Recovery Gear: Ongoing Discussion and Reviews

An interesting question, and one which could lead to much useful discussion (and maybe a few fist fights:)) here.

We should probably start by asking if you will be traveling solo or as part of a group? A kinetic yanker strap is probably going to be as useless to the solo traveler as a set of jumper cables instead of a charged jumper pack.

Doing my part to build the knowledge base. I might not have the answers, but I certainly have the questions.

To your point about solo vs. a group, that is exactly the kind of thing that a beginner needs to consider. I think this thread has a lot of potential for someone doing their due diligence by researching from knowledgable sources.

@TangoBlue @Dave, what priority would you place on certain gear? That is, if a fellow is just getting into this and wants to maximize the efficiency of their investment, in what order would you buy gear - shackles, straps, kinetic ropes, winch, synthetic lines or extensions, hi-lift, etc? The 3/4" shackle is the industry standard, but are there certain lengths of ropes or straps where someone should focus?

For example, it is tempting to think more is better and so a 30' rope is better than 20'. However, as we've seen in this thread, a 20' rope or strap might be better in the eastern states b/c of tight spaces in forests. Investing in that 30' Bubba rope might not be the best use of one's money if a 20' strap would see more use.

As your thirst for exploration grows, your recovery kit expands proportionally to your experience.

One of the best attributes of AA is the wealth of knowledge available to users/subscribers...this thread is a perfect example.

My only advice (as I'm learning boat loads here too) is to exercise patience when acquiring gear, and be prepared (literally and figuratively) to make changes as your needs adapt.

Back to lurk mode...

:coffee

The #1 piece of recovery gear, everyone NEEDS to have is a shovel. Big... small... doesn't matter. Smaller takes more time and that should be consideration, but bigger isn't always better. I use a military entrenching tool (E-Tool) personally. It has the benefit of being able to be used as a pick and packs away small. Combined with my other equipment, I should never need to dig for too long, so the size is no worry.

6109ZQpwFiL._SL1260_.jpg

@TangoBlue @Dave, what priority would you place on certain gear? That is, if a fellow is just getting into this and wants to maximize the efficiency of their investment, in what order would you buy gear - shackles, straps, kinetic ropes, winch, synthetic lines or extensions, hi-lift, etc? The 3/4" shackle is the industry standard, but are there certain lengths of ropes or straps where someone should focus?

For example, it is tempting to think more is better and so a 30' rope is better than 20'. However, as we've seen in this thread, a 20' rope or strap might be better in the eastern states b/c of tight spaces in forests. Investing in that 30' Bubba rope might not be the best use of one's money if a 20' strap would see more use.
My "other job" to keep me out of the house per spousal demand, is working at a Land Cruiser restoration and off-road vehicle fabrication shop. We have several proprietary products we sell to include some recovery items. Often I counsel customers, many who are novices, that have just paid for an expensive upgrade to their OHV and only have a modest amount to spend on their recovery kit.

As a basic kit to get them on (or off) the trail safely I recommend a minimum of 2, 3/4-inch screw-pin steel bow shackles, or a combination of steel and soft shackle; a 3-inch wide by 20-foot long polyester tow strap with twin end eyelets, folded and twisted; and an anchoring or "tree" strap that is also made of polyester, at least 3-inch by 10 to 15 foot length. (Polyester can stretch up to 3%, Nylon can stretch from 8 to 10%)

We only sell Columbus McKennon - the 3/4-inch screw-pin bow shackle WLL is 6.5 tons, exceed performance requirements of RR-C-271, and have a 6:1 design factor. Also powder coated bright orange for easy identification. This American company has been making products in the US for over 140 years for the Overhead Crane & Hoist Industry.

Our recovery strap manufacturer is also an American company that has been producing slings for nearly 40 years for the Overhead Crane & Hoist Industry. They use 100% American-made materials and their products meet or exceed industry standards.

For example, the shackle we sell meet and exceeds the same standards of the Crosby version but at much less cost. Our recovery straps are often half the cost of many others but are made with the same materials and often with superior features like Kevlar-lined chafe guards on the eyelets and strap-edge abrasion guard thread for longevity and durability.

My point in introducing you to these manufacturers is that you can get quality, USA made products at much lower prices than some of the popular "brand names" out there which are frequently endorsed by "personalities" that often receive a little "tea money" on the side. They really aren't that much more in cost than those bottom-dollar products offered by other low-priced, foreign produced, product re-sellers.

I also mention to these novice OHV owners that the most important piece of recovery kit they already have available to them is what is located between their ears. I've had folks spend $20K in bolt-ons for their bolt-ons and had no concept on how to drive their vehicle off-highway. Worse, some didn't see the need for it. We call these people "job security."

Training is the most cost-effective recovery gear you can purchase. For as little as $250.00 you can get 8 hours of didactic and laboratory time behind the wheel. For your investment, that training actually increases on it's own as you gain in experience and often seek out more information to expand the foundation of training you invested in. Even the most "seasoned" of "wheelers" I've known to get formal training by a Certified Trainer has left commenting that they had no idea that there was so much more to what they thought they already knew.

These are just the "get you out the door" after the big-ticket item purchase @Twin Magnolias, should that new owner get stuck that weekend trying out the new kit they bought. There are many items @Dave or I would recommend as you advance in desire to go further and seek more challenges. Remember, you can't eat an elephant all at one sitting, but you can do it over time with smaller meals.

Last edited:
The #1 piece of recovery gear, everyone NEEDS to have is a shovel. Big... small... doesn't matter. Smaller takes more time and that should be consideration, but bigger isn't always better. I use a military entrenching tool (E-Tool) personally. It has the benefit of being able to be used as a pick and packs away small. Combined with my other equipment, I should never need to dig for too long, so the size is no worry.

6109ZQpwFiL._SL1260_.jpg
I call BS. He's a Marine, he's tight with his money, he never turned it back into Supply, and one of his buddies wrote it off on his hand receipt. :D

6109ZQpwFiL._SL1260_.jpg
IIRC the old school E Tool has a picking point opposite the shovel spade.
Funny E Tool story.... when I was a nugget and the Marine Corps was still fun... we had a guy who was a bit of a slob, SO the Sgt Major made him live in a shelter half out in front of the barracks. he made a cat hole toilet and stuck the E Tool in the ground next to it with the handle set at 90 degrees to use as a toilet seat.....

Warn 10k synthetic winch
Warn recovery kit
2 20' nylon strap
8' 3/4 chain
3.5 ton come along
Hi lift
8 ton bottle jack
Shovel
Pry bar, wood blocks, misc shackles etc. etc.

And enough memory and knowledge to know better not to get stuck. Spent WAY too many nights and days stuck waiting on a rescue.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

People who travel solo should have a winch. People who only go out in groups don't really need to spend the money on one.

Overland Journal did a review of recovery gear sometime back in 09 or 10. For a vehicle WITH a winch, they recommended the following BASIC kit:

2 or 3 bow shackles
a tree/rigging strap
a pulley rated for TWICE the power of the winch
a winch line damper
a full size shovel
a kinetic yanker strap/rope

Optional extras for the more ADVANCED kit:

additional bow shackles
a second pulley
a second tree/rigging strap
a 60 to 70 foot winch line extension
a PullPal

That didn't take long.

Come chase the NORRA Mexican 1000 with us, I'll show you how we adapt what we have to get the job done. :eek: Not many trees down there to make your stake system picket line.

Oh, and thanks to Dave for taking/posting the picture!

Not even heavy equipment was enough to save what used to be a Ram Cummins that got stuck in the San Felipe mud flats.

2016baja500%20015_zpsjvkifjqn.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things I like about Factor 55 is that they test their gear to destruction (independent testing). Here's a good shot of several manufacturers gear about to be tested. This is why you always want quality gear with a clearly marked WLL!

IMG_5517.jpg

Those red and yellow Skookum shackles are $$$$$!!!

:crazy

That's why (IMHO) an in cab winch control is a plus.. especially for us solo traveling folks...
ARB-Winch Switches.jpg

Also, when I had my Jeep, my hi lift and pull pal were mounted inside the vehicle and could be accessed from any angle (soft top).

Until you use it you don't know. I did a recovery this week on pismo. It was a family in a new ford transit the others had tried and broke straps. The gear I have is twice my vans weight and worked great. I did get a lecture that I should air down and yes I should have but I decided to create a black cloud and pull. 20+ pounds of boost is awesome power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom