Lightweight cots

Back on the rails now lol!

@WashingtonTaco we haven't pulled the trigger on a lightweight cot yet. As you know we were looking at the Marchway cot...
IMG_7137.jpg

But the other option we are considering is the lighter weight Version of the Alps Mountaineering cot that Tim uses. Where Tims is a bit to heavy at almost 10 lbs, this variant comes in under 5 lbs and has great reviews. It is twice the price of the Marchway though.
IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

I've told by several folks to stay away from the various Chinese versions of the Thermarest cot. Seems like all these myriad versions are prone to breaking connectors or bending the tension rods.

Thanks for the input from everyone! I pulled the trigger Friday night and had my cot Sunday afternoon. With less than two weeks from departure I wanted my sleep system sorted. I went with the Therm-a-Rest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018APAYJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It met all my packed criteria. The 30” wide when assembled dimension fits my Nemo bag and Nemo inflatable mattress. I really like how comfortable this combination is and the cot ease of set up. I added a Therm- a-Rest pillow as well.

A few other items I had and will be bringing these along just in case the weather gets cold. A Sea To Summit bag liner and Snugpak blanket.

The Nemo bag I’m using is rated to 30 degrees and should be sufficient. I have other lower rated bags but they are more of the mummy style and for 7 nights I prefer the roomier Nemo Mezzo Loft. The inflatable mattress slides in the back of the bag to keep you from sliding off.

All this gear still fits in my duffel with room to spare and still weighs less than just my Oz tent cot alone.

9591FA61-5A9E-4F50-B661-67AA4DAAF4DA.jpeg
D6E1229C-1A12-414C-B14E-7AFFF76C4592.jpeg
50EEF4D3-8064-4397-BA5B-031F40F263C8.jpeg

I have this one from King Camp on Amazon

1546884688424.png

Paige got it for me for Christmas last year. It is comfortable, light and packs to a reasonable size. The first few uses it takes a fair about of strength to set the legs in place but after a few uses the material loosens up enough that it is not bad to assemble. You can find the same design from other companies now at close to half the price of this one.

Yeah the price point of the Therm-a-Rest is a bit higher than others available. I’ve been using their products for years and have good service out of them, bonus they are a Seattle, USA based company and assemble in USA of domestic and foreign parts.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, I spent a week in AZ using this cot and mattress and found it extremely comfortable! Set up and take down is easy although a bit more time consuming than a traditional cot. The mattress held air for 5 nights straight without requiring re inflation. I highly recommend this set up!

Back
Top Bottom