Warn XD9000i Rebuild

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
Picked up a Warn XD9000i locally for $50. Previous owner said it came off a Jeep and when it was removed it was difficult to move the lever to free spool it. He intended to repair it, but instead it sat in his garage for 7 or 8 years.

20210924_184835.jpg

Initial inspection revealed that two of the mounting bolts had been removed. The other two are rusted solid holding the winch captive on the Jeep specific mounting plate. A quick run at those two bolts with some PB Blaster and a breaker bar has me down an allen head socket. Those bolts are in there good. Ordered a hardened allen socket set and proceeded to tear down the rest of the winch while I wait for it to arrive.

After breaking things down it looks like moisture made its way into the housing and sat in the bottom for a bit. All the bearings spin freely and everything electrical appears to be in good shape. I'm going to try to clean everything up before going so far as to order new planetary gears or any other drive components. Winch controller arrived today and I have a new gasket set coming. The line that's currently installed is twisted and stuck on the drum... hoping I can clear that once I get it up and running.

20210924_185945.jpg

20210924_185950.jpg

20210924_190556.jpg

20210924_190620.jpg

20210924_191046.jpg

20210924_191921.jpg

------------------------------ 8/8/2022 Edit ------------------------------

Adding some additional information here that was useful during the rebuild just so it's all in one place for future folks that stumble across this thread.

1659991354001.png

1659991367228.png

Excellent rebuild thread, albeit in some very old HTML formatting: https://www.wanderingtrail.com/Repairs_Rebuilds/warn_winch/warnwinch.html

Last edited:
XD9000 is a good unit. And for $50? Great restoration project!

:jump:

Running X9000 on the tundra, never had a problem. Would love to see the final project.

Slowly progressing along as I have 10 minutes here and there to mess with this thing. Update and pictures pending. In the meantime, I'm taking suggestions for synthetic line. Obviously the $80 No Name options on Amazon are a bad idea. However Warn wants $400 for 90' of line, Quadratec has a similar offering for $200, Yankum is at $429 and MasterPull is well over $600. Other than name and some rating differences there don't seem to be huge differences between them.

The sliding ring gear seems to have suffered the most damage from rust at this point. Here's a shot of the rusted side all cleaned up:

20210928_174151.jpg

And the side that was up with no rust damage:

20210928_174202.jpg

I might be a bit partial, but Safe Xtract is the top of the line USA made BERRY compliant.
https://www.asroffroad.com/sx-20000a-winch-line-7-16-x-60-21-000-lb-mts/

If that is out of the budget then ASR 7/16 inch
https://www.asroffroad.com/7-16-asr-enhanced-winch-line-mts-21-000-lbs/

See if you can get it in a 60' length.

Safe Xtrac isn't just recovery equipment, its training and an app. No other gear on the market that has all three. Your close enough to @Dave he could school you up.

Awesome find on the winch BTW!

I'll take a look at the Safe Xtract offerings.

In the meantime I have a pile of clean parts waiting on a gasket and now a replacement drum.

20210928_182451.jpg

20210928_181750.jpg

PB Blaster is being sprayed daily on the two bolts holding the winch to the plate as well. We're getting close to executing some desperate measures...

20210928_182502.jpg

Well the good news today is that the winch is no longer attached to the mounting plate. The bad news is that the mounting bolts are STILL in there and are going to need to be drilled out. The square nuts and the bolts have rusted solid and no amount of penetrating oil, heat or hammering is breaking them apart. Hopefully drilling them out works as I'd rather not order the two side supports since they're fairly pricey. If I have to order them, adding in what I've spent in parts already plus sourcing a synthetic line, it'll be approaching the price of a brand new Warn Zeon.

So remember when I bought that winch almost a year ago and started rebuilding it? Well to one up my winch purchase my wife decided that "we" needed to buy a new house. So now here we are, almost a year later and we're all moved in to the house we bought back in December. The last box is unpacked and I'm even down to having only 3 things left on the honey-do list. Tonight, for the first time, the new basement shop was clear and organized enough for me to pull out the winch and start tinkering again.

At some point before moving I got everything cleaned, greased and ready for reassembly. A new drum arrived, I got the planetary gears reinstalled, the new drum set on one side and began moving on to cleaning up the brake assembly. Then we listed the house, sold it after 3 days on the market and the still disassembled winch was thrown carefully placed in a tote. Pulling it out tonight I struggled to remember where I was at in the process, poked around the rebuild guide I was using and I think I picked up where I left off. With about 30 minutes of effort tonight I cleaned up the brake assembly, tested all the solenoids (they all work), and got the thing reassembled to this point:

1659927937015.png

Tested the free spool action (which it wouldn't do when I purchased it) and surprisingly I must have done something right because it works! Couldn't find photos of the process of putting all the planetary gears back together, probably because I was covered in grease and didn't take many. Now I just need to sort through the solenoid wiring and I should be up and running with this thing.

Back
Top Bottom