed double thick plastic or mylar. They come with poo tickets and a wipey pad, with absorbent powder in the inside. The inner bag seals, then the outer bag. Fully contained and pretty "leak" proof. Not reusable, and cannot be pumped.

I've used the WAG bags extensively in country. We always put them in the burn pit. Better than using a half of a 55 gallon drum, but you still should stay upwind. I don't think that will fly here in the civilized world.

I liked the solution enough that I purchased a WAG bag setup that I put in my annex when I'm out. Used bags go in the trash bag in my trasharoo and into my garbage can when I get home.

One of my friends, a Marine claims to have gotten some illness from having dealt with burning barrels of diesel and poo while he was serving in Afganistan and Iraq. Anyone else ever heard of this before? He was also in the initial attack on Fulluja.

Hi Woody!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 91
Performing a little thread necromancy here just to pass along some possibly useful repair info.

I know there are several folks on this forum who have the Porta Potti Curve from Thetford. I'm not able to fit one into my van, but wish I could. That said, I've discovered two problems that have been plaguing some Curve owners that are potentially a big issue if they happen mid-trip, but can be easily rectified if you know what to look at (and one issue is an opportunity for a little preventative maintenance/improvement)

Apparently many folks have a problem of "can hear flush pump running, but no water flowing". There are two issues, in short:
  1. The connection from motor shaft to impeller is apparently suspect. The pump can be removed and the impeller might be reinstalled. (Text description of the fix in the thread below)
  2. The corrugated hose can become disconnected from the pump's discharge nozzle. This is a friction-fit only and the tube may split causing it to fall off. Proactive installation of a zip-tie or hose clamp would be a good idea.
Lots of good pictures and description here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15692

I had to give this some serious thought, since the last few outdoor campers I had were self contain (my Nash 5th wheel & Lance truck camper). Going to an Overland Trailer the convenience of actual self contained for the purpose of 10-100 like I said I had to do some serious thought for the wife. The privacy 2 room tent wasn't a problem since we both liked the brand we chosen. The toilet was the issue...I'm a good size feller 6'2" 256lbs & at the age I am I notice my momentum isn't what it once was in my younger days. Toilet height is what my main objective & portability is another need I was wanting. After 2 months of search I ended up purchasing the Ironman Bush Toilet. The height is taller than a standard home toilet by a few inches, compact, foldable makes it easy for storage for my trailer. Plus the tip on the TP storage was great. They mention how to remove the center core & place the roll in a qt. size zip loc bag for protecting the TP & you pull the TP from the center much like Kleenex. Them Aussie's are pretty smart overlanders.

002.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom