So where do you go when you have to go?

100acre

Adventurist
Some people dig a hole, some find a nice log, but in this modern day and age when camping among our fellow adventure enthusiasts, one must adhere to quality, courtesy, and good sanitation practices when in the bush. So my question is what do you pack with you on your long trips into the hinterboonies? Do you lug a Porta Potty, a Thetford, or a five gallon bucket with a Luggable Loo? Where does one go when one has to poo? Besides a shower, how do you keep your spouses happy with some of the more modern comforts while away from home? What is your preferred mode of commode?

Last edited:
Bucket with a seat for wag bags and a Pahque TePee. It is not the most affordable enclosure, but it is the only one I have never seen blow over. http://pahaque.com/prodTepee_v4.asp

paha-que-grey-aluminum-portable-shower-tent-2.jpg

I don't normally defecate, but when I do I use a Reliance Luggable Loo seat cover, Double Doodie waste bags, and Cabella 6 gallon bucket (the added height over the 5 gal bucket makes it more comfortable).

Stay regular my friends.

I don't normally defecate, but when I do I use a Reliance Luggable Loo seat cover, Double Doodie waste bags, and Cabella 6 gallon bucket (the added height over the 5 gal bucket makes it more comfortable).

Stay regular my friends.

:keyboard

Dan, see my FlipPac thread. Our Thetford ensures relaxation.

http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?46-Dave-s-AT-FlipPac-Thread/page4

Researching RV toilets, the Thetford 135 is a solid choice for a compact unit, but the newer 550P holds more and features a piston driven flush vice the older bellows style.

4 gallons of fresh water, 5.5 gallon holding tank. Pour out spout can be used to drain anywhere. Super simple, reliable, and perfect for a family on the go. $137.10 with free shipping via Amazon as of 8/31/14

Last edited:
Get off trail & outta sight, dig a cat hole and just do it. Then bury. It isn't rocket science.

You must be joking since we're supporters and partners with TreadLightly. But you are correct that it isn't rocket science... it's actually health and environmental science.

I know gastro-intestinal emergencies happen and it's great to have the knowledge on how to successfully squat and handle solid waste in a field environment but we're in a country of 360 million. NPS figures collected last year indicate that they had over 282 million people visit National Parks and that growth continues. What if those guests all did the same thing as you suggest?

Having been in countries that had no concept of hygiene, public health, or waste disposal I've seen what that strategy delivers - death and disability. But that's not the case in this country - even rocket scientists agree - cavalier, self-centered, disrespectful attitudes are what are closing the recreational spaces we have access to today.

See - this is why I know you must be joking... otherwise you would never have said that on this forum knowing what we stand for. :D

Get off trail & outta sight, dig a cat hole and just do it. Then bury. It isn't rocket science.
I can't do that at one of the expo's. Other wise we'd be calling them expoo's besides if you had a reoccurring theme of race to the outhouse written by Willie Makit and illustrated by Betty Wont. Some may not have time to dig a cat hole. I've been suffering as of late with a gluten intolerance and digging a hole just ain't a possibility.

Porta potti when using the truck/camper to travel, PETT toilet and outhouse tent when using the Jeep to travel.

I do love our Thetford in the van. Very comfortable and convenient, and emptying is a snap.

I'm on record several places saying the smallest model #135 has a BARELY big enough tank for a family of 2 adults + 1 kid for 2-3 days. If you have the space for a bigger unit, I recommend you opt for that. In another incarnation, or if we ever move away from the van, I'd be doing a privy tent and a wag-bag system since that scales better with the # of people and length of journey.

A tread lightly note: wag bags preferred, and if you cat hole, check the recommended depth. In most terrain, 6 inches down, but in certain desert environs, 4 inches, otherwise it will never decompose. I almost always pack it out when truck camping, and cat hole when hiking. I also burn my poo tickets so there isn't a bunch of paper waste (exception: fire danger areas)

You must be joking since we're supporters and partners with TreadLightly. But you are correct that it isn't rocket science... it's actually health and environmental science.

I know gastro-intestinal emergencies happen and it's great to have the knowledge on how to successfully squat and handle solid waste in a field environment but we're in a country of 360 million. NPS figures collected last year indicate that they had over 282 million people visit National Parks and that growth continues. What if those guests all did the same thing as you suggest?

Having been in countries that had no concept of hygiene, public health, or waste disposal I've seen what that strategy delivers - death and disability. But that's not the case in this country - even rocket scientists agree - cavalier, self-centered, disrespectful attitudes are what are closing the recreational spaces we have access to today.

See - this is why I know you must be joking... otherwise you would never have said that on this forum knowing what we stand for. :D

:tread

This is a joke, right?

Remember what happens to Spider Lake on the Rubicon... "cat holes" can quickly turn into "shit and TP everywhere" and ruins areas for others. I'm all about packing out what I pack in.

I guess I havent experienced that level of use. That would be a problem, though in most areas of more backcountry type I've been in, there isnt the number of people to cause that level of problem.

I looked at the Treadlightly site, they recommend catholes when other facilities arent available, as does the National Parks site.

The comments about population from the post I quoted may be an issue in some places. I havent been to them though, as well as most people are quite happy to use the developed facilities available around the most visited areas and attractions.

I guess I havent experienced that level of use. That would be a problem, though in most areas of more backcountry type I've been in, there isnt the number of people to cause that level of problem.

I looked at the Treadlightly site, they recommend catholes when other facilities arent available, as does the National Parks site.

The comments about population from the post I quoted may be an issue in some places. I havent been to them though, as well as most people are quite happy to use the developed facilities available around the most visited areas and attractions.

It is a big problem here in So Cal with the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forest which have the largest urban interfaces of any national forest. Popular areas quickly become areas to avoid

I use the Reliance Fold-n-Go folding toilet with a WAG bag. Works great and keeps the ladies (wife and daughters) in my adventure life happy and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom