Lightweight cots

WashingtonTaco

Adventurist
I am looking into purchasing a lightweight cot for a up coming base camp trip. I intend to put a sleep pad on the cot as well to maximize comfort. If the combination works as hoped it'll be replacing my comfortable but heavy Oz tent cot and foam pad that I have now. I have already purchased the sleep pad and find it comfortable and at 30" wide plenty spacious.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/151674/nemo-cosmo-insulated-air-sleeping-pad-with-pump

What has been your experience with the lightweight cots? They are not inexpensive buy any means! I've been looking at this Threm-a-rest.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018APA...olid=1PKCX79V4WDBC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

One other caveat is it needs to pack down to no loner than 24" in length.

Last edited:
I have never seen lightweight cot that was 30" wide. I have been using this cot from Helinox. It packs very small.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    138.5 KB · Views: 58
I read Haggis’s thread last night about lightweight camping kit. Some good information in there.
https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/building-the-go-anywhere-in-anything-ul-camp-kit.5857/

That Therm-a-rest is a bit less expensive than the Helinox. Well worst case scenario if I don’t find it comfortable for that kind of money can always return it.

I have never seen lightweight cot that was 30" wide. I have been using this cot from Helinox. It packs very small.

I checked out the Helinox at Expo East. Very nice and had "man size" options as well. But the price scared me off.

I have about 10 years of experience with my set up along with the OZ Tent, FWIW. It fulfills my requirement for low weight and cube and is quite comfortable; fits in the OZ tent RV2 perfectly, allowing space for a footlocker and collapsible chair.

Below is an Alps Mountaineering collapsible cot and it's $51.97 on Amazon, Prime. I did modify the spring steel legs by adding irrigation "funny" pipe. I split the flexible black plastic tubing along its length with a razor knife and trimmed it to the length of the legs, allowing a couple of inches to fit in the holes of the collapsible spreader bars. I did this to reduce friction and provide a larger surface area for the legs on the OZ Tent floor, reducing the potential for puncture due to abrasion; it apparently works. It should work fine without but I like to fiddle with things and remove chance from possible employment scenarios like rocky terrain. As a physical reference for comparison, I'm 6 feet and 205 pounds.

Along with my USGI self-inflating mattress pad (as an air gap from the cool surface air temps below the cot fabric) I've been comfortable in 4 season use. Typically, I use my sleeping bag (seasonal selection) as an additional "mattress", sleeping on top of that and covering myself with a poncho liner and fleece sleeping bag insert. I've found this combination to be the most comfortable, saving the restrictive mummy sack for the more arduous below zero temps.

From the site details:
  • Steel frame is extremely durable and will be sure to provide a long lasting use
  • Made of 600D Polyester fabric offering ultimate comfort and stability
  • Carry bag is included for easy transport and storage
  • Our Lightweight Cot (9.3 lbs) is perfect when you're sleeping on-the-go and space is limited but you still want comfort
  • Dimensions: 74" L x 30" W x7.5" H, Weight: 11 lbs. 8 oz., Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.

1546540735406.png

I have about 10 years of experience with my set up along with the OZ Tent, FWIW. It fulfills my requirement for low weight and cube and is quite comfortable; fits in the OZ tent RV2 perfectly, allowing space for a footlocker and collapsible chair.

Below is an Alps Mountaineering collapsible cot and it's $51.97 on Amazon, Prime. I did modify the spring steel legs by adding irrigation "funny" pipe. I split the flexible black plastic tubing along its length with a razor knife and trimmed it to the length of the legs, allowing a couple of inches to fit in the holes of the collapsible spreader bars. I did this to reduce friction and provide a larger surface area for the legs on the OZ Tent floor, reducing the potential for puncture due to abrasion; it apparently works. It should work fine without but I like to fiddle with things and remove chance from possible employment scenarios like rocky terrain. As a physical reference for comparison, I'm 6 feet and 205 pounds.

Along with my USGI self-inflating mattress pad (as an air gap from the cool surface air temps below the cot fabric) I've been comfortable in 4 season use. Typically, I use my sleeping bag (seasonal selection) as an additional "mattress", sleeping on top of that and covering myself with a poncho liner and fleece sleeping bag insert. I've found this combination to be the most comfortable, saving the restrictive mummy sack for the more arduous below zero temps.

From the site details:
  • Steel frame is extremely durable and will be sure to provide a long lasting use
  • Made of 600D Polyester fabric offering ultimate comfort and stability
  • Carry bag is included for easy transport and storage
  • Our Lightweight Cot (9.3 lbs) is perfect when you're sleeping on-the-go and space is limited but you still want comfort
  • Dimensions: 74" L x 30" W x7.5" H, Weight: 11 lbs. 8 oz., Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.

Tim, what is the packed length of said cot. The answers on Amazon are all over from “about 2 feet” to “24 inches” to “30 inches” I need sub 24”. Trying to get complete sleep system in a large duffel along with a few other non carry on items.
View attachment 42960

Yeah yeah, whats the packed length of your berth?
Sorry, didn't see your original question embedded in my original reply to you. That's a novel approach to dialog...

Regrets - it measures packed to be 30 inches. Looks like you'll have to continue looking for that uber-expensive pocket-cot option. If you are really using a duffel bag, as in USGI duffel bag, it will fit easily.

Good luck with your search!

Back
Top Bottom