Someone will know....

cali_camper

Adventurist
My son and I just had a great spring break road trip through Arizona and Nevada. We did a little bit of everything from campsites to BLM land to hotels.

We did dispersed camping in two different places. Both times we slept in my Honda Element which was very comfortable. The first time we passed a motorhome but otherwise had total privacy. The second time it was pretty crowded. Privacy wasn't really my biggest concern though. What I didn't like was waking up at 6AM because of the sun. By the second time I figured out which windows to block. Then I remembered that I had dealt with this before and I was going to make a curtain or something but never did.

Here is the actual question. I've decided to cut cardboard into the shape of the windows that I can just push into the frames. I will add a pull tab to get them back out. Is there any advantage to spraying the window side of the cardboard silver or adding mylar? I think I'll want to do summer trips and that will help with the heat

Ha ha! I know its a ghetto solution, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend the money on the trips than on stuff. :redface

I am also open to other ideas anyone may have. Thanks!

I may be over thinking this but white poster board or plastic Real Estate sign material? I'm cheap also!! Opps, I meant practical :D

Reflectix. Inexpensive mylar layered over bubble wrap essentially used primarily as insulation. Cut it to the shape of your windows, a little velcro, imagination, easily rolled up and stored.

Snip
Here is the actual question. I've decided to cut cardboard into the shape of the windows that I can just push into the frames. I will add a pull tab to get them back out. Is there any advantage to spraying the window side of the cardboard silver or adding mylar? I think I'll want to do summer trips and that will help with the heat

Ha ha! I know its a ghetto solution, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend the money on the trips than on stuff. :redface

I am also open to other ideas anyone may have. Thanks!

Reflectix. Inexpensive mylar layered over bubble wrap essentially used primarily as insulation. Cut it to the shape of your windows, a little velcro, imagination, easily rolled up and stored.

Look for windshield shades made of reflectix, more effective than cardboard and really cheap. I've used them as insulating layers in hammocks. Tim's idea is the way to go.

Stay cool my friends
-Andy

That reflectix stuff works really well for backpacking as a food in a bag cozy.

[video=youtube;-FTln2_5Pgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FTln2_5Pgo[/video]

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but have you looked into reflectix?? Hahaha.. honestly, I've seen it in action, and after the drv 2015 trip, I'm thinking about getting some to put in my windows of the cab of my truck to cool the cab down so my fridge doesn't have to work quite as hard.

I used a big sheet of Reflectix under my mattress in the RTT. It helped to radiate body heat back up and the moisture buildup underneath was pretty much nonexistent after that. I will use some more under the queen bed in the FWC Hawk for sure. I use a small windshield reflector for the camper's side window and of course one for the F150's windshield.

I used it as a thermal and sound deadening material on the floor of my truck... cut panels to length and secured it with aluminized tape it's essentially a carpet underneath the vehicle fabric carpet. I've referred Reflectix to several others who have used it similarly on the interior roofs and decks of their vehicle cabins who report favorably on their results. It's a very effective low cost alternative to more expensive sound deadening/thermal adhesive-backed panels.

I used 3/16 Black on White foam core (I get it free at work) Put the black side out, I have tinted windows so it just looks like the tint is dark, and the white side reflects the light inside. Works great in the camper shell

I used 3/16 Black on White foam core (I get it free at work) Put the black side out, I have tinted windows so it just looks like the tint is dark, and the white side reflects the light inside. Works great in the camper shell
If I ever get around to putting a shell on my truck, I may need to see if i can buy some from you or something. Sounds like good stuff.

Another vote for Reflectix. I cut panels for the five HUGE windows in my van, right before a trip when I was struggling to get a curtain rod solution figured out. That was 4 years ago, the reflectix has worked so well I never went back to the curtain project...

I've been trying to come up with a solution for curtains in my trailer windows, this sounds even better. A little hook'n loop, Reflextix and I should be good to go.
Thanks,
Dale

Another vote for Reflectix. I cut panels for the five HUGE windows in my van, right before a trip when I was struggling to get a curtain rod solution figured out. That was 4 years ago, the reflectix has worked so well I never went back to the curtain project...

Thanks, everyone!

Herbie, did you just hold it up to the window and trace along the inside?

Thanks, everyone!

Herbie, did you just hold it up to the window and trace along the inside?

More or less. I think I measured the height/width and cut the rectangles then did a little final shaping to fit the curves for the rear pair. I also had to cut "slits" so that the forward pair will sit over the clamp-latches for the tilt-out middle windows. Most importantly: I made them slightly oversized, so they mostly friction-fit into the gaps of the plastic trim around the windows.

For the rear hatch window (which opens ~120°), I used a hole punch to put 6 holes in the corners and middle of top/bottom edge and put some cheap suction cups through the holes. This lets me stick that one to the glass so it stays in place even with the hatch opening/closing throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom