Northeast Rendezvous?

I started a FWC Eastern group meet idea over on the Wander the West forums a couple weeks ago, maybe we can all get together somewhere for a slightly larger event...:)

Last edited:
How about Appalachian Rendezvous? I'd like to see everyone in this thread put their money where their mouths are and SHOW UP at ARV - great place to meet and put names with faces and talk about plans for 2016.

See you guys there :clang

How about Appalachian Rendezvous? I'd like to see everyone in this thread put their money where their mouths are and SHOW UP at ARV - great place to meet and put names with faces and talk about plans for 2016.

Now there's a thought!

I will be there this next time unless I'm dead, stuck under the ocean, in outer space or on Mt Everest. I didn't make it this last time due to work constraints which also helped me buy my FWC Hawk. Which I will need to show off at the AAAR because it will have these really awesome big AA stickers in the windows.:D

I will be there this next time unless I'm dead, stuck under the ocean, in outer space or on Mt Everest. I didn't make it this last time due to work constraints which also helped me buy my FWC Hawk. Which I will need to show off at the AAAR because it will have these really awesome big AA stickers in the windows.:D

Glad you liked your special edition decals! We take care of our East Coast Adventurists too! :thumbsup

And if anyone is wondering, you too can get some of our coveted American Adventurist swag by attending an event!

How about Appalachian Rendezvous? I'd like to see everyone in this thread put their money where their mouths are and SHOW UP at ARV...

Well, when money only lets you go so far, sometimes NC is a bit out of reach (which is why I've missed last year's event along with OEE). That said, I am going to try hard and make it this year though.

Well, when money only lets you go so far, sometimes NC is a bit out of reach (which is why I've missed last year's event along with OEE). That said, I am going to try hard and make it this year though.

2,490 miles from my door to Uwharrie - see you there!
:tent

Myself and Blkwgn_wyfee are headed east for this. Most likely flying, but trying to work out the vacation days for a quick drive.

On the calendar. Looking forward to making the trip to NC with a few other LMI from my local Jeep group.

Its nice to see the enthusiasm for a Northeast event, I just wish we had the time, money and personnel to make it possible. To those who would be interested in this, keep a weather eye out for an area that could be used at some future date. From experience it has to meet a few criteria for it to work when your a small forum or group, with no budget and limited free time.

Things to consider for any future adventure rally no matter where...

*Is there enough adventure opportunities in the area to draw people? We're adventurist after all and sitting in a farmer's field comparing stuff ain't our cup of tea. Its OK for about an hour, but than our Adventure ADD kicks in and we have to be out doing something fun. Trail rides, river runs, mountain bike trails...that's more of our style. How many activities are available for us to pursue?

*Is it free to use?...here's where the no budget comes in. If it's pay to play we we gots no monies so we don't get to play. It's that simple.

*Is there permits and waivers that are needed to use the area? Well not a problem at the ARV site as UORTC donates the site to us as a courtesy, Dave has to jump through massive hoops to get things squared away out West. It is a major investment in time and angst not to be wished on anybody. Those who question Dave's commitment need but spend a tenth of the time dealing with bureaucrats to fully appreciate all the personal sacrifice he makes to lead these events. I don't think the rest of the AAV crew fully understands all he does, so I would imagine it would be truly hard for those not involved in daily forum activities to see what all has to be done to make these things happen.

*Do we have trust worthy people to count on? Having the desire to do something is important but if we are going to put the forum's name on it we have to have solid, dependable people to lean on. We just cannot be everywhere and see everything and having to rely on those you barely know is hard sometimes. It's like having to have your third cousin uncle's nephew babysit your kid. Your pretty sure it would all be OK but you just don't know him well enough to actual do it. This is where your participation on the forum kicks in. An establish track record and a positive rapport with your fellow members and staff is critical here.

*How's the weather? Weather is important as nobody cares to spend a week in misery. And when your talking Northeast and the Maine big woods one has to consider black flies. You know, the ones that can fly off with a moose calf if they're feeling a bit feisty.

*How's your sense of Humor? Planning these things is hard and you run into roadblocks and criticism about constantly. You can't make everybody happy and some folks just look to be offended. You better be good at letting things roll off your back or it just isn't fun. Really, why take these things so earnestly...if it ain't fun why bother to do it? If you get mad, offended, frustrated or stressed out easily you're in for a world pf hurt. And that's just planning the damn thing, it's just as hard running it.

*Who else is having an event in the time frame and area you wish to have yours? Overlanding and adventure groups are popping up all over the place, each presenting their own events scattered about the place. It's in good taste and courtesy not to step on each others toes so keeping an eye on the calendar is critical. Do we really need an event in Location A if So_and_So Adventure League is already having one there? Why don't we just go and show support to them if we find them a good match for us? New friends and possibly making charitable alliances spring forth by simply helping another group out.

*Will the Sponsors be happy? Sponsors are important for bigger events as they provide the items for the raffles, some promotion for the event and some cache too. They need to know that they are getting something for their donations and seeing happy faces in scenic spots with their stuff being used is their reward.

*What charity or charitable act is the focus of the event? AAV events are bout community (they really are) and all money raised at an event goes to a good cause. But we want to make sure any donation is actually going to be used for it's intended purpose so finding a reputable organization or group is critical. Do your research well and fully disclose all charitable activities as openly as possible for full public disclosure.

Now that's just a start of what is need to hold one of these here shindigs and it can get way more complicated when you add a bunch of personalities and conflicting schedules. It's like herding butterflies sometimes. I would suggest if you do find a suitable spot to hold an event that you first organize a simple meet-n-greet or trial run to get a feel for the area before attempting the big show. Not only would that show that you're a leader in the community but its good practice too. Plus we would b able to get a feel for the area from your trip report and be inspired.

And even if you can pull all this off or help as much as possible there's still no guarantee that it will come to fruition as there just isn't enough time for us to do it all as sad as that may be.

Last edited:
Well said Haggis, I'm still in. Not interested in rushing into something, but believe we could build a NE event over time.

On the calendar. Looking forward to making the trip to NC with a few other LMI from my local Jeep group.

Well said Haggis, I'm still in. Not interested in rushing into something, but believe we could build a NE event over time.

Phoenix - Good. You're already signed up for an important job at ARV15.

Haggis - Good news. You're off latrine duty this year.

Seriously, if a trip to NC does happen for you in September 2016, we'll make every effort to attach you to someones hip for the event. Not all of it - you deserve to have fun too, and those latrines don't empty themselves, but we can make sure you get a chance to "dip you toe in the pond."

Phoenix - Good. You're already signed up for an important job at ARV15.

Haggis - Good news. You're off latrine duty this year.

Seriously, if a trip to NC does happen for you in September 2016, we'll make every effort to attach you to someones hip for the event. Not all of it - you deserve to have fun too, and those latrines don't empty themselves, but we can make sure you get a chance to "dip you toe in the pond."

Love to learn the ropes from those that have been there and done that. I'll be there for '15, got my list of people I'm now seeing on the second or third forum that I want to put a face to a name. Learned quite a bit from them over the last few years over the interwebz, would be interesting to see what I could learn around a campfire.

There are multiple ways to take care of a latrine, I'll check local ordinances prior to outlining my plan...

I built an out house for my eleventh grade art exam. I know how to build them, but the only way I can think to clean them is either blow them up or burn it down. Once I have my FWC Hawk I believe I will attend both the north and the south Rendezvous. And of course I'll bring my own private 5 gallon buckendoplasmatic spatial rectifier so no burning down of the public ones for me:lol

This is most certainly an event I would look into going to!

We hope to see you at the Appalachian Rendezvous in September! "Many hand make light work" if you want to contribute to shaping a "Northeast Rendezvous."

Having moved from NC to Massachusetts last fall, I'm making the trek to ARV. It is that much fun! Can't wait to see old friends and new alike!

That said, I'd be waaay up for a North Maine Woods Rendezvous! I can host rigs at my place north of Boston for a boondock layover on the way!

Back
Top Bottom