Good beginner Mtn Bike?

I'm looking hard at pre-owned Giant hard tails right now.. Mostly because the $$ is right for a used one.

Since you're looking at Giant bikes here's something to consider. These are mainly for xc style riding designed to behave like hardtails so there's no bobbing when pedaling but still reacts to bumps thanks to the design of the rear shock and suspension. Google Giant NRS (No Resonance System) for more info. I still have 2 of these from 2002 and still ride them from time to time.

Here's an NRS 2 on CL in Yucaipa. Good bike for the price and fully upgradable frame and if this came w/ the wheelset it was sold new with then they are disc brake compatible as well (see bikepedia link). I would still negotiate on the price though.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2004&brand=Giant&model=NRS+2
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-suspensio/giant/nrs-2/prd_363243_1526crx.asps
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/4395349075.html

00D0D_796yPlM2pyZ_600x450.jpg

Bringing this back up. I had to put this whole thing on the back burner for quite some time, as I have had some life events get in the way, but I am now actively looking for a bike again. I've been riding an old dept. store bike I forgot that I had at my parents house for the last few months, just to see if I'll stick with it. Well, I ride just about every weekend when I can, and I'm ready to make the jump to a little nicer bike. That being said, my budget is still a bit sparse, and I'm looking around the $400 range for something. One that I really like is the Diamondback Sorrento. It's a hard tail, and not meant for hard core stuff, but that's not what I'm doing with the bike anyway, and it falls in my price range. Here's a picture and specs...

31-2927-GRY-SIDE.JPG

Specs:

bottom bracket:Cartridge Type
brakes:Tektro Alloy Linear
cassette:Shimano 7spd Freewheel (14-28t)
chain:KMC-Z51
cranksetB Steel Arm 24/32/42t
fork:27.5" Trail XC w/ Alloy crown 60mm travel
frame: DB 6061-T6 heat-treated 27.5" / butted aluminum w/ gusset, replaceable hanger
front derailleur:Shimano Tourney, top pull, 31.8
grips/tape: DB4L 135mm Kraton
handlebar:Steel Riser
headset:Ahead 1-1/8"
levers:Shimano EF-51
pedals: MTB Resin
rear derailleur:Shimano Altus 7spd
rear shock:N/A
saddle: DB Men's ATB
seatpost:Alloy Micro Adjust 27.2mm
shifters:Shimano EF-51 Easyfire 7spd
stem:Alloy 4 bolt Ahead
tires:Chaoyang Hornet 27.5x2.1
wheelset: Doublewall alloy rims, 32h alloy hubs, 14g spokes

Any thoughts on this? I'm also open to suggestions for other brands in that price range...

I know we asked before, do you see yourself wanting/starting to ride single track trails? I still think a used bike will be a better value.

I know we asked before, do you see yourself wanting/starting to ride single track trails? I still think a used bike will be a better value.

That I am not really sure about. I need to do some research to see what kind of trails I have locally.

Hardtails are really stout. I have had my for near 10 years(this may is 10 years), and I have tens of thousands of commuting, and trail miles racked up. Mine was 600 bucks new, and was stock with disc breaks. I swear by them. If you can, look for a bare bones bike, but make sure it has the holes ready for discs. Don't let the 'el cheapo' bikes scare you, they will work. I will try and snap a photo of my HardRock(Specialized) for you tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bikes/GT-Bikes-Avalanche-Comp-GTW-Bike-2014
Jenson is based out of CA, I do not know your location to theirs, but check em out. They always have good deals, and are reasonable people.

Hardtails are really stout. I have had my for near 10 years(this may is 10 years), and I have tens of thousands of commuting, and trail miles racked up. Mine was 600 bucks new, and was stock with disc breaks. I swear by them. If you can, look for a bare bones bike, but make sure it has the holes ready for discs. Don't let the 'el cheapo' bikes scare you, they will work. I will try and snap a photo of my HardRock(Specialized) for you tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Jenson is based out of CA, I do not know your location to theirs, but check em out. They always have good deals, and are reasonable people.
Hih.. I didn't realize jensonusa.com was based out of corona.. that's about 40 miles from home, and about 15 miles from work.. I'm gonna have to pay them a visit!!

Look at the Specialized Rockhopper as step up. I had a friend ride one to a buckle time in the Leadville 100 2 years ago.

Not much help... 4 hours RT adds quite a bit to the price! But if you go, find a local trail to seller to ride on your new bike!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2005 Specialized Hard Rock (two actually, his and hers) with disc brakes that are still going strong. Mine has 100 times more miles on it and could use a new chain and maybe a sprocket but it's been a solid bike. MSRP was like $500 10 years ago.

I have a 2005 Specialized Hard Rock (two actually, his and hers) with disc brakes that are still going strong. Mine has 100 times more miles on it and could use a new chain and maybe a sprocket but it's been a solid bike. MSRP was like $500 10 years ago.
Feel like upgrading and selling your hardrock??? :)

Any updates here? Hopefully you have secured cranked transportation and have had your first taste of terra firma...two wheeled style by now!

Since its a forum, I'll just drop two pennies here:

-Pre bike purchase...buy a quality HELMET for your noggin'. Don't skimp here.

-Gloves...like to shake scabless hands? Nobody likes to hold a bloody banana...get a set of decent Fox/Pearl Izumi/etc. glove to protect your skinny mitts.

-Comfortable shorts...that you can wear to a coffee shop and not look like a Johnsonville brat on Father's day...baggy variety, check out Price Point, Cambria Bike Outfitters, REI, etc. Spend a little extra here for seamless tech in the nether regions...a Desitin free life is a choice.

Other things to consider...

-A jersey. Not the Pauly D. variety...the nice mesh you sweat in type. Again, pick your poison...Fox is very popular, and last years styles are always on sale. MUCH more comfortable than your old 83' Motorhead tour shirt...although that tips the scale for post ride cool. ;)

-Shoes...a nice set of mtn. shoes can make a difference, in both comfort and riding efficiency. Get a pair that doesn't look like a Tour De France billboard, or 80's neon flashback's. Shimano makes very nice entry level ($100-ish) lace up mtn shoes.

-Socks...no, not a monkey. Get a couple of pairs of cooly styled Sock Guy riding socks...yes Virginia, they will make your dogs cooler in style and temp.

-Hydration pack...this was a game changer when Camelbak came on the scene...kinda like keyless entry. A good hydration pack can make your riding experience 100% better...when you're ready.

I have to hit the road for work...the adoring retail public waits.

Good luck...hopefully you are out riding!

Any updates here? Hopefully you have secured cranked transportation and have had your first taste of terra firma...two wheeled style by now!

Since its a forum, I'll just drop two pennies here:

-Pre bike purchase...buy a quality HELMET for your noggin'. Don't skimp here.

-Gloves...like to shake scabless hands? Nobody likes to hold a bloody banana...get a set of decent Fox/Pearl Izumi/etc. glove to protect your skinny mitts.

-Comfortable shorts...that you can wear to a coffee shop and not look like a Johnsonville brat on Father's day...baggy variety, check out Price Point, Cambria Bike Outfitters, REI, etc. Spend a little extra here for seamless tech in the nether regions...a Desitin free life is a choice.

Other things to consider...

-A jersey. Not the Pauly D. variety...the nice mesh you sweat in type. Again, pick your poison...Fox is very popular, and last years styles are always on sale. MUCH more comfortable than your old 83' Motorhead tour shirt...although that tips the scale for post ride cool. ;)

-Shoes...a nice set of mtn. shoes can make a difference, in both comfort and riding efficiency. Get a pair that doesn't look like a Tour De France billboard, or 80's neon flashback's. Shimano makes very nice entry level ($100-ish) lace up mtn shoes.

-Socks...no, not a monkey. Get a couple of pairs of cooly styled Sock Guy riding socks...yes Virginia, they will make your dogs cooler in style and temp.

-Hydration pack...this was a game changer when Camelbak came on the scene...kinda like keyless entry. A good hydration pack can make your riding experience 100% better...when you're ready.

I have to hit the road for work...the adoring retail public waits.

Good luck...hopefully you are out riding!

Outstanding post! :bowdown

Great advice here that all riders can use. And yes Scott, my 2005 Hard Rock is for sale as I'm ogling a 2015 Rock Hopper. Let me know if you want it.

Another good source could be a bike shop that has rentals, their used livery bikes are well maintained and in good condition.

No one makes bad bikes these days, (mostly because they are all made by three factories in Taiwan) but there's lots of bad gear out there. Don't sweat big brand name frames as much as quality group sets. Look, frames literally NEVER fail, but if you buy "Alvio" or some other bargain basement groupset, you'll be miserably adjusting derailleurs and brakes constantly while everyone else is riding.

Same goes for things like shoes, shorts, helmets and gloves. One of my best roadie buddies rides a 10 year old Giant road frame, with Shimano 105, and great wheels while wearing clothes that probably value out at twice the going rate for a bike like his. He is hard, fast and comfortable. If you aren't comfortable, you wont ride again tomorrow.

Go get yourself a bike, and get the best gear you can afford, expect to buy wheels, and drive on.

Yota's post has A LOT of great advice. Quality bike shorts will make a massive difference, and if you can find some on sale, spend the extra money. Your privates will thank you, the more you can spend the happier you'll be. When I started, we'd ride 4 or 5 miles. When you start going past 100-150-200 miles then you really start to appreciate good shorts. Shoes a close 2nd, then I would suggest a good seat. Nothing ruins your ride faster than a horrible seat. Tires are also important, sketchy tires suck, so when you can, match your tires to where you ride. Once you get your bike, take it to a shop. They can tell you if something needs to be replaced, what to lubricate and clean, and some shops do fittings. I think fitting is important, just a simple thing like a shorter or longer stem can make a big difference. Wider or narrower bars... stuff like that. I won't get into which brake is better, as I am slightly biased (ok really biased), but above brake brands is the pads themselves. EBC makes the best disc brake pads IMHO, follow that up with a fluid change or cable lubrication and they'll serve you well. Most importantly learn how to work on your own bike, buy the tools to do it. Tools that work on your truck will likely not work for your bike, but having the ability to fix your bike on the trail vs walk it out is nice. Next thing you know you have 5-10 of your buddies bikes in your garage waiting to be fixed LOL. I took classes for bike building, repair, wheels building.... Not all at once, just as I progressed through various stages of mountain biking life. LOL when I started they were all hardtails, forks were just coming on the scene and a full suspension? What the? But like others have said, find a quality bike, doesn't have to be $$$$$$$$ just what will be a fun for you to ride. I think my fully is going to it's new home in Colorado soon, then it'll be time for a Surly Ice Cream Truck :)

No one makes bad bikes these days, (mostly because they are all made by three factories in Taiwan) but there's lots of bad gear out there. Don't sweat big brand name frames as much as quality group sets. Look, frames literally NEVER fail, but if you buy "Alvio" or some other bargain basement groupset, you'll be miserably adjusting derailleurs and brakes constantly while everyone else is riding.

Same goes for things like shoes, shorts, helmets and gloves. One of my best roadie buddies rides a 10 year old Giant road frame, with Shimano 105, and great wheels while wearing clothes that probably value out at twice the going rate for a bike like his. He is hard, fast and comfortable. If you aren't comfortable, you wont ride again tomorrow.

Go get yourself a bike, and get the best gear you can afford, expect to buy wheels, and drive on.

Great post! :coffee

Outstanding post! :bowdown

Great advice here that all riders can use. And yes Scott, my 2005 Hard Rock is for sale as I'm ogling a 2015 Rock Hopper. Let me know if you want it.

I have a 2012 Rock Hopper 29 (comp trim) I'm looking to get rid of. I just traded up to a 2015 Giant Trance Advanced. LOL

To Scott:

I'd look hard at the base Specialized Hardrock Disc 650b. The disc brakes (even mechanical pull) are a HUGE step up from V-brakes. Totally worth pushing your budget up to $500 IMO.

I beat HARD on a Specialized Hardrock for about 10 years, and it took it without complaint. I mean, riding down huge sets of stairs on my college campus, hard. Besides having the wheels trued every so often, and a basic tune up every couple years, it didn't require anything. It was a great bike.

Back
Top Bottom