Recovery Gear: Ongoing Discussion and Reviews

17,600 would be the rating for pulley block with a 8,000 lb winch on a double line pull. I would consider retirement for that pulley.

-Andy

Dirt has already been taken care of ;) seriously no markings on the thing, it came with my 12k winch so I'm sure its safe but would be nice to know the rating.

Seems to be the generic block that most manufacturers include. Looking at the website its an 8 Ton Snatch Block – 17,600 lbs Capacity

If you notice your ARB has the rating clearly marked on it, the generic appears to not be clearly marked or rated. For safety alone I wouldn't use the generic block. The gearing on sheaf although now blended out could still cause damage to your new synthetic winch line when loaded and stressed. A second block is a great tool to have but at what cost, damage to equipment or injuries?

Welp... call me a curmudgeon but I'm going to say that if a pulley block is not clearly marked with a WLL (working load limit), I don't trust it.

That said, in certain situations it's certainly an advantage to have two pulley blocks.

Well the generic pulley cleaned up nice, pretty sure I'll keep it up as a spare.

The impression appears to have been in the softer coating on the spool.

Should open up a lot of winching scenarios now.

I feel the winch I have is likely overrated compared to its actual performance. However I'm aware that you're only as strong as your weakest link.

For example the other items I have:

Factor 55 Flat link:
Max load rating : 16,000 pound
Ultimate failure : greater than 40,000 pound

3/4" Shackles:
WLL 9,500 Lbs

I'd polish the pulley and throw it in my possible's box...if you're following my thread "A new beginning" that would be one of the things headed for the enclosed trailer/storage shed.

Looks like you've had some use on that one, in 20 years or so of off roading, I've used a snatch block exactly once...and only because I had recently purchased one then. Then again, that's why I have to replace winch cables time to time...generally when I or one of my buddies needs a winch we need a winch right NOW, no time to mess around setting up the perfect pull.

But every overlander's dream is to pull off the perfect pull! I mean I'm sure I'll be doing a double directional pull frequently! Truth be told I still have not needed my winch for an actual recovery situation. But I plan on making my way into more snow/mud territory in the future where it should be more useful than the open desert.

Last edited:
B0B1404D-2D38-4902-9EDF-981265637E3C.jpeg
You never know when your going to need a lot of gear... this was this weekend, literally just put a wheel in the wrong place and the bank collapsed, doesn’t look too bad in. This one but he was stuck and in an unsafe spot.. the red truck is acting as a safety and the white D90 had a line going to a tree on the driver’s front side, we had to angle the pull...after we pulled him back a bit, also not seen is my truck strapped to the red d90, since he was sliding when pulling.. it was raining when I took this shot and it started snowing right after.. good times...

Last edited:
View attachment 38263 You never know when your going to need a lot of gear... this was this weekend, literally just put a wheel in the wrong place and the bank collapsed, doesn’t look too bad in. This one but he was stuck and in an unsafe spot.. the red truck is acting as a safety and the white D90 had a line going to a tree on the driver’s front side, we had to angle the pull...after we pulled him back a bit, also not seen is my truck strapped to the red d90, since he was sliding when pulling.. it was raining when I took this shot and it started snowing right after.. good times...

Thanks for posting that! Looks like a great recovery in progress there.

Front shot.. the winch from the White D90 is just stabilizing the truck and acting as an anchor... the Red D90 is pulling from behind via a redirect, to get it off the tree (did not touch luckily), then we respositioned the front line for the side pull to another anchor point that was not 90 degrees..
Interesting extraction for sure

5079B935-6949-4323-822D-A98F634099BA.jpeg

I am in the market for a couple of 3/4" screw pin shackles. I am thinking Crosby or CM.

My question is, where is a good place to purchase them? I know Amazon carries them, but Amazon has a problem with counterfeit products (I have not heard of any counterfeit shackles) and I am not willing to take the risk.

I am in the market for a couple of 3/4" screw pin shackles. I am thinking Crosby or CM.

My question is, where is a good place to purchase them? I know Amazon carries them, but Amazon has a problem with counterfeit products (I have not heard of any counterfeit shackles) and I am not willing to take the risk.
I buy all of my stuff from the same place we get our rigging gear for work. VER Sales in Burbank Ca They specialize in overhead rigging and supply most of the entertainment industry

https://www.versales.com/

I have a Ramsey snatch block (that I have had for many years), designed for use with steel cable.

Can I use it with synthetic line if I meticulously smooth the groove in the pulley? It is not in bad shape now, but I wonder if the irregular surface will damage synthetic line.

Back
Top Bottom