Tools to tote

An old timer buddy of mine only used tools he carried in his Jeep for repairs, even when he was sitting in his driveway. He figured if he needed it in the driveway, he'd probably need it on the trail at some point.

Solid advice right there. :)

An old timer buddy of mine only used tools he carried in his Jeep for repairs, even when he was sitting in his driveway. He figured if he needed it in the driveway, he'd probably need it on the trail at some point. I come from a rock crawler back ground...we had significantly more vehicular carnage than what we do around here.

our group follows a modified version of the very same maxim. like if we're going solo, we'd make do w/ hand tools. We're not always going to want to bring the Millermatic and a full set of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drive milwaukee or dewalt impact guns. :p sometimes the hand powered versions work well enough. In a group we can do things like bring a jumper cable stick welder, we each bring a power tools but one charger. but trading power tools for hand tools and spares that can fix a ball joint for example..

27744961_10215228011802786_1274475584_o.jpg

I tend to overdo it somewhat with tools also, but,...you just never know quite what youll need. I stopped once for a guy that was broke down beside the road, I asked if he was OK, he said he would be if he just had a single wrench (think it was a 1/2"). I had one, he fixed his ride and we all went on our way.

Ive found many useful small tools and individual sockets and driver tips at pawn shops. At one, I dig a bit, get a dozen or so small items, they look at them, say "$3", I give them $5 and call it good. One such pile had a S&W sight adjusting screwdriver that all the S&W adjustable sight revolvers used to come with. They go for a bit more than I paid for the pile. That has gotten me several Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" drive deepwell sockets, half dozen driver tips, and other small odds and ends at a time. Small stuff often gets dumped into bins and you have to dig for it. I have found sets of decent quality end wrenches and sockets for very reasonable prices also.

The little plastic pocket fishing tackle boxes work for my sockets, adapters and small stuff, and one for electrical parts.

Screw gun goes all the time. Have socket adapters for 1/4 and 3/8.

I always take a 1/2" breaker bar for the lugs. The factory lug wrenches often arent enough when they were blasted on too much with air at a shop.

our group follows a modified version of the very same maxim. like if we're going solo, we'd make do w/ hand tools. We're not always going to want to bring the Millermatic and a full set of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drive milwaukee or dewalt impact guns. :p sometimes the hand powered versions work well enough. In a group we can do things like bring a jumper cable stick welder, we each bring a power tools but one charger. but trading power tools for hand tools and spares that can fix a ball joint for example..

27744961_10215228011802786_1274475584_o.jpg

Much like backpacking, spreading the tool load out over a few vehicles for remote travel has the intended effect of reducing mechanical mountains into mole hills.

How "convenient" that the tire just "rested" on the slider providing support for initial inspection...;)

Generally speaking, we advise people to take the time before a trip to sitdown in their driveway with all their handtools (optional adult beverage) and touch every nut, bolt and fastener on their vehicle. In the end, most people are surprised how few tools actually fit their vehicle (approx. 50-60 individual pieces). Then you add a few extra pieces for improvised repairs (wire cutters, pliers, wire, duct tape, bungee, ratchet strap, jumper cable welding kit, JB weld, cheater bar, spare nuts/bolts, belts, etc...) and you now have a kit that actually works on your vehicle (and +/- 90% of the vehicles you'll run across on the trail) and you won't be carrying useless tools that some kits come with (200 piece socket set only sets, 80 redundant sockets, .02 mm Allen wrench, picture hanging hooks, level, 25 1/4 inch bits for deck screws, etc.....). You'll reduce the weight and space you take up and be confident in your ability to conduct a field repair.
Now, since you've just spent $50k on a rig, $2k on a RRT, $1k on a fridge and thousands more on additional gear, consider going with good quality and dedicated set of mechanics tools that you leave in your rig and can count on during one of the most stressful times of your trip. Middle of no where, sun going down, family stressed ( or worse, your with your trail buddies.....) and you've just spun off a serpent belt and have a spare. Good luck. Be safe!

Last edited:
Generally speaking, we advise people to take the time before a trip to sitdown in their driveway with all their handtools (optional adult beverage) and touch every nut, bolt and fastener on their vehicle. In the end, most people are surprised how few tools actually fit their vehicle (approx. 50-60 individual pieces). Then you add a few extra pieces for improvised repairs (wire cutters, pliers, wire, duct tape, bungee, ratchet strap, jumper cable welding kit, JB weld, cheater bar, spare nuts/bolts, belts, etc...) and you now have a kit that actually works on your vehicle (and +/- 90% of the vehicles you'll run across on the trail) and you won't be carrying useless tools that some kits come with (200 piece socket set only sets, 80 redundant sockets, .02 mm Allen wrench, picture hanging hooks, level, 25 1/4 inch bits for deck screws, etc.....). You'll reduce the weight and space you take up and be confident in your ability to conduct a field repair.
Now, since you've just spent $50k on a rig, $2k on a RRT, $1k on a fridge and thousands more on additional gear, consider going with good quality and dedicated set of mechanics tools that you leave in your rig and can count on during one of the most stressful times of your trip. Middle of no where, sun going down, family stressed and you've just spun off a serpent belt and have a spare. Good luck. Be safe!

Hi! Can you post a link to the awesome ATC/DeWalt tool kit collab that you showed me at Overland Expo East?

Hi! Can you post a link to the awesome ATC/DeWalt tool kit collab that you showed me at Overland Expo East?

Dave -

Happy too!

ATC has partnered with DeWALT to create a set of the highest quality mechanics hand tools, a set that is available only here at ATC. This curated selection provides great versatility. And the ruggedly durable ShopRoll minimizes space consumed in your vehicle, thereby streamlining your travel. Since both ATC and DeWALT offer lifetime warranties, this is one-time shopping. You'll never need to buy any of this again.
These aren't the cheap hand tools that you can buy as a set at {fill-in-the-blank} superstore. They feel completely different, both functionally and aesthetically. They are designed specifically for professional mechanics, full-sized tools allowing maximum torque. The wrenches are fully chromed, as is the socket set, and smooth-handled, so that they won't bite into your hand when using. And unlike huge, commercially available tool sets, which are filled with tools that never get used because they don't fit your vehicle, this set is specifically designed to address common mechanical problems that occur in the field on a wide range of rigs.
Before listing the included tools, we'll do a little math. The 64 DeWALT tools retail (MSRP) for ~$372.40. We're taking 25% off that price. The ShopRoll retails for ~$100. We're taking 15% off. So if you're looking for a comprehensive tool kit, this is not only a versatile set. It's also a great deal.
The DeWALT tools:
34 Piece Socket Set:
3/8” Drive Quick Release Ratchet
3/8” Drive 3'' Extension
3/8” to 1/4” Drive Adaptor
3/8” Drive Drill Adaptor
(7) 1/4” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (5/32”, 3/16”, 7/32”, 1/4”, 9/32”, 5/16”, 3/8”)
(7) 1/4” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11m)
(8) 3/8” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”)
(8) 3/8” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm)
10 pc Metric Combo Wrench Set: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm
10 pc SAE Combo Wrench Set: 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”, 15/16”
9 -1/4” Lock Nose Pliers
6” Longnose Pliers
6” Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers
10” Adjustable Wrench
6-in-1 Screwdriver
16oz Ball Pein Hammer
(made by Stanley, a DeWALT subsidiary)
(2) 3/8” Drive Socket Rails
1/2” Drive Socket Rail
1/4” Drive Socket Rail

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/shoproll-dewalt-bundle
IMG_3535.JPG

Last edited:
Dave -

Happy too!

Adventure Tool Company partnered with DeWalt International and developed this SAE/Metric mechanics handtool set. It includes the ATC ShopRoll and 64 DeWalt SAE/Metric Mechanics Tools. Both come with lifetime warranties, so if you break a DeWalt Tool simply go to any store that sells DeWalt and get a replacement. If the ShopRoll fails, simply contact ME.

The DeWalt Mechanics tools were selected due to their quality and function. The set is much more then a "200 piece" socket set from The big box store for $99.99. It actually contains the usual tools needs for a field repair. (When was the last time you could cut a wire with 200 sockets, ratchet handles, 1/4 inch bits and mini Allen wrenches?). Now, there are vehicles that have specialized fasteners (Torx, extra large bolts, axle nuts, etc.) so as we suggested, once you've "touched" all your rigs fasteners, simply add those sockets to the kit.

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/shoproll-dewalt-bundleView attachment 42524
Welcome to my Christmas List

<snip>

I always take a 1/2" breaker bar for the lugs. The factory lug wrenches often arent enough when they were blasted on too much with air at a shop.

I always recommend one as well- another issue is the stupid chrome caps Toyota puts on their lug nuts. They don't have tight angles on them and the factory lug wrench doesn't fit tightly so they can slip and then the chrome caps come loose or off- now your 21mm lug nut is 20mm. I bought a deep 20mm impact socket to toss in my kit as well. I've got a mix of chrome capped and uncapped lug nuts on my truck even though I have new spares, I just haven't gotten around to changing them all to match.

These guys have some neat looking products as well. Supposedly founded by the guy who started Eagle Industries (tactical gear). https://www.atlas46.com/products.html#!/Mechanics-Off-Road/c/30924017/offset=0&sort=normal No affiliation and I haven't bought any of their gear yet but I've read several good reports.

John Carver and his family created Eagle Industries in Fenton, Mo. In the late 80's through the early 90's as civilian LE tactical teams were moving away from military surplus gear and into more modern and civilian based LE specific gear, I worked and designed tactical and drug enforcement gear with the Eagle Designers for my Missouri Team and Spec Ops Unit(s). Eagle Industries was the first and best gear out there....long before Blackhawk, 5.11, etc...and all the Chinese knockoffs. As a matter of fact, so much of the tactical gear you see today is direct knockoffs from the original Eagle designs. Their gear was so good, that in the early days the only way you could get a piece was through a federal agency. I have the greatest respect for what they started and how they've moved into different industries. Cheers!

John Carver and his family created Eagle Industries in Fenton, Mo. In the late 80's through the early 90's as civilian LE tactical teams were moving away from military surplus gear and into more modern and civilian based LE specific gear, I worked and designed tactical and drug enforcement gear with the Eagle Designers for my Missouri Team and Spec Ops Unit(s). Eagle Industries was the first and best gear out there....long before Blackhawk, 5.11, etc...and all the Chinese knockoffs. As a matter of fact, so much of the tactical gear you see today is direct knockoffs from the original Eagle designs. Their gear was so good, that in the early days the only way you could get a piece was through a federal agency. I have the greatest respect for what they started and how they've moved into different industries. Cheers!
They made/make great gear. I still have one of their rucks (A III) and a couple other items I got back in 2002 from the factory when I was out on a visit to FLW. That bag's been round the world with me and taken a lot of abuse. EI now absorbed under First Spear, along with several other small companies.

Dave -

Happy too!

ATC has partnered with DeWALT to create a set of the highest quality mechanics hand tools, a set that is available only here at ATC. This curated selection provides great versatility. And the ruggedly durable ShopRoll minimizes space consumed in your vehicle, thereby streamlining your travel. Since both ATC and DeWALT offer lifetime warranties, this is one-time shopping. You'll never need to buy any of this again.
These aren't the cheap hand tools that you can buy as a set at {fill-in-the-blank} superstore. They feel completely different, both functionally and aesthetically. They are designed specifically for professional mechanics, full-sized tools allowing maximum torque. The wrenches are fully chromed, as is the socket set, and smooth-handled, so that they won't bite into your hand when using. And unlike huge, commercially available tool sets, which are filled with tools that never get used because they don't fit your vehicle, this set is specifically designed to address common mechanical problems that occur in the field on a wide range of rigs.
Before listing the included tools, we'll do a little math. The 64 DeWALT tools retail (MSRP) for ~$372.40. We're taking 25% off that price. The ShopRoll retails for ~$100. We're taking 15% off. So if you're looking for a comprehensive tool kit, this is not only a versatile set. It's also a great deal.
The DeWALT tools:
34 Piece Socket Set:
3/8” Drive Quick Release Ratchet
3/8” Drive 3'' Extension
3/8” to 1/4” Drive Adaptor
3/8” Drive Drill Adaptor
(7) 1/4” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (5/32”, 3/16”, 7/32”, 1/4”, 9/32”, 5/16”, 3/8”)
(7) 1/4” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11m)
(8) 3/8” Drive Standard SAE Sockets (7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”)
(8) 3/8” Drive Standard Metric Sockets (12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm)
10 pc Metric Combo Wrench Set: 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm
10 pc SAE Combo Wrench Set: 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4”, 13/16”, 7/8”, 15/16”
9 -1/4” Lock Nose Pliers
6” Longnose Pliers
6” Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers
10” Adjustable Wrench
6-in-1 Screwdriver
16oz Ball Pein Hammer
(made by Stanley, a DeWALT subsidiary)
(2) 3/8” Drive Socket Rails
1/2” Drive Socket Rail
1/4” Drive Socket Rail

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/shoproll-dewalt-bundleView attachment 42524
Paul, that might be the best pre-made tool kit I've seen since the legendary USAG Dakar kit Griott's Garage sold decades ago.

USAG Dakar tool kit.png

Back
Top Bottom