Warn winch??

I think the real gem here is that a spare solenoid is a great thing to have? Of course you'll never need it but someone in your group will after you haul it around forever.

to address your original question, the wireless only is probably perfectly fine, and I am sure it has been tested, but it would make me nervous not being able to rig something in the field if I had to.

to address your original question, the wireless only is probably perfectly fine, and I am sure it has been tested, but it would make me nervous not being able to rig something in the field if I had to.

My thought exactly..............not to have a fix makes me very nervous with that particular one.

I have a RECON 10,500 lb winch with a synthetic cable, and a wireless and wired controller.

The wireless controller is less sensitive than the wired controller, so it runs just a second longer. Not an issue unless you are buttoning up after a pull.

Regarding only having a wireless controller and feeling like it is a liability, are you planning on having a back up for your wired controller? I would think there are far more moving parts in the traditional controller than the wireless controller.

This is why I like having both, and some spare batteries. And someone else on the run with a compatible wired controller.

IMO you should have 2 controllers and the user manual for your winch with you at all times. When you know how it works, you can make it work even without a remote. Ask me how I know. ;)

^^^^On my old school Warn stuff, jump the controller plug with a paper clip. Which brings up this point...controller should be accessible from the driver seat. The coolest double- throw-me-down-bad-mamba-jamba winch is USELESS if the controller is packed away in your drawer system when you need it!

<unless it is old school and you have a paper clip>

WARN M8000 owner too and have had it since 2008. Works flawlessly and used with the proper equipment, e.g., recovery pulleys, has been able to handle the worst thrown at it. I wired my solenoid to in-cab dash mounted controls and rarely use the wired remote except for training.

The WARN wireless remote I've used quite a bit and it's a pretty handy little item. I have heard, although I can't verify it's accuracy, that among groups of wireless remote users that one can synch with other remotes that are installed, resulting in one owner operating several winches at a time. Sounds like an AAV Desert Rendezvous experiment or a future Myth Busters episode in the making... :D

Ramsey is a solid brand too IMO- when I was logging ALL the big yarder winches were made by Ramsey.

I have a 9.5 warn powerplant. It only let me down once, but it was a doozy. The over heat sensor failed and the winch shut itself down. I did not know what was causing the problem or I could have by passed it. Apparently Warn had a batch of bad sensors. When I contacted them, they knew exactly what was wrong, so much so, that they had kits in stock with a sensor and instructions on how to replace. They gladly sold me the kit. This was helpful but didn't do my buddy much good, as we left his rig upside down in the woods after he slide down a bank and over turned.

I have a 9.5 warn powerplant. It only let me down once, but it was a doozy. The over heat sensor failed and the winch shut itself down. I did not know what was causing the problem or I could have by passed it. Apparently Warn had a batch of bad sensors. When I contacted them, they knew exactly what was wrong, so much so, that they had kits in stock with a sensor and instructions on how to replace. They gladly sold me the kit. This was helpful but didn't do my buddy much good, as we left his rig upside down in the woods after he slide down a bank and over turned.

They sold you a fix for their screw up? It sounds like I wont consider warn, ever.

I have a RECON 10,500 lb winch with a synthetic cable, and a wireless and wired controller.

The wireless controller is less sensitive than the wired controller, so it runs just a second longer. Not an issue unless you are buttoning up after a pull.

Regarding only having a wireless controller and feeling like it is a liability, are you planning on having a back up for your wired controller? I would think there are far more moving parts in the traditional controller than the wireless controller.

This is why I like having both, and some spare batteries. And someone else on the run with a compatible wired controller.

That is the issue with the Warn Platinum there is no backup. Everything including clutch is run thru their new wireless remote. This is the only way to operate this new winch.........the main reason I have decided against it!

Last edited:
Find the frequency of the remote, and order an extra. Open it up, check to ensure it runs, vacuum seal it up, and keep fresh batteries ready.

The new remote is probably 1/3 of the price of the winch................buy an extra? No way. It charges via USB, no batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the 10S is the way I will go............

The new remote is probably 1/3 of the price of the winch................buy an extra? No way. It charges via USB, no batteries.

Sounds like it is built to compliment a set of 22" rims on the pretty superduty in front of Macy's

PP worked well on last Jeep. we went 10S in both our new rigs. Platinum seems cool but decided to keep it simple.

delivered by winged monkeys

They sold you a fix for their screw up? It sounds like I wont consider warn, ever.
I'd still buy one, but they don't live up to the "reliability " hype and their customer service is lacking. Don't let my bad experience sway you. At the time, it was their top of the line model. I felt they should have stood behind it.

Back
Top Bottom