Yikes...2019 Ranger

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
It may be the first time in years that Machelle and I don't have at least one Jeep in the stable. Sadly, the '05 LJ Rubicon may go away to be replaced by this...

1560345758646.png

I drove it home last night to see how we liked it. It certainly won't be as capable as the LJ is, but I think it will meet our needs going forward. No radical plans, it's got a Fab Tech 3.5" lift on it already. I can see some armor (rock rails/skid plates, possibly bumpers) in it's future and call it good.

It will be Machelle's daily driver (...snicker...she works from home, I commute:cool:). It's pretty much loaded with everything except leather.

Attachments

• 1560310927785.png
    1560310927785.png
    485.4 KB · Views: 80
Congrats, nice color. Does it have a plastic oil pan? I heard they do. :questions

^^^^So we pulled the trigger. I have mixed emotions...I'm going to miss the "Jeep attitude" where I'd give most anything that looked reasonable a try in the LJ, and didn't usually hesitate to try an unreasonable obstacle in the '91 YJ rock crawler. I'm (a lot) older now, I can verify...I had a "bleeder" tonight...no idea how I nicked the back of my left hand, but I had a pro wrestler style blood trail down the back of my left hand that refused to stop... anyway, I've lost the rock crawler mentality that carnage is to be expected, rather than avoided. It may prove to be a tough adjustment, not sure I'll know exactly where to draw the line when presented with an obstacle. My best bet is to let Machelle be the first one to scuff her new patrol vehicle (the LJ was technically "hers" :cool:).

My boss said something about the "hood deflector" that we put on a display Ranger, along with a Yakima rack and a roof top tent...I said, "yeah, they look pretty nice compared to the old school bug deflectors, but I'm looking at rock rails/armor as my first modifications"...my boss has known me for 15 years, yet he still looked at me and asked if I was really going to wheel the damn thing...I reminded him that I managed to crush one of the plastic rear bumper end caps on the LJ with less than 500 miles on the clock, the new truck already has a little over 100 miles on it, so I need to hustle to create an "upgrade opportunity" if I'm going to beat that with this truck!

My sales guy (even employees get to deal with sales/finance) walked out to the LJ with me to get the registration and validate the VIN/mileage...he looked at it and said "wow, you really used this thing"...well, yeah...I had to 'splain to the man what a 4.5" long arm lift, 5.13 gears, welded in custom cage, engine driven OnBoardAir, and random other items were all about.

The bottom line on this story is this was somewhat of an impulse buy...I really thought I wanted to replace the Jeep with a Chevy Colorado ZR2...at some point in a random thread @Dave made a comment about the shocks being vulnerable to trail damage. The ZR2 is essentially high clearance front bumper and the shock package. I was still leaning towards the Colorado over the Ranger just because I'm still old school enough that I'm stuck on the "no replacement for displacement" theory of engine power. The V6 in the Colorado has proven to be a reliable engine in my experience at a GMC dealership. I was a little out to lunch on the 2.3L. EcoBoost engine in the Ranger (the ONLY engine choice). I've only been at a Ford dealership for 9 months or so but I haven't seen any inherent issues with that engine in other platforms. Talking with my lead tech that has been there since carburetors (pre -fuel injection for you youngsters, Google it:rolleyes:), the engine has been reliable.

It has adequate power/acceleration for my needs, I haven't really pushed it yet, I want to get some break in mile on it, change the oil again and then find out what it's really made of.

I haven't been a fan of the newer multi speed transmission in any product, the 10 speed auto is the only automatic transmission choice, there is a weird little shudder on take off from a stop that seems to be inherent, hopefully there will be a fix for that soon.

First mod... only the "Lariat" trim package has an engine cover, I didn't think much about it (although I must say that the engine bay isn't really a pretty sight). We have a Lariat on display in the showroom at the dealership, I popped the hood and looked at the engine cover, didn't think much about it as far as cosmetic appearance. I knocked my knuckles on it expecting it to be hard plastic, I was surprised to find out that it is made of a thick foam. I'm assuming it's to dampen the ticking noise from the injectors firing. I checked my price, less than $75 for the cover studs and nuts...what the hell, you only live once, so I ordered it. Thinking about this as I type, it almost sounds stupid in my head...in addition to being old/fat (my Dr's opinion, I like my dogs veterinarians medical opinions better)..anyway, I'm also getting hard of hearing (or better at ignoring), the odds of me noticing a difference in the cab is probably minimal.

On another news front, I've been authorized by the CFO to investigate the addition of rock rails and a spray in bed liner. I use Rhino and Line-X at work, I'll beat one of them into submission for a good deal. Rockrail search is under way.

@Dave mentioned the plastic oil pan...I stuck my head under the truck and took a good look at things for the first time (back to the impulse buy). I have factory steel skid plates that look to provide decent front differential protection, the "structural" plastic oil pan isn't even visible. The fuel tank also has a "structural" plastic skid plate that will be stupid simple for an aftermarket upgrade. The driveshaft is 2 piece, so most of it is protected. The transfer case is completely exposed and looking for shelter.

Happily, it does have an auto stop/start over ride button. I'm going to do a fuel economy test with it on and disabled just to find out how "valuable" such a feature is.

Machelle made a 70 mile round trip to see her sister today, she was thrilled with the truck, felt comfortable in it right away. I do have the gadgets turned off right now, (Lane Keep Assist, Cross Traffic Alert), but left the blind spot alert on. I'm going to give them a shot when I drive it, it will help with my job (Service Writer at a Ford dealership for those that don't know me...I'm right up there with your tax attorney and dentist as far as people to like). I can take all of the on line training that Ford whats me to take...I require seat of the pants, push buttons and see what happens training.

...more to follow.

Last edited:
We're going to take the truck, a neighbor and his girlfriend out to Anza-Borrego area where the Desert Rendezvous is held to do some shooting tomorrow morning. Tentative plan is to leave from north Escondido area around 0800, should be there by 0930, shoot for a couple of hours, go on a mild trail run and then head home.

Any one that is interested in joining us, let me know by PM, or meet us out there tomorrow morning. Probably shoot for a couple of hours, an hour or two on a trail run and then head home is the plan.

Back
Top Bottom