Throwing Shade

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
When the UPS or FedEx truck delivers a box and my wife gets to it before me, she’s throwing shade. You know the drill. Thankfully, something showed up here that the boss really likes. Something that throws real shade. The kind of deep, dark shade that provides relief on a hot day at the beach. Or the river. Or out on the trail. We’re talking about the all new Adapter Shade Panel and Sweet Spot Vehicle Kit from Force Protector Gear.

A851E620-EFFD-42D5-B29A-5E69971B8865-scaled.jpeg
Shade at the beach!

2030EBE5-D7B1-476A-BB51-6898E2645967-scaled.jpeg
Shade in the woods!

Founded in 2005 and based in California, Force Protector Gear is the designer and manufacturer of the US Marine Corps replacement Sea Bag...

Continue reading...

Nice product. Glad to see it’s made in the USA.
‘I agree that shade/shelter is extremely important. Having just come back from a trip to South Texas we used our awning almost daily in order to be able to enjoy our campsite.
This awning is a little too small for my intended use on my Gladiator so I have ordered another product and hope to do a review of it when I get it next month.

Some deployment ideas that @Gear cooked up for me.

Brackets that attach to the underside of the Leitner load bars.
BB791FDD-F3ED-47B7-9106-A0F5254D1E43.jpeg

They keep the ASP tight against the vehicle. Also using a second set of poles to elevate the ASP near the tailgate, I’m tall so this helps.
CAC9B837-0064-4FDF-BF55-4E1C30E6C5D9.jpeg

24AC32D6-7130-4DB5-BE59-688AD243FBBB.jpeg

Using a set of straps (or paracord) on the 2nd set of poles helps with wind and reduce sagging.
DA90978B-FF0C-4943-99F1-8E238D0D760D.jpeg

This awning is a little too small for my intended use on my Gladiator so I have ordered another product and hope to do a review of it when I get it next month.

The beauty of this is that you can make it as big as you want - circus tent big - just add panels.

Or, if you’re like me and want that minimalist setup, just use one or two panels :)

Still fine tuning this, using a fiberglass tent pole to add support and push out unstaked awning poles. Some bits here, the ASP is tapered so the tent pole (I used a cheap replacement pole) has to be trimmed to a specific length for the position you place the awning poles at the awning. My goal here is headroom at the tailgate area, I’m tall, without having to stake out additional lines which is also an effective option. Also, a nice aluminum tent pole might be more robust, this one cost $8.

CAD6F673-BAD7-4381-983D-7FB238EFB1E3.jpeg
99609CFA-15EB-4239-A15C-326AB9FA6096.jpeg

Still fine tuning this, using a fiberglass tent pole to add support and push out unstaked awning poles. Some bits here, the ASP is tapered so the tent pole (I used a cheap replacement pole) has to be trimmed to a specific length for the position you place the awning poles at the awning. My goal here is headroom at the tailgate area, I’m tall, without having to stake out additional lines which is also an effective option. Also, a nice aluminum tent pole might be more robust, this one cost $8.

View attachment 56915View attachment 56916
I have and use telescoping Oztent Ridge poles. They are meant to be horizontal and to do just what you're trying for here; going from the top of one vertical pole to another, with hard plastic on each end with holes to accommodate the top of your vertical poles.

$11.99ea and telescope to 8'5". I have several I use around camp in different ways. I also have a bunch of their inexpensive but robust vertical poles that I've used with my FPG Thermashields, trailer awning, canoe trip shelter, etc. They're the only longer poles I buy. I'm experimenting with a number of shorter, more packable, poles, too, for bike and canoe overnights.

https://www.oztent.com/products/tent-range/tent-accessories/oztent-awning-poles

I use the Green Elephant Poles when I add the sun shade to my left side awning or as extra support for my awning room.

Dave I like these poles alot, IMO they are quality built pole with a nice case that all the parts store within the pole. The locking mechanism is stout. A friend turned me on to these. I have the older version of these.

The older version works well. Take note on the number of sections. Older ones where 3 section some of the newer ones are 4 section. For some reason there seems to be more bend in the newer 4 section version. I have used the Green Elephant poles for several years now with good results.

Back
Top Bottom