Winch Control Switch

Scott B.

Adventurist
I am finally getting around to adding a switch panel and under hood fuse block, to wire some accessories. (Better late than never! :eek:)

One item I am considering is wiring my winch control (in and out) to dash mounted switches in the cab of the truck. Air On Board makes some factory-looking switches that mount in existing dash switch holes.

This was a somewhat popular thing years ago. I did not do it then, and am not 100% convinced I want to do it now.

Is it a good idea? Part of me thinks yes, but the other part says just bring the wired remote into the cab and hold it. (Not going wireless, so not an option.)

Has anyone else wired their winch controls to permanent switches?

Opinions?

Thanks.

I too would opt for just hauling the wired controller in the window. Dash switches would be sleek, but since you want to be very intentional about using the winch (and perhaps probably not ALWAYS doing it from inside the cabin), I both worry a dash switch is too easy to use during non-winching activity and think it's not quite "worth it".

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would get some other opinions - where is everybody?

Either way, I'm not adding the dash switches.

I thought about it but decided no. One factor is that most of my winching has been for other vehicles rather than my own recovery and the operator's vantage point near and in full view of the winch seemed best.
In observing other folks' winch operations, the seldom-used aspect often resulted in winches not operating anyway so why add another point of failure into the chain? Although that would eliminate "the winch controller is at home/back at camp" failure which is not uncommon.

Although that would eliminate "the winch controller is at home/back at camp" failure which is not uncommon.

The suicide doors on the Tacoma have a pocket large enough for the controller. So that's where it stays along with a pair of gloves for that exact reason.

Most of the time I have winched is the recovery of other vehicles. If I'm sitting inside my vehicle I cannot see enough to safely winch them much of the time. The few times I have used it for my own recovery I have been at some pretty precarious angles and I think it would just add to the stress. A winch controller with a long enough cable allows you to effectively use it inside or outside and give you enough room for a decent margin of safety.

The question was really regarding personal recovery. Sometimes, down here, you need to winch a foot or so, then can drive a little, then winch again.

Thinking about it, a dash-mounted switch could actually be a hindrance. Holding the switch to engage the winch could put you, the driver, in a not ideal position - whether to steer, see out the window, or maintain balance (think off camber).

As I mentioned, I have decided against doing this.

Good discussion. I now know I am making the right decision - for me.

The question was really regarding personal recovery. Sometimes, down here, you need to winch a foot or so, then can drive a little, then winch again.

Thinking about it, a dash-mounted switch could actually be a hindrance. Holding the switch to engage the winch could put you, the driver, in a not ideal position - whether to steer, see out the window, or maintain balance (think off camber).

As I mentioned, I have decided against doing this.

Good discussion. I now know I am making the right decision - for me.

Sounds like what you need is a foot control for the winch. Set it up like a heel shifter on a motorcycle. :D

Back
Top Bottom