JK gas theft

Elosogoloso

Adventurist
I wanted to share a recent negative experience I had while staying at a Arcadia hotel in So Cal for work. I had just checked out at 5 am after a 4 night stay and headed to my Jeep with my bags when I noticed a milk jug under the rear passenger side. I didn’t really think anything of it other than somebody put their pee jug under the Jeep! I opened the passenger side door to load my bags and then it hit me! I smelt the gas and I immediately knew someone got me!
5BAD257F-195D-4BAD-AE2B-86199C556DEC.jpeg
I was instantly upset to say the least. The tank was drilled just above the skid plate, and just like that my whole day was ruined.
3647751A-E811-420B-A19C-065A93FD4826.jpeg
I proceeded to contact hotel security, call the police, my insurance, work and finally auto club to have it towed to the dealership near my house.
6A2938FC-D8CF-466D-9AA1-A86F7E5FFD56.jpeg
The insurance company paid for a new gas tank and the labor and I had them replace the fuel pump on my dime while they were there. Just wanted to give fellow Jeepers a heads up that this is happening. I guess I will no longer be taking my favorite vehicle for offsite work stuff!

That sucks. An $800 dollar repair for $3 worth of gas. Maybe they'll immolate themselves later when they fire up the crack pipe.

Last edited:
I'm in the car business, we see that a couple of times a year. What happened to the "honest" gas thieves that used a siphon hose?:cool:

I'm in the car business, we see that a couple of times a year. What happened to the "honest" gas thieves that used a siphon hose?:cool:
I really wish they would have used a hose, or just asked me for money. I’m usually good for a few bucks!

That's why I'm glad my gas tank is behind a ¼" think piece of steel.

Sadly you can't siphon from most modern vehicles any more, which is why thieves drill tanks. There's an anti-siphon "cage" at the bottom of the filler neck. (At least my Jeep has one.) Plus draining from a tank like that is quicker than siphoning.

Back
Top Bottom