Meet SHERPAH, my Gladiator build...

The front seat area is pretty standard but we have installed a Kenwood Ham radio with remote head, Garmin InReach among other gear.
19EB91F0-2869-4811-9846-C01155AA19CC.jpeg

Moving to the back passenger side we see that the “pantry“
DADAB668-09FC-4159-A518-F1A9AEE55744.jpeg
holds my folding solar panel, the Front Runner cutlery set, a griddle and most of our cooking gear As well as our primary First Aid kit.

Last edited:
Moving to the tailgate area we have the magic space…
in looking at this picture at 12 o’clock and moving clockwise we see a table attached to the ceiling the along the right side is the fridge which can be accessed either off the back or right side without having to use any slides. In front of that is the 20# propane tank and the 100 AH BattleBorn lithium battery which is managed by the REDARC controller.
The custom drawer holds the cooktop, non perishable foods and other storage items. Sitting on top of the drawer is our propane fire grill, our RTT ladder and a dry bag that we will keep our laundry in.
Above the left side is the extra poles for the awning and a shovel. My fly rod could also go here.
9BB20B8E-4485-43E4-ACD9-9F74F265A31F.jpeg

If you were wondering in the picture above what was that stuff located to the left of the drawer well it’s our water supply. The lower valve is just gravity flow and the upper one goes through a 12 volt pump and offers a nice shower when you want one.

6DA578D0-846A-46A7-843E-30719E13E121.jpeg

Dave it was an option from Alu-Cab when I ordered the canopy. We used them on our trips in Africa and really liked how easy it was to access them, even with the rig fully loaded.
They Attach towards the front on the sides with a pair of carpet lined C Channels that have holes drilled in them to run bolts through.
The rear is secured by a latch and pin mechanism.

765D09DA-EBC5-4FE4-95F0-0B796606BC36.jpeg
C834B311-3BCE-438E-BCA8-9D3CBC5C4CFF.jpeg

Well there are always a few last minute items to add to the truck. in this case it’s a rear seat area attic. I was hoping to get one from my favorite source (BROG) but A. They didn’t have one for the JT and B the ones they had for the JL were out of stock…☹️

So I went on Amazon and got one and by adding a couple of fasteners like Dave used earlier I was able to make it work beautifully. It even has a built in pouch that we are using to store out road atlas. Above this space we will be storing hats and outer wear that we may need immediately…

D109643D-F422-4602-B2C3-3428A3615064.jpeg
85C5DB90-DFB2-4533-A33B-D36796112E66.jpeg

Sorry Dave I live in the boonies and don’t have a CAT scale anywhere near me. I did run over to my local concrete plant and weighed the truck and shared that weight above. Here is a poor picture if the total weight on that scale showing 6260#.

34BFE712-4146-4810-9E1B-F7B55AE182C4.jpeg

One other item that I forgot to mention is our Weboost we use for our cellular communication. As most of you know we can frequently find ourself out of normal cell phone range. The Weboost will not create a signal out of thin air but boost any existing signals. So when there is one bar of service we can boost it up to 3 and have useable cell service. This is particularly useful for those that need to work from the road.

We have a couple of antennas that we could use in the Jeep including the small magnetic one that came with the unit and their “Trucker’s Antenna” which is considerably larger but doesn't provide much more gain so we decided to use the smaller magnetic one. However, there isn’t any steel to attach the antenna to! I went to our local hardware store and found a 3”x4” piece of plate steel that was powder coated…perfect! We bolted that to our AluCab cross bars for a nice stealthy install. I ran the wire through the back window into the rear of the cab and attached the main unit to the back with some silicone rubber bands as it does get hot! I then ran the power and inside antenna under the rear platform to the onto passenger seat…
369D50B4-1CA4-484D-9D24-E81948644BE9.jpeg
94D9F326-A768-4B88-935D-E43C78B1511D.jpeg

It sure has been a while…

When we did our CO/UT trip last fall fully laden I notice that we had more sway with the RTT on than I would have liked. I ordered a Hellwig sway bar and after several months it came in. I took some time last weekend to switch it out with the original one. Overall it’s just a bit thicker but more importantly you can adjust the stiffness by moving the drop link attachment points. I’ll have to play with it a bit to find my sweet spot but this is what it looks like installed..
8B232FD4-74DF-4C3C-A723-24B8FEE5DD65.jpeg

It sure has been a while…

When we did our CO/UT trip last fall fully laden I notice that we had more sway with the RTT on than I would have liked. I ordered a Hellwig sway bar and after several months it came in. I took some time last weekend to switch it out with the original one. Overall it’s just a bit thicker but more importantly you can adjust the stiffness by moving the drop link attachment points. I’ll have to play with it a bit to find my sweet spot but this is what it looks like installed..View attachment 59837

Did one on mine, set the links to the max position. Pretty happy with it. The weak link (literally) is now the frame attachment points. I’ll be watching those for cracks.

Finished it!
I was able to install the BB battery in a nice snug area up against the front of the bed nestled in there with my water tank.
Tested the solar panel connection and the Redarc charge controller recognized it as well as the engine when it’s running.
Couldn’t be happier! Still have to clean up the wiring a bit but she works!View attachment 56783View attachment 56783View attachment 56784View attachment 56785
Nice work! Mining your thread for some ideas. Where did you go for chassis ground from your BCDC? I’m looking for a good location aft.

Nice work! Mining your thread for some ideas. Where did you go for chassis ground from your BCDC? I’m looking for a good location aft.
Sorry Jimmie we’ve spent the last 2 months selling and buying homes..been hectic.

I ran the ground for all the items that needed it to a common ground block and then through a hole in the bed to part of the right side frame rail shown here. I haven’t had any issues at all.

D85F2DEC-8ECD-442B-8A61-0777C83E1FE2.jpeg

HAPPY 4TH!
It’s been a while but things have been busy in the background..

In preparation for our next major upgrade (stay tuned!) my wife needed some assistance getting into the Jeep. I didn’t want to replace my Rubicon rock rails so I found the M.O.R.E hide a step..

https://www.extremeterrain.com/more-jeep-gladiator-hide-a-step-black-jlst18b.html

The step is easily removable just by pulling 2 pins (no tools required) in case we get into some sketchy area where we might rub.

Installation was pretty straight forward and it works as hoped for. Most importantly the boss is happy!

IMG_1162.jpeg
IMG_1161.jpeg
IMG_1160.jpeg

OK, the packages have finally arrived and this weekend we started installing the AEV Dualsport suspension upgrade kit.
While I love the JTR the suspension is just too soft for the king of traveling and weight carrying we do so …

Of course, I decided to wait until it was warm enough outside to do the install (highs yesterday were 95 degrees!). So I’m taking my time and drinking plenty of water between tasks. My older son is back and helping me as he can so we are making good progress. Particularly when the torque specs for some of the bolts are 200 ft/pounds and you have to do it lying on your back! It’s good to have a Beast in the family!

Here’s a couple of pictures of a side by side comparison of the products and what it looks like with the rear done…
IMG_1220.jpeg
IMG_1222.jpeg
IMG_1221.jpeg

Well we finished the install of the AEV Dualsport suspension today. While it wasn’t particularly difficult there were a lot of parts to work with. But this is why I chose this system. It comes 100% complete. From a spacer block to Lower the driveshaft back to OEM angles to the geometry correction brackets to keep the front control arms level and able to flex and compress completely. Interestingly, the shock are shorter than the Fox Rubicon ones but actually extend further…

Anyway here are a few pictures of the completed project next to my Son’s stock Rubicon…
IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg

Here’s a better side view picture..

And the numbers compared to my son’s Rubicon. Keep in mind that he has a stubby steel bumper in front with a winch and I have a canopy, drawer set and a few things in the back. Also, my tires are fairly warn and his only have a few thousand miles on them…

Rear increase over his - ~2.0 inches
Front increase over his - ~ 3 1/8 inches

Overall I’m very happy with the result. We took it on a test drive over some slightly rough dirt tracks and the compression and rebound of the suspension is nothing short of amazing. Highly recommend!

I’m surprised that the tires don’t look too small as I had feared. I am looking at replacing them soon but I think I may just go with 285/75R17’s (34”) E rated instead of 35’s. I’m not a fan of oversized tires as I feel the performance suffers too much but time will tell…

IMG_1231.jpeg

Last edited:
The 285-75 tire is an interesting option. Maintains the factory width so the load stays as designed on the bearings (assuming you keep stock wheels) but gives a slight increase in sidewall height. I’m thinking about the same size when I wear out my factory tires.

The 285-75 tire is an interesting option. Maintains the factory width so the load stays as designed on the bearings (assuming you keep stock wheels) but gives a slight increase in sidewall height. I’m thinking about the same size when I wear out my factory tires.

I agree!
I have a hard time understanding guys who run 12.5 or 13.5 inch wide tires (35 or 37” tall) as the rotational mass has to be negatively affecting the performance of the vehicle and as we know the Pentastar V-6 is an anemic engine to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom