Storage Boxes.

Bodhisattva05X

Adventurist
Over the past two years I have used a couple different bins/boxes to store my camp kitchen, perishable goods and other assorted items. Im talking everything from rubbermaid bins, older hardigg cases, and cardboard boxes. I have been looking at getting a couple of Frontrunner Wolf packs.

But I recently just found these cases on amazon and they are supposedly made in the US and slightly smaller than wolf packs. I am leaning towards these. If anyone has any feedback or other suggestions lets hear them

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php

They look like a nice size. I wish they had straight sides, that's one of the nice things about the Wolf packs...

They look sturdy, the only downsides are what Herbie said about straight sides and the HANDLES. I have handles on my boxes too and they sometimes ruin my packing (yes its that precise) haha

I'm on the hunt for new storage boxes as well. I have also been eyeing the wolf packs but I'm not sure they would meet my needs. Decked storage is making some cool new no boxes that fit into my decked drawers. I should be getting some of those to try out next month when they come out.
Here is what they are going to look like
5db0d3c0f27659d1b33b343633510bfe.jpg

Last edited:
I have Plano 1819 and 1919 cases for gear and a big Stanley job box for the tent (big canvas tents take a lot of room).

The Plano cases are nice and fit really well on the roof rack, they're cheap(ish), water resistant-ish (the 1919 has a rubber o-ring seal), but I don't expect them to last 10 years. The long shape is great for goofy sized stuff like folding camp tables and chairs.

The plastic on the MTM a cases look similar, as do the hinges. I didn't see a photo of the hing, but am guessing they're similar as well.

The MTM cases are $20 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4XL4HM/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i2

That's what I got some 1819s at Academy recently.

Who knows, I might order one just to see. I saw they have a 4" tall version, which would be about perfect for my tools in the van!

Camera gear all goes in Pelicans, though!

Front Runner Flat Pack boxes are hands down my favorite right now. Soft, flexible, inexpensive.

For camp kitchen duty they're hard to beat for inside the vehicle storage.

Front Runner Flat Pack boxes are hands down my favorite right now. Soft, flexible, inexpensive.

For camp kitchen duty they're hard to beat for inside the vehicle storage.
Agreed... I have one that was won at an AAV event and I love the thing. I really need more...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Ordered a set yesterday. Amazon says they will be here Tuesday. I will post my initial impression and pics when I get them. Hopefully I will have time to take a few pics before class.

I have Plano 1819 and 1919 cases for gear and a big Stanley job box for the tent (big canvas tents take a lot of room).

The Plano cases are nice and fit really well on the roof rack, they're cheap(ish), water resistant-ish (the 1919 has a rubber o-ring seal), but I don't expect them to last 10 years. The long shape is great for goofy sized stuff like folding camp tables and chairs.

I use the Plano 1919's as well, as the price fits in my budget. My favorite Plano box though is the 1619. It's a lot smaller, but also seems sturdier. I keep all my fluids and recovery gear in these boxes.

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/accessory-cases/161900

I use the Plano 1919's as well, as the price fits in my budget. My favorite Plano box though is the 1619. It's a lot smaller, but also seems sturdier. I keep all my fluids and recovery gear in these boxes.

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/accessory-cases/161900
If you have an opportunity to do such a thing, would you mind taking a photo of the 1619 next to one of your 1919s? I was looking at a 1619 online but am having problems putting the listed dimensions as a comparative size in my mind (and the local Academy didn't have an 1619s).

If you have an opportunity to do such a thing, would you mind taking a photo of the 1619 next to one of your 1919s? I was looking at a 1619 online but am having problems putting the listed dimensions as a comparative size in my mind (and the local Academy didn't have an 1619s).

Here you go. I got both the 1919's and the 1619's at Walmart.
12391906_1638400463094180_4639959705176986220_n.jpg

I got the boxes in and was initially concerned. But after packing the kitchen stuff, it seems they are going to work perfectly.

In the box I was able to fit:
GSI Pinnacle Camper http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/cooking/pots-pans/pinnacle-camper.html
GSI Destination Kitchen http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/base-camp/kitchen-essentials/destination-kitchen-set-24.html
GSI Java Mill http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/bev...makers/30-fl-oz-javapress.html?color=Graphite
GSI Java Mill http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/beverages-partyware/coffee-espresso-makers/javamill.html
One Liter Kettle
Small Cutting Board
Propane Tank Hose
Propane regulator grill attachment
Stainless steel adult beverage cup
BBQ Lighter
Silicone Pot holder
32oz Nalgene Bottle (use it as a measuring cup)

I am in the midst of trying to figure out storage in the Suburban. As odd as it seems it seems easier to figure out packing and storage in the jeep because everything had to be set just so in order to get it all in. With the burb the options are endless. I saw the Plano boxes at a local sporting goods store. I think I may head that route, to go with multiple sizes from the same company. Never thought about moving recovery gear and fluids to one, but it immediately seems like a good idea, rather than the soft sided ones I was headed for.
Plus I could use them as steps for getting into the back of the truck.

I am in the midst of trying to figure out storage in the Suburban. As odd as it seems it seems easier to figure out packing and storage in the jeep because everything had to be set just so in order to get it all in. With the burb the options are endless. I saw the Plano boxes at a local sporting goods store. I think I may head that route, to go with multiple sizes from the same company. Never thought about moving recovery gear and fluids to one, but it immediately seems like a good idea, rather than the soft sided ones I was headed for.

I'm the opposite. I'm going from my 89 Suburban with a roof rack to my 2000 LX470 (Toyota Land Cruiser) that is going to end up with a RTT. I ended up pairing down my gear and buying a little trailer for when the whole family wants to go.

Those Plano boxes are pretty inexpensive, made domestically, and widely available in the US. Boring.

Wouldn't you prefer to go with something more expensive, made outside the US, only available from one or 2 distributors in the US, and made of an exotic material that can be easily scratched and dented? That seems much more Expedition worthy...

:D I couldn't resist... :D

I'm the opposite. I'm going from my 89 Suburban with a roof rack to my 2000 LX470 (Toyota Land Cruiser) that is going to end up with a RTT. I ended up pairing down my gear and buying a little trailer for when the whole family wants to go.
I found soft sided bags the best when packing space is limited. Pare it out however it suits you. There are often good deals to be found on tough durable tool bags at your local home depot/lowes or harbor freight. Tough and durable, relatively cheap. My kitchen, except for the coleman stove all fits into a backpack made for tools that has a rubber bottom and will stand upright by itself. Perfect.

Those Plano boxes are pretty inexpensive, made domestically, and widely available in the US. Boring.

Wouldn't you prefer to go with something more expensive, made outside the US, only available from one or 2 distributors in the US, and made of an exotic material that can be easily scratched and dented? That seems much more Expedition worthy...

:D I couldn't resist... :D
Haha! You, my friend, have found me out. Totally guilty as charged... happily so.;) I think at the next opportunity we need to share a beer or two around a campfire...

Haha! You, my friend, have found me out. Totally guilty as charged... happily so.;) I think at the next opportunity we need to share a beer or two around a campfire...

Hey - I'm from American Adventurist. I'm here to help... :D

Back
Top Bottom