2014 Desert Rendezvous: Official Thread

Are you attending the 2014 Desert Rendezvous?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger that, see you next time.

Garrett gets lucky... :lol

Giggity!

Ha...we're amending the list at the same time Dave! I was worried I'd lost my mind for a bit but than realized I was probably in better mental shape than this Garret fellow who now has Spot #32. ;)
Let's see - Bachelor party last weekend. Frankie just got sprayed by a skunk full force on Sunday at 2am - I'll have a "fragrant" Jeep and dog at the Rendezvous! I'm just glad I'm going!

So I've got a question for attendees: Is there anyone who's planning on doing one or more of the trail runs that would like an extra passenger?

I usually miss out on the trail runs because I typically have my wife and daughter along, and my camper takes too long to setup and tear-down camp to do it more than once in a weekend. Looking like I'll be solo for this rendezvous, so I thought I'd ask around.

And no staking out guy lines, yes?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just want to address this as well as the glass growler question, see my official take on the BLM rules below:

BLM rules
4. Possession of glass beverage containers is prohibited in all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas. This rule is in effect for all Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) open areas and also developed
sites and areas managed by the El Centro, Barstow, Palm Springs-South Coast, Ridgecrest, and Needles Field Offices.

5. It is prohibited to place into the ground any non-flexible object such as, but not limited to, metal or wood stakes, poles, or pipes, with the exception of small tents or awning stakes, at all developed sites and areas and all ORV open areas.
This rule is in effect for all Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) open areas and also developed sites and areas managed by the El Centro, Barstow, Palm Springs-South Coast, Ridgecrest, and Needles Field Offices.

IMHO, these rules do not prohibit tent stakes nor awning guylines. Just PLEASE ensure that you collect them all when you leave.

In regard to glass containers, this is really referring to GLASS BOTTLES i.e. single serving type containers that some morons like to leave behind or smash in firepits etc.

A nice growler, at your camp, that is used to refill your red solo cup is not an issue so long as you leave no trace at the end of the day.

Common sense applies here folks, let's leave the desert better than we found it!

:tread

Let's take a moment to educate ourselves on a very important member of our SoCal desert ecosystem - the desert tortoise.

DESERT TORTOISE INFORMATION

General Ecology
Desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) occupy a wide variety of habitats in the United States. In California, tortoises generally occur in valleys, flat areas, fans, bajadas and washes below 4,000 feet in tree yucca (Joshua tree and Mojave yucca) communities, creosote bush and saltbush scrub habitats, and in some ocotillo-creosote habitats. They occupy a wide variety of soil types, ranging from sand dunes to rocky hillsides, and from caliche caves in washes to sandy soils and desert pavements. Tortoises must have suitable soils and terrain for constructing a burrow and must have adequate annual and perennial plants in the spring and/or summer for forage.

In general, tortoises hibernate from October through February and are underground in burrows during that time. On warm, sunny days an occasional animal may be found near the mouth of its burrow in late fall or winter. In the Mojave and Colorado deserts, the prime activity period is late winter and spring, from mid to late March through May. In early spring, tortoises are out from mid-morning to mid-afternoon, during the warm part of the day. As air temperatures rise, tortoises emerge from burrows earlier and retreat earlier.

Tortoise populations have been declining in many areas for decades because of collecting, vandalism, loss of habitat, and disease. Government agencies have recognized the problems facing this species for many years. In June of 1989 the California Fish and Game Commission listed the tortoise as a threatened species under the California Endangered Species Act, 50 years after the first protective legislation. On April 2, 1990, the US Fish and Wildlife Service determined the Mojave population of the desert tortoise to be threatened (55 FR 12178). Reasons for the determination included significant population declines, loss of habitat from construction projects, and conversion of native habitat to agriculture. Livestock grazing and off-highway vehicle (OHV) activity have degraded additional habitat. Other threats include illegal collection by humans for pets or consumption, upper respiratory tract disease (URTD), predation on juvenile desert tortoises by predators, fire, and collisions with vehicles on paved and unpaved roads.

When you are hiking, camping, or having a picnic in the desert, you might see tortoises. The list of DO'S and DON'TS will increase enjoyment of the desert and at the same time protect the tortoise.

DO'S
Enjoy the tortoise at a distance with binoculars, respecting that it is a wild animal. By keeping a distance, you will reduce stress to the tortoise. When a tortoise is frightened by an approaching person, it may release the contents of its bladder. Tortoises store water in the bladder and can reabsorb it during dry seasons. The loss of water can place the tortoise under unnecessary stress or contribute to early death.
If you remain still and quiet, the tortoise may approach you and rest in your shade.

Check under your car before driving away. Often a tortoise will seek the shade of a car and be next to the wheels.
Be careful around tortoise burrows. The roof can be very thin near the opening and it is possible for you to trample the burrow, tortoise, or any nests. Do not walk on or near the burrow opening.

During summer and fall thunder showers, drive slowly on desert roads, especially the dirt and paved roads with little traffic. During rain storms, tortoises can be quite active and come to roads to drink the pooled water.

Follow the rules for the area: drive only on designated roads, camp in appropriate areas, be careful with fire, and take your trash out with you.

DON'T'S
Please do not handle the tortoises. State and Federal laws prohibit touching, handling or any type of harassment. Handling may also harm the tortoises because they may release the contents of their bladders.
Do not move close to photograph the tortoise with your camera, but instead use a telephoto lens.
Do not try to "pose" a tortoise for a picture. If you approach too closely, you might frighten or stress the tortoise.
Do not pull tortoises out of burrows or cover sites.
Do not drive off-road, unless you are in a designated open area.
Do not let your dogs run unsupervised in desert tortoise habitat.
Do not damage or remove desert vegetation or other features.
Do not release any tortoises into the desert.
Do not move tortoises from one place to another.

For more information on desert tortoise:
http://www.mojavedata.gov/deserttortoise_gov/
If you have a smartphone, you can download the free Mojave Desert Tortoise App from the iTunes store to submit your findings of this rare species and learn interesting facts as well.

HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS:

Do's and Don't's

While it is easy to tell the difference between Native American artifacts and modern trash, it can be a bit trickier when dealing with historic-era archaeological artifacts. This area also has a significant history involving mining, railroad, and early pioneers, not to mention the overland stage route. It would be a shame to accidentally throw some of this history away. Yosemite National Park does a yearly clean up and has a good flier on how to distinguish "trash from treasure."

You can download a copy at:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/t...v.Treasure.pdf

Why is this even important, you ask? Well they have another flier for that:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/t...rchofTrash.pdf

The most common historic items accidently picked up were old rusty cans and glass. In general, if it is rusting out, it is old enough to be historic; and for glass you can generally differentiate the older stuff from the newer as the older glass tends to be thicker, have more imperfections, such as bubbles, and has color shades that are different from modern glass.

:tread

I respect all wildlife (really)....But if you replace "tortoise" with "old guy" it is a lot more entertaining.
I really need to lay off the afternoon coffee.

-Andy

I knew I had seen the 50 year number somewhere for defining trash or treasure. Off to the other forum with the link!

We had this discussion while on a trip to Death Valley among those attending. Our discussion was regarding pop top beer/soda cans. Most of those are getting close to 50 years old by now, technically they are artifacts. I'm talking pop tops where the pop top completely separated from the can (dating myself).

I remember seeing one of those cans In a museum somewhere...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Was really looking forward to this again this year; but local events have conspired against us.

Not sure if this opens up another spot, but unfortunately you can X "Blarney" off the list.

Will try again next year.

Thanks for organizing a splendid event !!!

Paul

#50 (Blarney) is out, who's up next?

We don't get cell reception out there right? That way I can tell my wife she won't be able to get a hold of me all weekend.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely no cell service, nor sat phone service out there! (guessing that's the answer you are looking for, no idea if there is service or not in truth!)

We don't get cell reception out there right? That way I can tell my wife she won't be able to get a hold of me all weekend.

Raul, you are a man after my own heart. I owe you a beer.

You should do what I always used to do- Just turn the damn thing off. Then, on the way home, you can carefully listen to all 10 VM's and 20 texts from her before you call her. You will know everything that has happened and all of her concerns and can start the conversation with "Honey, I'm sorry that I didn't have service out there." Then, spend the next 15 minutes asking her about the issues that seemed most important in her voice mails. She will be happy, you have done your duty and are therefore happy about it. Oh yeah, after all that, you're 30 minutes closer to home.

She'll greet you with a hug when you get home and won't ask too many questions about "what happened out there?" and that's even nicer.

Cam

-

Raul, you are a man after my own heart. I owe you a beer.

You should do what I always used to do- Just turn the damn thing off. Then, on the way home, you can carefully listen to all 10 VM's and 20 texts from her before you call her. You will know everything that has happened and all of her concerns and can start the conversation with "Honey, I'm sorry that I didn't have service out there." Then, spend the next 15 minutes asking her about the issues that seemed most important in her voice mails. She will be happy, you have done your duty and are therefore happy about it. Oh yeah, after all that, you're 30 minutes closer to home.

She'll greet you with a hug when you get home and won't ask too many questions about "what happened out there?" and that's even nicer.

Cam

-

sounds like a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick reminder about the Dutch Oven Competition and Pot Luck for the 2014 DRV...

The Official thread is here, in case you haven't seen it.
http://americanadventurist.com/Foru...rt-Rendezvous-Dutch-Oven-Competition-Pot-Luck

Please take a moment to read the thread and consider participating. Tembo Tusk has donated a couple really nice items! They'll also be debuting a new product during the competition (hint: they'll be using it)

Even if you don't cook with a dutch oven, the pot luck is open to any and all who are feeling generous!

Hey Dave I don't think I will be camping this weekend might just come by on my way to a 2 wheeled desert adventure so you can give my spot to the next guy - if I don't see you this weekend Mountain for sure!

So I've got a question for attendees: Is there anyone who's planning on doing one or more of the trail runs that would like an extra passenger?

I usually miss out on the trail runs because I typically have my wife and daughter along, and my camper takes too long to setup and tear-down camp to do it more than once in a weekend. Looking like I'll be solo for this rendezvous, so I thought I'd ask around.

I'm attending solo so I'll have an extra seat. Haven't heard much about the runs yet though.
I'm in a white 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

-Bill

Quick Question:

Will anyone be carrying the little hand held GMRS radios? If so, is there an official AA channel? I don't have a Ham or a CB.

Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom