The Camp Toilet thread!

my wife and I've used his and hers plastic ammo cans in our rigs for years. Sounds crazy but you just put in a biodegradable bag, do your thing, and toss where anyone would put diapers or doggie-poo bags. Just sayin', it is about as simple as can be. Better yet, my MacGirlver of a wife came up with the idea.

71znt-LCVjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

PETT toilet for the win. If camping in one spot for more than one night it can be used more than once. Note : My wife and I only use it for BM,s .

The Thunderbox looks interesting but not sure how well a Wag bag can be held in with only being held down on three sides.

I just preordered this for estimated July shipping from Joolca: https://www.joolca.com/products/gottago?variant=41536810876962

It separates the solid from the liquid resulting in less smell. They offer a chemical, bag, or compost option for the solids and the pee just goes into a separate bottle. It was $299 total, opting for both a chemical cassette and a bag cassette option. If the chemical toilet doesn't work as described, the bag option only uses one bag, which is nice. We plan to give the bag a twist or four before closing it up if moving and before we pack up to go home, emptying at home. I like the idea of not having several wag bags of slushy stinky waste taking up space in my trash bag hangin on the rear of the rig, waiting to burst and ruin a trip. Urine goes into a separate bottle than can be dumped on the nearest latrine tree like a thunder jug.

From the website, sizes and approximate number of uses each container holds. Your :bullmay vary.

Chemical Cassette:11L (2.9 Gal) approx.19 uses
Bag / Compost Cassette:9.4L (2.5 Gal) approx. 23 uses
Urine Container4.6L (1.2 Gal) approx. 12-15 uses
View attachment 64188
Ordered one the other day

I purchased this a good three or four years ago as I got sick of just digging a cat hole or looking for two suitable rocks side by side while ruining my already bad knees. It was probably one of the best investments I have ever made for a portable toilet. It sits up high enough and has plenty of room that you don't feel like you are doing the Kimchi squat over a Campbell's soup can. Plenty comfortable if you decide to ponder the days upcoming activities. The setup takes seconds and is very stable. It fits perfectly in my crap castle (Privacy tent) if you feel modest enough to set one of those up. They are really light and fold up very thin with the limited space I often have. I don't like the supplied clear plastic bags it comes with as that's pretty disgusting if you ask me. If I don't dig a trench below it then bury everything I tend to use a thick or doubled up black plastic trash bag with a thickening/deodorizing agent. The bags attach to the underside of the seat and stay put pretty good.

I purchased this a good three or four years ago as I got sick of just digging a cat hole or looking for two suitable rocks side by side while ruining my already bad knees. It was probably one of the best investments I have ever made for a portable toilet. It sits up high enough and has plenty of room that you don't feel like you are doing the Kimchi squat over a Campbell's soup can. Plenty comfortable if you decide to ponder the days upcoming activities. The setup takes seconds and is very stable. It fits perfectly in my crap castle (Privacy tent) if you feel modest enough to set one of those up. They are really light and fold up very thin with the limited space I often have. I don't like the supplied clear plastic bags it comes with as that's pretty disgusting if you ask me. If I don't dig a trench below it then bury everything I tend to use a thick or doubled up black plastic trash bag with a thickening/deodorizing agent. The bags attach to the underside of the seat and stay put pretty good.

I like how small this pack up. About a third of the size of the PETT. How are the bags held in?

I like how small this pack up. About a third of the size of the PETT. How are the bags held in?
You attach them around the top around the square metal part then close the entire lid to hold everything in place. If I don't just dig a pit below the bags work pretty well. Especially if you are in an area where digging a hole wouldn't be possible or very difficult. If you really wanted to and what I often do is to get a couple heavy duty contractor bags and fold them back over themselves then attach to the toilet. Especially if you are in an area where digging a hole wouldn't be possible or very difficult.

You attach them around the top around the square metal part then close the entire lid to hold everything in place. If I don't just dig a pit below the bags work pretty well. Especially if you are in an area where digging a hole wouldn't be possible or very difficult. If you really wanted to and what I often do is to get a couple heavy duty contractor bags and fold them back over themselves then attach to the toilet. Especially if you are in an area where digging a hole wouldn't be possible or very difficult.
Digging a hole is old school and not in line with Leave no Trace.

Here's what we've been using for six years. Being older, we wanted to raise the height of the seat. So I got some plumbing flanges and reducers from Home Depot. I was going to glue the flange and reducer together, but we used them before I had an opportunity, and found that they self-leveled like a gimbal, so left them loose. Works great on uneven terrain. LED light rope around the top for Deb's nighttime excursions. And the TP goes in a plastic coffee container after the one time we didn't and it rained...

View attachment 64128

Now nighttime trips are a bit more convenient. ;)

I don't understand how the pipe flanges can significantly raise the height of the toilet. It looks like it only provides a more stable footing for the legs. Maybe the legs don't reach the bottom of the flange?

@kramme said:
“Maybe the legs don't reach the bottom of the flange?”

Correct. The top piece is a reducer that fits loosely into the flange. The toilet legs only fit in the top portion of the reducer. So the seat sits 2-3” higher than normal.

Thanks for the info, that is a good improvement! Do you have an idea of the dimension of that "reducer"

Thanks for the info, that is a good improvement! Do you have an idea of the dimension of that "reducer"
Probably this one, along with the 4” flange.

It *might* have been three inch to two inch. The trailer isn’t here, so I can’t measure right now. I just took a scrap of 2x4, roughly shaped it like the toilet’s leg, and brought it with me to Home Depot to try various combinations.

PETT toilet for the win. If camping in one spot for more than one night it can be used more than once. Note : My wife and I only use it for BM,s . .....
We are still in our trip out west. Like you we use the bags for BM's but with my wife's bad knee we have found that if we dig a small hole and place the PETT toilet over the hole she can pee I'm comfort. Then just cover it up and dispose of the TP in the trash.

Probably this one, along with the 4” flange.

It *might* have been three inch to two inch. The trailer isn’t here, so I can’t measure right now. I just took a scrap of 2x4, roughly shaped it like the toilet’s leg, and brought it with me to Home Depot to try various combinations.
Thanks very much for the information , my husband is going to Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom