New 2019 Ford Ranger

Bryanseye

Adventurist
Tacoma seems to be the standard, and the Colorado appears to be gaining some market share, so how will the Ranger's rebirth fit?

IMG_20180114_113847.jpg

I couple years ago I read a 3-vehicle review of the new Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, and Toyota Hilux conducted by a highly regarded Aussie Off-Road magazine.

BLUF: The Ford Ranger "owned" them all. I was impressed. IIRC they had an OCONUS diesel option too.

I think it's a product to seriously consider with the added off-road package. Potentially a OTS PAS. :D (I love acronyms)

I hate the "stupid options" for the 4 wheel drive systems in the newer vehicles...Jeep does it too in their SUV's...what the hell is "snow"?... AWD, 4WD with a viscous coupling in the tcase, 4WD locked tcase, etc...

I like it primarily for the size, just like the Colorado and just like my 1st generation Tundra. At my height, the new full size pick ups from every manufacturer are just too dang big. I cannot even see over the truck bed rails, which makes the bed so much less useful to me.
I agree with Bob that the fancy 4wd gadgets hold no appeal and seem so complicated and expensive to build I wonder why manufacturers don't have just a simple option with a dagonne lever for the transfer case...

I read that only the hood, fenders and tail gate are aluminum. Disappointing. Salt/rust has claimed my last three trucks long before the mechanics were shot. I'm in a 2014 Tundra now. No rust yet, but my next truck will be aluminum.

I read that only the hood, fenders and tail gate are aluminum. Disappointing. Salt/rust has claimed my last three trucks long before the mechanics were shot. I'm in a 2014 Tundra now. No rust yet, but my next truck will be aluminum.
Have you done any work to help preserve/extend the corrosion resistance of the frame and exposed under-body panels?

I’m doubtful we’ll ever see a true all aluminum truck (frame and all). Steel is a better choice for frames.

I've had my eye on this truck for a handful of years now. What @TangoBlue stated above about how it has been received by the Aussies was the same feedback I had heard as well. They like them down under, and that's saying something in a country that the majority of owners actually put them to hard use at some point. The only damper for me on the excitement surrounding its expected relaunch here in the US is the possibility of regulatory issues surrounding the future diesel powered model. You can refer to this thread for talk about that: Click. If something were to happen to my truck, I would explore this as a solid possibility.

I’m doubtful we’ll ever see a true all aluminum truck (frame and all). Steel is a better choice for frames.

Agree, I am thinking bed, bedsides, cab, cab corners, fenders. I have never had a frame rust though, but the body (especially the fords), just rust away here in PA.

Agree, I am thinking bed, bedsides, cab, cab corners, fenders. I have never had a frame rust though, but the body (especially the fords), just rust away here in PA.

Interesting. You’d think that they’d hot dip/galvanize those body panels like Dodge Ram does

Dodges have been notorious for rotting, it's one of the reasons I jumped brands. The amount of salt we see in a year is ridiculous and the new calcium spray treatments are pure cancer to even treated metals.

Dodges have been notorious for rotting, it's one of the reasons I jumped brands. The amount of salt we see in a year is ridiculous and the new calcium spray treatments are pure cancer to even treated metals.

I knew you’d jump on that :stir

I think that’s why they went to a hot dip process. But like you say, nothing stands up to the road sprays.

I wonder how aluminum will fare in those conditions. Because contrary to popular belief, aluminum can and will corrode too.

Back
Top Bottom