Northeast Rendezvous?

Bodhisattva05X

Adventurist
This is just a thought that I am vocalizing. But there are two AAV RV events on the West Coast. Why arent there two on the East Coast? I am using the Northeast as just as an example. If one was held in the Northeast, we could possibly bring more members to the board, get more people involved in the lifestyle, and get people to open their eyes and see what's in their back yard. Not to mention maybe some people would visit an area they would have otherwise written off.

Now, I am just using Maine to further this example, and because I have spent a lot of time in the state taking part in all kinds of activities. I have spent hours upon hours planning trips to the state, there is so much to do and see up there its mind boggling. But for instance, there is a vast amount of land that is unincorporated and provides for incredible back country camping. A well documented network of dirt roads, two tracks and trails that will appeal to all. There is an incredible amount of opportunity for adventure sports, calm and white water kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, mountain climbing (Mt Katahdin). And I could spend hours talking about all the other things to see and do.

Just a thought. If its sh*t, then oh well, ignore me.

Why? Because there is only so much time available to the principles here to plan, organize and than staff events. While we would like nothing better than to spend our time travelling about and hosting these events we do have real lives that take precedent over the funner parts of our lives. Bills need paid, kids need college funds, work needs done to finance the time we can grab to go play. Remember that AAV was not developed to be a commercial enterprise but a forum aimed at returning a sense of community into the overlanding and adventure realm. I don't think folks truly comprehend the amount of work and time it takes to hold these events and Kudos to Dave for bearing the largest burden upon his shoulders. With our small handful of staff members, and that bulk of those being Cali-folk, we simply do not have the manpower to host multiple events here in the East. Also it is difficult to find a place to hold events that offers a back-country experience, a wide range of adventure activities while being unsaddled with over whelming regulations. permits and conditions.

That being said don't be surprised that someday you might see a Rendezvous event somewhere else along the Eastern mountain range of the Appalachians. Appalachia covers a vast area and there's no reason that an event has to stay anchored to one spot for eternity. But for now we're still finding our footing and need to focus on what we can do and not on what we dream about doing.

Why are you taking this as a personal attack or that I am shaming anyone for the lack of a Northeast Rendezvous? It was a simple question that I was hoping would spark an idea and eventually turn into something. Do you think that I dont realize that we all need to work to pay for what we do? I work 50 to 70 hour weeks, in a busy city based EMS system to pay for this lifestyle. I completely understand, stress, family, financial, and educational obligations. But sometimes, if someone doesn't speak up, things may never happen.

I also realize that the forum was made to bring us together and not a revenue source. But isnt that what the Rendezvous are about? Bringing us together in person and actually taking part in a common interest? Sharing experiences, seeing new places, and seeking adventure? Why we spend so many hours at work week in and week out?

So AAV staff is primarily West Coast based. If we really are the community we claim to be, we can reach out to others within for assistance. I know planning something the size of a Rendezvous is a great undertaking, but it all starts with an idea, an idea becomes a plan, and a plan acted upon becomes a reality.

I didn't think Haggis's response sounded like he took it as an attack... he was pointing out the answers to your question:
1. He pointed out that unlike the non-AAV events, these are not for profit, put on 100% by volunteers (Expo whatever are for profit, paid staff)
2. He answered the why, with 2 events on the west and one on the east, they are out of time

We all would love another east event, but there are several other Northeast events. VOT and Exploring NH both have fun events.

Why are you taking this as a personal attack or that I am shaming anyone for the lack of a Northeast Rendezvous? It was a simple question that I was hoping would spark an idea and eventually turn into something. Do you think that I dont realize that we all need to work to pay for what we do? I work 50 to 70 hour weeks, in a busy city based EMS system to pay for this lifestyle. I completely understand, stress, family, financial, and educational obligations. But sometimes, if someone doesn't speak up, things may never happen.

I also realize that the forum was made to bring us together and not a revenue source. But isnt that what the Rendezvous are about? Bringing us together in person and actually taking part in a common interest? Sharing experiences, seeing new places, and seeking adventure? Why we spend so many hours at work week in and week out?

So AAV staff is primarily West Coast based. If we really are the community we claim to be, we can reach out to others within for assistance. I know planning something the size of a Rendezvous is a great undertaking, but it all starts with an idea, an idea becomes a plan, and a plan acted upon becomes a reality.

I don't believe he's attacking you or being critical of your observation. Please consider if you two were face-to-face Haggis's reply would be the same but you would percieve it entirely differently - thus the tragedy of communicating on the internet. Written words often do not convey the other non-verbal cues you would have had, had you been speaking directly. He wasn't talking down to you - just illustrating all the complicating factors for other readers of your post who probably have wondered the same thing. Mark's a pretty nice guy and a stalwart member of this community - just plain spoken which is a valued commodity here. As a reminder Mark closed with this statement...

That being said don't be surprised that someday you might see a Rendezvous event somewhere else along the Eastern mountain range of the Appalachians. Appalachia covers a vast area and there's no reason that an event has to stay anchored to one spot for eternity. But for now we're still finding our footing and need to focus on what we can do and not on what we dream about doing.

We have discussed the potential for other venues and the competition is keen without stepping on another group's plans. To add to the event list mentioned earlier NorthEast Overland's "Moose on the Loose" event which several East coast AAV members will be attending. It would be extremely poor form to compete with one of those establiched events, but that's not to say we can't partner with one of them to develop something.

Ultimately, it does start with a plan, like the one Dave and several others of us hatched a couple years ago for a lame-brained scheme for an Appalachian Rendezvous. Yes, maybe we can hook up with another group and conduct another event in another region of the US in the future. Would you like to participate and help develop a strategy? We'd welcome your ideas and participation, plus if you live near this proposed location your logistics support will be critical. If I'm not mistaken the Appalachians start in Maine and end in Georgia - that's a lot of real estate.

I'm not sure what the hub-bub is all about...seems like my response was a fairly straight forward answer. I'm not sure where you're seeing any angst in that post, but hey...whatever. Please don't read more into any of my posts than what you see. Like Tim said, I'm a pretty straight forward person and I'll tell ya like it is whether it is what ya want to hear or not.

And while we probably won't have a northeast event anytime soon one of the things we are trying to do is to inspire/encourage folks to follow our example and host regional community events (meet and greets, trail rides, float trips and other adventure journeys) of their own to spread the fun of these hobbies. Please don't wait for us to lead you (and this is a "you" in the general sense ie "everybody reading this") but offer up a idea, plan an event, get out there and have glorious adventures, make lifelong friends and start an Event that will last through the years. We'll be there to cheer you on, offer insight to help anybody plan and hopefully get to share some of the adventure also.

I know planning something the size of a Rendezvous is a great undertaking, but it all starts with an idea, an idea becomes a plan, and a plan acted upon becomes a reality.

First off, let me say that I'm glad that you joined us here - we really enjoy your feed on InstaGram and respect the fact that you're out there "walking the walk" - it really shines through in your photos and we look forward to your contributions and trip reports here.

Secondly, you nailed it in the above quote. This entire Community was founded on an idea that became a plan that is a reality now. Five years of Rendezvous events, and now on BOTH coasts, that spawned a vibrant Community Forum with an educated, engaged membership and social media feeds across the spectrum that inspire and bring us all together.

We're doing good for a ragtag group of expats and misfits from all over America who eschewed the disingenuous, elitist attitudes we found elsewhere.

But we've only just begun.

2016 could see an added event but it will be a LOT of work to get there and with everything we as a Community have on tap for 2015 the bandwidth, both time and financial, has to succeed for that to be an option. "Brilliance in the Basics" mentality has me convinced that we should not expand too rapidly and create a "bubble" that we cannot sustain. Right now there are demand signals from Texas, the Northeast and the great Pacific Northwest for Rendezvous events but we have to ensure sustainability of our current initiatives before we open up other fronts.

So how can Adventurists like you help? Get involved with the events that we are offering in 2015 and let's show the media and industry who we are as a Community of Adventurists. Attend the Appalachian, SoCal Mountain or SoCal Desert Rendezvous events. Volunteer to help us run the check in table, potluck or other tasks that arise at an event of this type. Help us spread the word and engage local Adventurists to join us here. The importance of contributing online, sharing stories and knowledge and inspiring other Adventurists to explore can't be over emphasized.

Thanks for taking the time to post and start this very important dialogue. It will take all of us to build this Community into what it could be :)

Alternate location for East Coast?

Perhaps we could consider having two different locations in alternating years instead of trying to have two separate East Coast rallies. Last year was the first time on the East Coast and returning to the same location this year makes sense. For 2016 I think it would be helpful to discuss the possibility of moving north. Yes it would take a lot of planning. But starting the discussion now and soliciting ideas & helpers would be a first step. I like Maine; my wife is from West Bethel. Also a pre/post trip through the North Woods, Vermont, or even the Trans Labrador Highway might be of interest.

Jon
Aiken, SC

We love Maine too Jon - one of my favorite states :)

That said, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, there are already a few other groups with well run events already established in the East. We need to consider the 2nd and 3rd order effects of our actions if and when we do anything in the Mid-Atlantic to North Eastern Areas.

In regards to Appalachian Rendezvous, let me say publicly that our relationship with the COMMUNITY there in the Uwharrie/Eldorado area, much like our work on BLM lands and with the Boy Scouts in the West, is something we'd like to continue. Funds raised at Appalachian Rendezvous didn't go into our pockets, they funded a significant amount of desperately needed furniture upgrades for the Eldorado Community Center and I'm keen on continuing our community service in that economically depressed region.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better location, or better people, to deal with than UORTC. As a result, Uwharrie Off Road Training Center and the Eldorado Outpost have earned my gratitude and loyalty so in my mind the location of the Appalachian Rendezvous is enduring so long as it works for all of the principles here and in that community.

Combine that with our partnership and one weekend away scheduling with Overland Expo East and I'd say Appalachian Rendezvous is pretty well set for the foreseeable future. :)

Why? Because there is only so much time available to the principles here to plan, organize and than staff events. While we would like nothing better than to spend our time travelling about and hosting these events we do have real lives that take precedent over the funner parts of our lives. Bills need paid, kids need college funds, work needs done to finance the time we can grab to go play. Remember that AAV was not developed to be a commercial enterprise but a forum aimed at returning a sense of community into the overlanding and adventure realm. I don't think folks truly comprehend the amount of work and time it takes to hold these events and Kudos to Dave for bearing the largest burden upon his shoulders. With our small handful of staff members, and that bulk of those being Cali-folk, we simply do not have the manpower to host multiple events here in the East. Also it is difficult to find a place to hold events that offers a back-country experience, a wide range of adventure activities while being unsaddled with over whelming regulations. permits and conditions.

C'mn HAGGIS! Quit yer bitchin and plan the PA, NY, VT, NH or MAINE event!!!!! :)

C'mn HAGGIS! Quit yer bitchin and plan the PA, NY, VT, NH andMAINE event!!!!! :)

Fixed it for ya

Well looks like Dave's gonna have to put me on the payroll now. Call me tonight Dave and we'll discuss vacation days, 401Ks, health insurance. company vehicle (I'd like a Hilux please but a new Tacoma would work for now), profit sharing and all the other sundry perks the new Eastern Event Coordinator position deserves.

Boy, Tango is gonna be pissed, skipping over him for this position despite his seniority. :tango

Well looks like Dave's gonna have to put me on the payroll now. Call me tonight Dave and we'll discuss vacation days, 401Ks, health insurance. company vehicle (I'd like a Hilux please but a new Tacoma would work for now), profit sharing and all the other sundry perks the new Eastern Event Coordinator position deserves.

Boy, Tango is gonna be pissed, skipping over him for this position despite his seniority. :tango

Not at all Mark... "beauty before age."

We appreciate that you volunteered to lead this initiative. I'm looking forward to the event - have you selected a date yet? I need to pencil it in my calendar.

Looking forward to seeing some of the territory you're always bragging on!

We appreciate that you volunteered to lead this initiative. I'm looking forward to the event - have you selected a date yet? I need to pencil it in my calendar.

Looking forward to seeing some of the territory you're always bragging on!

I will get straight to work on it once Dave and American Adventurist Overlanding/Adventure Conglomerate Limited confirm my new payroll status and approve the necessary appropriations and funds for these events.

I'm thinking a two month event starting at the Maine/Canadian border at Calais and proceeding south through the Maine woods, New Hampshire landscapes, Vermont Class 4 roads, a straight run through the Adirondacks , than a jaunt through the big woods of central Pennsylvania, into the Monongahela National Forest of West Virginia, down through the Blue Ridge Parkway as we pass through Virginia and then into the western mountains of North Carolina to finally end up at the American Adventurist 2015 Appalachian Rendezvous. Along the way we'll run some trails, hike some paths, paddle some swift water, cook lots of food and be the cause of many shenanigans only to end up dirty, tired and totally stoked at ARV15. Now to go figure out the budget Dave needs to come up with for this little adventure...

- - - Updated - - -

Not crazy about the title. Try to work "command" or "commander" into the title.

Gotta be something military/tactical sounding to impress the kids....How about ESOPCOM...Eastern Sector Operations Commander?

I'll come (with Dave's sponsorship) - I will give my notice Monday!

Damn straight you will...we'll need a professional photographer to document the trip. How are you at video production? We should do a pay-per-view web series or documentary to help cover the costs.

After much discussion we've come to the conclusion that both Mark and Jay deserve the same generous AAV salaries that Dave and I receive, starting immediately. Lance Coconut JSC is at your disposal, just do not get him wet or feed him after midnight.

So get cracking on that plan. Chop-chop. Keep an eye on the mailbox for the check... :lol

Back
Top Bottom