Old School photos

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
My father in law is a long time offroader, camper, and photographer. He used to write for Desert Magazine back in the day and has thousands of photos around. He has started posting a few of them on facebook, and I have really enjoyed checking them out. Got me thinking, I know there are some Old Guys around here (I'm looking at you Bob) that probably have a ton of photos from back in the day and I want to see them. He gave me permission to post them up here to get things started. The following photos are from Gary Moore

no location given for this one, this is Gary's jeep and his buddy Bucks hemi powered weapons carrier
Gary Offroad 2.jpg

Los Olivos Baja
Gary Offroad 4.jpg

Railroad Pass Colorado
Gary Offroad 6.jpg

"That's my newly acquired military trailer being towed by my broken down jeep, being towed by a British Military Austin Champ. Circa 1965. Notice we all had tow bars permanently mounted to our bumpers."
Gary Offroad.jpg

This is his current rig a couple years ago out near Razor Road in Mojave
Gary Offroad 3.jpg

But he still has the CJ5 that he bought new as his first car, and is in the process of a frame off restoration, hopefully be done by the end of the year.
Gary Offroad 5.jpg

Very cool! Digging the whitewalls! That pic of Railroad Pass looks treacherous!:wow

Looking at the pics again, we need more of whatever that is in the other garage! It looks like it might be chopped a bit?

Looking at the pics again, we need more of whatever that is in the other garage! It looks like it might be chopped a bit?
It is a 40 something Dodge, can't remember the exact year. Don't have many photos of it

db3168b301ebd042ccd9d3725c3505ca.jpg

0de6de6116979a38efa08f8841021120.jpg

8be6461a050bd0465f9e60f134742fc2.jpg

dac97e28a605e9e2f69bb21c33d0b89f.jpg

Now I am going to need you to share some old photos to get us on track Bob

he won best of show in a Havasu car show with it. It had a type 3 pancake and a flat bead for camping gear and coolewr in the back.
1601224_10202440142278697_1529671658_n.jpg

We did a run from Havasu to prescott all in the dirt one year ( I might have been 14) with the buggy and I was on a bike. we did get detained in chino valley and the LE let me ride the street to the hotel behind them while the others needed to get loaded in trucks. it was great because I got to sleep in and fix wheels while they had to get out of town. might be a fun trip to recreate. the only issue is the big sandy wash and if it has water we will need a recovery. I would love to find that car and get it back.

We did a run from Havasu to prescott all in the dirt one year ( I might have been 14) with the buggy and I was on a bike. we did get detained in chino valley and the LE let me ride the street to the hotel behind them while the others needed to get loaded in trucks. it was great because I got to sleep in and fix wheels while they had to get out of town. might be a fun trip to recreate. the only issue is the big sandy wash and if it has water we will need a recovery.

When do we go?

When do we go?

Ok I'll pull maps and get it started. I know the first camp just south of havasu to start from. Then its Alamo valley east

This was done with pretty fast vehicles so it might take a couple days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Dad was in the Marines back in the 70's, some pics I found in a box of his stuff I got a few years back. I don't know when or where these were taken, but some cool military jeeps!

This is a fantastic thread...I'll dig through the family photos and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for sharing...that dune buggy is beautiful! Is that a Funco chassis, or Hi Jumper?

This is about as old school as I get as far as off roading is concerned.

Here is a photo of me from around 2003 (high school) with my very first dirtbike.
I worked the summer of 2002 to save up money to buy a bike.

The bike, a 1993 DR350s! It was glorious!

I believe this photo was taken somewhere in Johnson Valley CA

(Left, my DR350s, Right, my buddies DR650se)

This is about as old school as I get as far as off roading is concerned.

Here is a photo of me from around 2003 (high school) with my very first dirtbike.
I worked the summer of 2002 to save up money to buy a bike.

The bike, a 1993 DR350s! It was glorious!

I believe this photo was taken somewhere in Johnson Valley CA

(Left, my DR350s, Right, my buddies DR650se)

You rode DR's? Very cool Steve, I was a CRF guy...had a trail 230 and 150...always wanted to "upgrade" to a real trail bike, hence the DR envy. Great picture, nice to know we share a common dirt bike passion!

:moto

This thread has been quiet for a few months... leave it up to the FNG to bump it :)

A picture of me next to my old man's K5. I suppose you could say it's in my blood.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately east coast rust and trail damage saw the Blazer off before I even had a crack at it. There were others, but I'll always remember this one.

PICT0040.JPG
PICT0039.JPG

Digging through my old junk found some pics of my 1963 Dodge WM300 bought from San Diego Gas and Electric for 913 dollars and 13 cents at sealed bid sale in 1975. Photos taken on trip to Black Mountain fire lookout tower in 1975. Truck and tower long gone now, should of kept truck people pay lots of money for these things now. I remember it was the slowest, roughest riding, rattly bang thing ever made. Sold it to buy WC6 command car that I still own.

Back
Top Bottom