New 2019 Ford Ranger

I wonder how aluminum will fare in those conditions. Because contrary to popular belief, aluminum can and will corrode too.

I've seen both painted and Aluminum trailers degrade in the salt but not in the way steel does. More like a pocked and scarred result than the dreaded "rot". I'm hopefull the newer aluminum panels will hold up but I'm taking a wait and see stand on this. The galvantic reaction between dissimilar metals can get real bad when salt is added.

Dodges have been notorious for rotting, it's one of the reasons I jumped brands. The amount of salt we see in a year is ridiculous and the new calcium spray treatments are pure cancer to even treated metals.

Yeah, I was in shock went I started seeing 3 year old Rams with about 2-3" of metal missing from the edge of fenders up here.

Because contrary to popular belief, aluminum can and will corrode too.

Exactly! I doubt owners will cue in as much to the white powdery evidence it is corroding away.

Yup, Aluminum corrodes when exposed to salt environments... but we have many ships constructed with aluminum. Not to mention aircraft exposed to maritime environments. But the military seems to be getting 30-40 years of service life with attentive maintenance.

Wonder how those low voltage cathodic corrosion protection systems might apply on vehicles? Zinc-Chromate priming? Anodizing?

3406453059.jpg
1200px-LCAC-55_maneuvers_to_enter_the_well_deck.jpg

Attentive maintenance is right... about $15 billion annually. The struggle is real, but I will leave that talk for another time/place.

Attentive maintenance is right... about $15 billion annually. The struggle is real, but I will leave that talk for another time/place.
That's right... those Navy aircraft flown by Naval Aviators, commissioned as USMC officers, take a lot of Navy dollars to maintain that we've entrusted to the Marine Corps' care. You're doing a good job Staff Sergeant. Carry on. :lol

usmc-navy-crossed-flagges-m-10703.jpg

I used to be addicted to diet coke. I'd sit empties down in the woods behind the house when I was cutting fire wood. I still find them intact 20 plus years later. Stop raining on my parade! I want a f#%$#%$# aluminum body truck. LOL

I read today the Ranger payload is suppose to 1650 pounds. They didn't state if that was the 4X4 or what configuration.

Compare that to the 2018 Tacoma at 1620. That’s still not a lot considering that payload includes passengers etc.

I had a 79 Toyota pickup with a higher payload capacity than today’s offerings.

No doubt, its capacity is lowered by comfortable spring rates intended for the US market. Nobody is willing to drive a truck with a stiff ride anymore. Easier to pass the spring upgrade on to the consumer than get murdered in reviews.

No doubt, its capacity is lowered by comfortable spring rates intended for the US market. Nobody is willing to drive a truck with a stiff ride anymore. Easier to pass the spring upgrade on to the consumer than get murdered in reviews.

Exactly

People have become completely numb to the cost of new vehicles.

True statement. I know that as I've considered the new JL Rubicon diesel - the price on one is going to be about $60K (guessing) but that's the price of doing business these days.

New F350's are going for $100K :wow

People have become completely numb to the cost of new vehicles.

True statement. I know that as I've considered the new JL Rubicon diesel - the price on one is going to be about $60K (guessing) but that's the price of doing business these days.

New F350's are going for $100K :wow

No, no, no, I can get you down to $X a month, that's a great deal! No need to worry about that number at the bottom of the page.

New F350's are going for $100K:wow

I'd want to see more details on this new domestic market JL vehicle specs, i.e., axles, etc. The thing is, Jeep already has the recipe for success in the Egyptian produced J-8. It's an off-the-shelf product line... bring it to the US and introduce it to the US market. This isn't in the "too hard box".

I'd want to see more details on this new domestic market JL vehicle specs, i.e., axles, etc. The thing is, Jeep already has the recipe for success in the Egyptian produced J-8. It's an off-the-shelf product line... bring it to the US and introduce it to the US market. This isn't in the "too hard box".

The JL has a stronger frame than the J8 among other things and is actually quite a bit more advanced than the JK based J8.

JL Rubicon models get re-designed Dana 44 axles (thicker axle tubes and forgings) front and rear with 4.10 gearing, and a Rock-Trac transfer case with 4:1 low-range gearing and Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials front and rear. The front axle has an 8.26-inch ring gear and the rear uses a larger 8.66-inch unit.

The five-link front and rear suspension has been improved and brake discs are 12.9 inches front and rear. It has a tighter turning radius than the JK and comes with 33 inch BFG AT KO2's - and it can accept up to 35 inch tires without trimming or need for a lift.

8 speed auto has a crawl ratio of 77.2:1, and the D478 gearbox is still a six-speed but has a deeper 5.13:1 First gear ratio. That means a manual transmission JL Rubicon with 4.10 axle gears has a crawl ratio of 84:1. :wow

There's NOTHING else like it. Once Jeep’s Ecodiesel with 442 lb-ft of torque becomes available in 2019 (with fuel economy numbers well above 20 MPG in town) it may be time to #takemymoney

:coffee

Back
Top Bottom